Teal? southeast...

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Teal? southeast...

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:04 pm

Gonna try teal season this year, just wondering if ten mile pond was a draw hunt like the slough is or not. if not, how crowded does it get and do they even have enough food/ flooded pools worth hunting? not cyber scouting, dont wanna know the good spots and what have you, just curious and trying to get all of my "ducks in a row" before the teal opener lol. also, anything good with coon island? do they even have anything flooded in sep?
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Re: Teal? southeast...

Postby Rory » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:49 pm

TMP sucks teal hunting, no food, no water, too crowded, nowhere to hunt don't go. No good regular season either..
Rory
hunter

Postby kingbob04 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:09 am

does anybody know if B.K. leach, marie temps cliar, or ted shanks are any good for teal. This will be my first time targeting teal and just wanted to know if i was wasting my time on the public lands.
kingbob04
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:23 am

i've hunted Leach for teal opener the past 3 years. is the only CA i've ever hunted for teal. have done great on the opener getting my limit in pretty short order typically. But, be prepared for organized chaos as i'm sure most CA's are for teal opener. people everywhere, setting up close to you, walking in late, etc. despite that, i've not had any really bad experiences there. you just need to go with the expectation that it will be crazy. people i've run into have all been respectful. after the opener, hardly see any other hunters, but never do as well either. i always debate on going for the opener cause its so nuts, but end up going cause its duck season and i have to! won't be there this year for the opener as i've got a private spot now, but prolly try it out later in the teal season. should also mention that there won't be much water probably so you need to do some pre-work to find out which pools have water.
good luck!
MODAKR
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:14 pm

my idea was to hunt somewhere where after the morning teal hunt we could go kill a limit of doves nearby in the afternoon/ evening. thats the only reason i sugested tmp. i know coon island and duck creek as well as otter slough shoulkd be ok for hunting, but some of thoose places you can only hunt till noon so there wouldnt be much time for dove hunting would there?
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:15 pm

unless they let you stay longer than noon? im not sure...
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby Rory » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:44 pm

You're not going to kill teal past 8 or 9 o'clock most likely anyway.
Rory
hunter

Postby kingbob04 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Good to know about bk, I was out there last weekend and the old river slough was still flooded, with no corn. Hopefully this wont hurt teal season to bad.
kingbob04
hunter

Postby Cliner » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:22 pm

kingbob04 wrote:Good to know about bk, I was out there last weekend and the old river slough was still flooded, with no corn. Hopefully this wont hurt teal season to bad.

Teal aren't going to be interested in corn this early anyway. Go to a moist soil unit and you'll be find. Hell, find a ditch and set up a mojo and a few dekes
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:34 pm

I agree with Cliner... Teal are such a circus it's not even funny. Pretty sure you could kill some without decoys at all (in a good year). Last year, was talkin with an old timer in the parking lot after I got my 4. He was just there to watch the circus. Could have killed a limit standing in the parking lot as they buzzed over and around us while we chatted!
MODAKR
hunter

Postby oktakem » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:53 am

MTC is a draw on weekends. I agree with the previous statement BK is crazy. Need to be there by 7 the night before. It's kinda stupid to be honest, they need to go to a draw. Shanks isn't much different. Don't waste your time at Columbia Bottoms.....if they even have water by then!
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:23 am

Lows this week for central NoDak are mid-40's!!! Who thinks this will make some of the BWTs start to move??? I'd have to think it would.... I normally go up to visit NoDak in June but didn't make it this year. Don't really have an idea if birds hatched normal time or were later like everything else. I know pheasants hatched later up there probably cause their first broods drowned in all the may rain.
MODAKR
hunter

Postby PDO » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:42 am

Lot of birds still can't fly. Many adults in or soon to be molting. Temps don't matter too much for teal. It is all about day length, moon phase, and then catching the right front they can ride down when the time of year is right.

Could snow in Canada, but we won't see a push until the time is right. Last week of August we will start to see some of the old males. Count on 90% showing up days before it starts.

PO
PDO
hunter

Postby kingbob04 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:10 pm

How early do you need to get out at BK leach to even get a good spot.
kingbob04
hunter

Postby kdog » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Guys sleep in their cars in the parking lots at bk .....simply ridiculous
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby kingbob04 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:46 am

should i worry about buying teal decoys or will Millard decoys work. And how big of a spend.
kingbob04
hunter

Postby hannibal » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:37 pm

Two baby mojos, 12 hen mallard decoys.........giddyup!!!
hannibal
hunter

Postby talltimber » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:24 pm

Hahaha. Yeah boy.
talltimber
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:58 am

i guess my biggest question is simply is there enough teal to attempt a hunt at tmp, that way i can hunt teal then dove hunt once im done. if not, can you dove hunt afternoon at coon island in the other two conservation fileds up the road, or does that stop at noon too? i guess either way im likely to kill a few teal and a few dove hopefully.
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby Cliner » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:58 am

CUT'EM ALL JACK wrote:i guess my biggest question is simply is there enough teal to attempt a hunt at tmp, that way i can hunt teal then dove hunt once im done. if not, can you dove hunt afternoon at coon island in the other two conservation fileds up the road, or does that stop at noon too? i guess either way im likely to kill a few teal and a few dove hopefully.

If you're expecting someone to tell you "there are tons of teal and plenty of room for everyone", you're not going to like what you read. Just go try it if you're so inquisitive. If you're worried about two hunts, you can knock on a door for dove hunting.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby talltimber » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:57 pm

No teal at tmp. A guy I know drove it the other day and didn't get back with me, so that tells me he didn't see any. We're tight like that.
talltimber
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:33 am

Best spot on tmp to kill limits of teal is n pool.
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby duckslayer25 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Teal hunting leach is a damn joke my buddy shows up with 20-30 people at midnight to take up the whole area. They act like there the best duck hunters out there when teal are the stupidest duck known to man kind. Yes at times leach is good for teal but you'll fight crowds and to me its not worth it. I hunted shanks and limited out several times without any other hunters to mess with ya or step on your toes
duckslayer25
Newb

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:13 pm

Mjcraig and I was at CB for a dove hunt and there was no water at all. Talked to Andy and he said they have an electrical problem with the pump and they are hoping to have a little water by regular season. Very little moist soil up yet and no crops. He said TS got the worst of the flood with several levi breaks and its a wasteland in the pools. Headquarters were still sandbagged as of a week ago. BK did not flood. water got to top of levi. MTC is pretty much like CB only they will have water. They will have a draw on the weekend. With no cover this season it looks like a layout boat year.
BigAL64
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting