Duck Creek

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Duck Creek

Postby Cliner » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:53 pm

Just got back from my family reunion in Puxico over the weekend and had the pleasure to stop by and look at Mingo and Duck Creek. Interesting place. The headquarters is way bigger than the ones up here. It's a huge place and kind of tough to navigate to different pools. Thought the timber holes where they have blinds was pretty neat. The giant refuge lake in the middle of it looks really annoying. Seems like the birds would flock in there, sit down and never leave. Set up sort of reminded me of Schell Osage

It was crazy because there was still a good amount of water everywhere. All the rains down there really put it on there. Do they plant corn or beans there? I didn't see any, but I also didn't make it up to the units in the northwest corner. Anyway, I'm possibly making a trip down there this fall. Hopefully I'll run into a few of you SEMO boys down there.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri


Re: Duck Creek

Postby Thedozer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:18 pm

I'll probably see ya down there.
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:11 am

Re: Duck Creek

Postby Cliner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:27 am

Thedozer wrote:I'll probably see ya down there.


Yea, I guess you can ride down with me :lol3:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: Duck Creek

Postby kdog » Thu Jul 04, 2013 9:37 pm

yes corn and beans ,,,,,,,











in the refuge
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
User avatar
kdog
hunter
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:37 pm
Location: missery "The devil"

Re: Duck Creek

Postby talltimber » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:13 pm

Burrs everywhere else
User avatar
talltimber
hunter
 
Posts: 1785
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am
Location: SEMO

Re: Duck Creek

Postby Cliner » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:28 pm

kdog wrote:yes corn and beans ,,,,,,,











in the refuge


Seems like par for the course when it comes to MDC
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: Duck Creek

Postby talltimber » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:32 am

They did a lot of work there, supposedly finished it last year. I didn't hunt DC one time last year, actually hunted OS a few times. Backasswards as the way it normally is. Before last year I hadn't hunt OS at all in about 3 or 4 yrs, maybe longer.
The area you didn't go to and the first area you get to after leaving hq, on the left before crossing the bridge/lake levee, is where the crops will normally be if there is any. Lots of work in units a and b, I'd be lost there now.
User avatar
talltimber
hunter
 
Posts: 1785
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am
Location: SEMO

Re: Duck Creek

Postby Thedozer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Do you need a boat to hunt it?
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter
 
Posts: 571
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:11 am

Re: Duck Creek

Postby sehunter1 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:03 pm

You dont "need" a boat but if you have one equipped for a shallow setup I recommend it. Saves alot of walking for fat boys like me. And I am notorious for enjoying a very big decoy spread so it helps pack all those dekes around. Im putting a blind on mine and plan to use it down there this year.
sehunter1
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:21 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Duck Creek

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:24 pm

It's been said before, but DC has gotten more and more backasswards here in the past few years.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
User avatar
MODuckkiller
hunter
 
Posts: 1599
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:54 am
Location: Missouri, Louisiana

Re: Duck Creek

Postby talltimber » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:34 am

sehunter1 wrote:You dont "need" a boat but if you have one equipped for a shallow setup I recommend it. Saves alot of walking for fat boys like me. And I am notorious for enjoying a very big decoy spread so it helps pack all those dekes around. Im putting a blind on mine and plan to use it down there this year.


X2
User avatar
talltimber
hunter
 
Posts: 1785
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am
Location: SEMO

Re: Duck Creek

Postby 870shooter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:07 pm

Here's a picture of that "huge" headquarters on a typical Saturday or Sunday since the QD has started. At least half of these people would have normally been at OS for the drawing instead of DC. And this is when A & B units were closed for construction.
Attachments
DSC04830.JPG
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator
 
Posts: 748
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:00 am

Re: Duck Creek

Postby Cliner » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:39 pm

I guess it's not quite as wide as I thought but it's still pretty big. That's a bummer. Same thing happened with us up here because of Grand Pass being a QD
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 971
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: Duck Creek

Postby sehunter1 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:00 am

870shooter wrote:Here's a picture of that "huge" headquarters on a typical Saturday or Sunday since the QD has started. At least half of these people would have normally been at OS for the drawing instead of DC. And this is when A & B units were closed for construction.


