Duck Hunting Forum banner

Black face paint

4K views 38 replies 18 participants last post by  missouriducks 
#1 ·
How many of you guys actually wear the crap? Talked to a younger fellow over the fourth that was sure of himself that it was needed so the ducks didn't see you. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3: Guess he must've been a duck dynasty recruit!

#4 ·
Personally I like the stuff but I don't use just black, grey and brown work for me. I can't stand to have a face mask on and the paint is much more comfortable. I usually do the calling in our group so keeping my face to the water at all times just isn't possible. I used to put very little stock into covering my face until a friend snapped some pictures of our group from out in the decoys. The stigma around a full beard and face paint does kinda suck. I've looked the same way for years but it seems the robertsons have stolen my thunder. :no:

#7 ·
Ask anyone that has been involved in the aerial waterfowl counts at the CAs. They will tell you that even in the blinds those white faces show up like spot lights. True enough if you keep your head down it won't be seen but too many are not disciplined enough to do this. We use either face paint or a face mask.

#8 ·
i think it is needed from time to time and depending on the situation - here is where i have used it before:

-hunting out of layouts (boat or land) and you need to watch the birds and call
-wade and shoot spots
-sparse cover or spots with limited ability to hide

when hunting out of a pit we are normally pretty good with keeping our faces down and/or having plenty of cover/vegetation to conceal our faces. but as some have mentioned, a face will stick out when seen from above or when looking out across the marsh/field.

i understand the reluctance b/c the dynasty boys have almost become too popular. or they have become too popular depending on how you look at it....but there is a reason they've worn it all those years. and since i am a betting man, i would bet that they wear face paint because it works.

who cares what you look like as long as you are getting chances to shoot birds. i think we would all wear tiaras, crowns, clown suits, and Mr T starter kits if birds were attracted to that sort of thing. hey, anything for the ducks man!

#9 ·
I have hunted with the guys that fly around and count the little ducks and have flown around also myself and i will tell you it is never needed unless you look strait up at the person flying overhead. I also dont understand the thinking of painting your face black while in corn. sticks out like a sore thumb when you fly over. Also see alot of black faces and white caller hands two contrasting colors when calling ducks. Do you guys paint your calling hand also?

#10 ·
If your in a layout blind there's no need. But like other have mentioned before, your skin will shine like a mirror to the ducks up above. If your too proud to put some charcoal on your face atleast wear a mask or brown bandana :thumbsup: Stop worrying about what the duck commanders do :lol3:

#11 ·
wanapasaki said:
If your in a layout blind there's no need. But like other have mentioned before, your skin will shine like a mirror to the ducks up above. If your too proud to put some charcoal on your face atleast wear a mask or brown bandana :thumbsup: Stop worrying about what the duck commanders do :lol3:
Not too proud just have never seen the point of wearing that crap! And dont understand why people think it is needed when its not!

#12 ·
swampchicken said:
wanapasaki said:
Not too proud just have never seen the point of wearing that crap! And dont understand why people think it is needed when its not!
The entire sport is based off of having things that aren't needed. To understand, is impossible. :beer:

#13 ·
Cliner said:
swampchicken said:
wanapasaki said:
The entire sport is based off of having things that aren't needed. To understand, is impossible. :beer:
That is very true :beer:

#15 ·
Been wearing it since I was a kid and my dad always painted me up. Years before I knew the duck commander crew. Use it, dont use it, I dont care. But if you are in my blind its not an option. 4 or 5 curious heads movin around cant be great for working birds. I will continue to support facial artists for many more years! Good hunting! :beer:

#18 ·
Cant stand a face mask!!!! So have wore face paint for like 10 years now But i dont put it on till we get the decoys set! :no:

#20 ·
fowlhabit4 said:
If im hunting private ground, or turkey, or anything else I apply mine before breakfast haha. But I love when the public land show boaters come in painted up and pull a 147 pill!! makes my day, even if im 148! You know the guys im talking about!!
Those are the same guys that come in with waders already on and calls around their necks. I'm barely ready to get my waders on at the boat ramp, let alone before the drive to the CA :lol3:

#21 ·
if you've got faces sticking out of the tops of a layout (read --> not under the mesh covering and not totally in the blind) looking at circling geese/ducks or maybe just peeking out from the blind, i believe it is needed. now this isn't ideal, to have a bunch of people watching the birds. but if someone is calling, they need to watch the birds reactions and act accordingly. often times it is just me and another guy who hunts layouts and we both call and we both watch birds. we wear it.

we have a corn field we hunt that is in a large low spot in a 150+ acre field. there is a ridge/hill that runs through it and from there you can see faces sticking out of layout blinds. if i can see that, you bet your a** the birds can see it too. :hammer:

i have never found it ideal to hide under the mesh stuff in either blind i use when calling. maybe i need a different blind? when it comes to hands, i will keep them hidden as much as possible or wear a very light weight camo skinz type glove at times.

in the corn, no black face paint. some gray color, maybe some green too.

to each their own - no right or wrong here.

stay calm & face paint on! or dont

#23 ·
Cliner said:
fowlhabit4 said:
If im hunting private ground, or turkey, or anything else I apply mine before breakfast haha. But I love when the public land show boaters come in painted up and pull a 147 pill!! makes my day, even if im 148! You know the guys im talking about!!
Those are the same guys that come in with waders already on and calls around their necks. I'm barely ready to get my waders on at the boat ramp, let alone before the drive to the CA :lol3:
HAHAHA I sweat bullets when its crowded, I couldnt imagine being in waders and my parka! Love it when they have there calls around there necks. Unfortunately its always the young guns. 16 to 20 ish. I love the younger guys getting involved but it makes me sick to my stomach to see this sport go more towards the fashion statement and coolness factor over the true love for waterfowl and the sport revolving around it.

#26 ·
fowlhabit4 said:
But I love when the public land show boaters come in painted up and pull a 147 pill!! makes my day, even if im 148! You know the guys im talking about!!
Its all about confindence and looking good while your doing it!!!! :lol3: :lol3: :hammer:
Guys (kids actually but im 30 and is hard to call someone kids..) had the black paint on THICK on morning.. Buddy came back from the draw box with like 200 and one of them goes "Dangit we wasted this face paint!!" :lol3: :clapping: My group busted up laughing, couldnt help it!! They looked at us and we go theres a wal-mart in marshall you can stop and buy more makeup!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.