Black face paint

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

Black face paint

Postby swampchicken » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:58 am

How many of you guys actually wear the crap? Talked to a younger fellow over the fourth that was sure of himself that it was needed so the ducks didn't see you. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Guess he must've been a duck dynasty recruit!
swampchicken
hunter

Re: Black face paint

Postby txhunter90 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:05 am

Ive worn it for 7 years, first started out with a burnt cork. Lol nowadays that's what people think is required cause of good ole dd

TX
txhunter90
hunter

Postby Cliner » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:34 pm

Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:45 pm

Personally I like the stuff but I don't use just black, grey and brown work for me. I can't stand to have a face mask on and the paint is much more comfortable. I usually do the calling in our group so keeping my face to the water at all times just isn't possible. I used to put very little stock into covering my face until a friend snapped some pictures of our group from out in the decoys. The stigma around a full beard and face paint does kinda suck. I've looked the same way for years but it seems the robertsons have stolen my thunder. :no:
sehunter1
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:04 pm

I used to wear it here and there 4 or 5 years ago, especially on cloudy overcast days. But if you put your face down, I don't think its really needed.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:06 am

If I'm just plopped down in some cattails or brush I'll use some burnt cork. but I dont use it if im in a blind.

but some scruff on the face is nice during duck season. My girl hates it when I dont shave for duck season :lol3:
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby 870shooter » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:58 pm

Ask anyone that has been involved in the aerial waterfowl counts at the CAs. They will tell you that even in the blinds those white faces show up like spot lights. True enough if you keep your head down it won't be seen but too many are not disciplined enough to do this. We use either face paint or a face mask.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:27 pm

i think it is needed from time to time and depending on the situation - here is where i have used it before:

-hunting out of layouts (boat or land) and you need to watch the birds and call
-wade and shoot spots
-sparse cover or spots with limited ability to hide

when hunting out of a pit we are normally pretty good with keeping our faces down and/or having plenty of cover/vegetation to conceal our faces. but as some have mentioned, a face will stick out when seen from above or when looking out across the marsh/field.

i understand the reluctance b/c the dynasty boys have almost become too popular. or they have become too popular depending on how you look at it....but there is a reason they've worn it all those years. and since i am a betting man, i would bet that they wear face paint because it works.

who cares what you look like as long as you are getting chances to shoot birds. i think we would all wear tiaras, crowns, clown suits, and Mr T starter kits if birds were attracted to that sort of thing. hey, anything for the ducks man!
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:44 pm

I have hunted with the guys that fly around and count the little ducks and have flown around also myself and i will tell you it is never needed unless you look strait up at the person flying overhead. I also dont understand the thinking of painting your face black while in corn. sticks out like a sore thumb when you fly over. Also see alot of black faces and white caller hands two contrasting colors when calling ducks. Do you guys paint your calling hand also?
Last edited by swampchicken on Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:47 pm

If your in a layout blind there's no need. But like other have mentioned before, your skin will shine like a mirror to the ducks up above. If your too proud to put some charcoal on your face atleast wear a mask or brown bandana :thumbsup: Stop worrying about what the duck commanders do :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:28 pm

wanapasaki wrote:If your in a layout blind there's no need. But like other have mentioned before, your skin will shine like a mirror to the ducks up above. If your too proud to put some charcoal on your face atleast wear a mask or brown bandana :thumbsup: Stop worrying about what the duck commanders do :lol3:

Not too proud just have never seen the point of wearing that crap! And dont understand why people think it is needed when its not!
swampchicken
hunter

Postby Cliner » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:07 pm

swampchicken wrote:
wanapasaki wrote:If your in a layout blind there's no need. But like other have mentioned before, your skin will shine like a mirror to the ducks up above. If your too proud to put some charcoal on your face atleast wear a mask or brown bandana :thumbsup: Stop worrying about what the duck commanders do :lol3:

Not too proud just have never seen the point of wearing that crap! And dont understand why people think it is needed when its not!