I think I see myself! Lord help me if the little woman finds out my picture is plastered all over the Internet :biggrin:
sehunter1
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:21 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Duck Creek

Postby 870shooter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:20 pm

sehunter1 wrote:I think I see myself! Lord help me if the little woman finds out my picture is plastered all over the Internet :biggrin:


Dang, I hope it won't get you in trouble with your woman. Let me guess, when you left at 3am you told her you were going to the strip club and she will be mad if she finds out you were really going hunting. :lol3: (In the long run strip clubs are a lot cheaper so I can understand why she may be upset) :thumbsup:
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator
 
Posts: 748
Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:00 am

Re: Duck Creek

Postby sehunter1 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:23 am

870shooter wrote:
sehunter1 wrote:I think I see myself! Lord help me if the little woman finds out my picture is plastered all over the Internet :biggrin:


Dang, I hope it won't get you in trouble with your woman. Let me guess, when you left at 3am you told her you were going to the strip club and she will be mad if she finds out you were really going hunting. :lol3: (In the long run strip clubs are a lot cheaper so I can understand why she may be upset) :thumbsup:


Sir, you sound like a man that has dealt with the female mindset before. :thumbsup: there was a time that dear sweet woman didn't care how much I duck hunted or visited establishments of ill repute. But in the budding phase of our courtship, lacking restraint, I messed it all up. It was December 28th and the migration was ON! I had poorlined 7 consecutive days and hunted a friends lease 6 consecutive afternoons. I was beat, needed a shave, and was surviving on truck stop coffee, truck stop bologna and the occasional accidental swallow of dip spit. Right about the time I was falling asleep on the drive home my new girlfriend called, apparently to remind me that I hadn't seen nor practically spoken to her in 8 days. After promising to spend more time with her and remember to pay bills from November to January I talked her into a night on the town. One thing led to another and before long we were on our way to a local gentlemans club. The lack of food and decent sleep for a week can really mess with a guys tolerance and it didn't take long for an evil twin to surface. Following friends to the main stage I fumbled for a single, which was quickly snatched by a nice lady missing the top half of her outfit who proceeded to school me in some mma choke hold. The rest of the night my girlfriend didn't speak which was quite nice as tired as I was. The next morning though her voice became a roar! Funny thing is she was more upset about the ducks than the dancer. All morning with "how can you care about ducks so much more than me?" so I muttered the only thing I thought might save my sorry azz. Hun, come with me and see what a good time it is! Now I don't have an issue with women that hunt, I'm all for it, but the little miss is on the prissy side and I don't do complaining well so I immediately regretted my statement. But what's done was done and we were soon on the way to get her new waders. Once picked out she couldn't wait to get in the marsh and see what the fuss is all about. And this gentlemen is the secret to never having to pick up your own ducks again!
sehunter1
hunter
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:21 pm
Location: Missouri

Re: Duck Creek

Postby RIVER RAT 1 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:34 pm

Cliner wrote:Just got back from my family reunion in Puxico over the weekend and had the pleasure to stop by and look at Mingo and Duck Creek. Interesting place. The headquarters is way bigger than the ones up here. It's a huge place and kind of tough to navigate to different pools. Thought the timber holes where they have blinds was pretty neat. The giant refuge lake in the middle of it looks really annoying. Seems like the birds would flock in there, sit down and never leave. Set up sort of reminded me of Schell Osage

It was crazy because there was still a good amount of water everywhere. All the rains down there really put it on there. Do they plant corn or beans there? I didn't see any, but I also didn't make it up to the units in the northwest corner. Anyway, I'm possibly making a trip down there this fall. Hopefully I'll run into a few of you SEMO boys down there.


My family reunion is in Puxico too !! lol maybe I need to ride with you.. haha hunted Duck Creek more than I care to talk about.. lol
be on the x or go home.
RIVER RAT 1
hunter
 
Posts: 555
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:24 pm
Location: oak grove mo


Return to Missouri Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cride1 and 3 guests