The entire sport is based off of having things that aren't needed. To understand, is impossible. :beer:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby swampchicken » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:00 pm

Cliner wrote:
swampchicken wrote:

The entire sport is based off of having things that aren't needed. To understand, is impossible. :beer:

That is very true :beer:
swampchicken
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:21 pm

I always wear something on my face!! I don't need it on in the draw shed though!!!! :no: :lol3:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Been wearing it since I was a kid and my dad always painted me up. Years before I knew the duck commander crew. Use it, dont use it, I dont care. But if you are in my blind its not an option. 4 or 5 curious heads movin around cant be great for working birds. I will continue to support facial artists for many more years! Good hunting! :beer:
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby txhunter90 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Yep get up to early and work to hard for white faces flaring the birds

TX
txhunter90
hunter

Postby BKScripto » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:23 pm

I like to wear it so I won't worry about flaring birds. But damn if I see someone I know at the boat dock on the way in they rag the heck outta me for wearing it. I'm not a fan of Duck Dynasty, and was hunting ducks when I had no clue who Phil Robertson was.
BKScripto
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 12:31 pm

Cant stand a face mask!!!! So have wore face paint for like 10 years now But i dont put it on till we get the decoys set! :no:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:03 pm

If im hunting private ground, or turkey, or anything else I apply mine before breakfast haha. But I love when the public land show boaters come in painted up and pull a 147 pill!! makes my day, even if im 148! You know the guys im talking about!!
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:26 pm

fowlhabit4 wrote:If im hunting private ground, or turkey, or anything else I apply mine before breakfast haha. But I love when the public land show boaters come in painted up and pull a 147 pill!! makes my day, even if im 148! You know the guys im talking about!!

Those are the same guys that come in with waders already on and calls around their necks. I'm barely ready to get my waders on at the boat ramp, let alone before the drive to the CA :lol3:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:29 pm

if you've got faces sticking out of the tops of a layout (read --> not under the mesh covering and not totally in the blind) looking at circling geese/ducks or maybe just peeking out from the blind, i believe it is needed. now this isn't ideal, to have a bunch of people watching the birds. but if someone is calling, they need to watch the birds reactions and act accordingly. often times it is just me and another guy who hunts layouts and we both call and we both watch birds. we wear it.

we have a corn field we hunt that is in a large low spot in a 150+ acre field. there is a ridge/hill that runs through it and from there you can see faces sticking out of layout blinds. if i can see that, you bet your a** the birds can see it too. :hammer:

i have never found it ideal to hide under the mesh stuff in either blind i use when calling. maybe i need a different blind? when it comes to hands, i will keep them hidden as much as possible or wear a very light weight camo skinz type glove at times.

in the corn, no black face paint. some gray color, maybe some green too.

to each their own - no right or wrong here.

stay calm & face paint on! or dont
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Sprigs68 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:28 pm

Have considered it a few times over the years, but don't think I could handle looking at my buds faces all morning with the war paint. I probably couldn't stop thinking of wolverines, red dawn and who would be playing Patrick Swayze. Wolverines!!!
Sprigs68
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:30 pm

Cliner wrote:
fowlhabit4 wrote:If im hunting private ground, or turkey, or anything else I apply mine before breakfast haha. But I love when the public land show boaters come in painted up and pull a 147 pill!! makes my day, even if im 148! You know the guys im talking about!!

Those are the same guys that come in with waders already on and calls around their necks. I'm barely ready to get my waders on at the boat ramp, let alone before the drive to the CA :lol3:

HAHAHA I sweat bullets when its crowded, I couldnt imagine being in waders and my parka! Love it when they have there calls around there necks. Unfortunately its always the young guns. 16 to 20 ish. I love the younger guys getting involved but it makes me sick to my stomach to see this sport go more towards the fashion statement and coolness factor over the true love for waterfowl and the sport revolving around it.
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby Thedozer » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 pm

Cliner we will be wearing it in the shed opening morning whether you like it or not. No questions asked.
Good enough for the girls I date.
Thedozer
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:40 pm

:lol:
fowlhabit4
hunter

Next

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting