Public Area

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Public Area

Postby fowlhabit4 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:26 pm

How would you guys run your own public area? Daily draw? Yearly? Reservations? Shell limits? Etc. Just for fun.
fowlhabit4
hunter
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 pm
Location: Columbia MO


Re: Public Area

Postby oktakem » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:47 am

Issue 90% reservations and go back to the old days of rolling out a pill and you get what comes out! You have the choice of throwing it back and going home or to the poor line or taking it. Close all hunting at 1 pm. Bring 10 cases of shells if you want, your dime! I know my opinion won't be popular but oh well. I know I'm not the only one who likes a change like this. :biggrin:
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
User avatar
oktakem
hunter
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo.

Re: Public Area

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:57 am

100% freelance
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
User avatar
SPatrick
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am
Location: MO

Re: Public Area

Postby SPatrick » Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:58 am

and all hunting closed by 1.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
User avatar
SPatrick
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am
Location: MO

Re: Public Area

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:04 am

1 way in 1 way out, 1 boat ramp no roads all through out the area, actually have to work and not just park on side of road and walk 100 yards and toss out decoys, all open hunt, close at 1:00 PM
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
User avatar
i_willie12
hunter
 
Posts: 4283
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Marshall MO

Re: Public Area

Postby swampchicken » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:45 am

I would implement a Quick Draw system! :welcome:
swampchicken
hunter
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 am
Location: central mo

Re: Public Area

Postby fowlhabit4 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:28 pm

I would love minimal access! Its to easy for the morons out there. I don't like freelance, unless the access is minimal!
fowlhabit4
hunter
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 pm
Location: Columbia MO

Re: Public Area

Postby SPatrick » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:33 am

Number of access points would depend on the size of the place IMO. Place like shanks or GP you could get away with a 3 or 4 points of entrance. Place like MTC would probably only be one point, two tops.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
User avatar
SPatrick
State Moderator
 
Posts: 2048
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am
Location: MO

Re: Public Area

Postby Cliner » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:39 pm

SPatrick wrote:Number of access points would depend on the size of the place IMO. Place like shanks or GP you could get away with a 3 or 4 points of entrance. Place like MTC would probably only be one point, two tops.


The problem with GP is that there are like 3 parking lots per pool and they dump right into the pool, not through a channel or anything. The model parking lot IMO is the parking lot/boat ramp for Pintail Chute at Bob Brown. It's way away from the pool and there's 1 channel into the pool itself
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: Public Area

Postby fowlhabit4 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:49 pm

3 mile ditch is like that at shanks
fowlhabit4
hunter
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 pm
Location: Columbia MO

Re: Public Area

Postby swampchicken » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:14 am

fowlhabit4 wrote:I would love minimal access! Its to easy for the morons out there. I don't like freelance, unless the access is minimal!


Its so easy for them right now that they still end up getting confused and hunt in the refuge boundries! :lol3:
swampchicken
hunter
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 am
Location: central mo

Re: Public Area

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:06 am

come on guys, give the beginners a break. they get such a bad rap on this site, we all had to start somewhere. i don't like hunting next to yahoos either, but it comes with the territory on public areas. and not all beginners hunt like a**holes. my 2 cents:

-i like a good mix of quick draw and poor man
-i like easy access to the pools & i think the easier the better
-shells, two boxes - no more. but who would want to police that crap?
-better, more detailed maps of the area
-rice! if the soil conditions are good for it
-would love some flooded timber stands
-no fixed blinds except for handicap areas
-better hunting/food plots in harder to reach locations on each pool
-wardens/agents actively patrolling areas & out in the pools (but not getting in the way too much)
-hunting done at 1pm
-someone in your party has 2+ years waterfowling experience
-spots for field hunting in layouts
User avatar
SMcGarrity
hunter
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Public Area

Postby Cliner » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:22 pm

SMcGarrity wrote:come on guys, give the beginners a break. they get such a bad rap on this site, we all had to start somewhere. i don't like hunting next to yahoos either, but it comes with the territory on public areas. and not all beginners hunt like a**holes. my 2 cents:

-i like a good mix of quick draw and poor man
-i like easy access to the pools & i think the easier the better
-shells, two boxes - no more. but who would want to police that crap?
-better, more detailed maps of the area
-rice! if the soil conditions are good for it
-would love some flooded timber stands
-no fixed blinds except for handicap areas
-better hunting/food plots in harder to reach locations on each pool
-wardens/agents actively patrolling areas & out in the pools (but not getting in the way too much)
-hunting done at 1pm
-someone in your party has 2+ years waterfowling experience
-spots for field hunting in layouts


Sounds like you want a private club :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: Public Area

Postby SMcGarrity » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:17 pm

Cliner wrote:
SMcGarrity wrote:come on guys, give the beginners a break. they get such a bad rap on this site, we all had to start somewhere. i don't like hunting next to yahoos either, but it comes with the territory on public areas. and not all beginners hunt like a**holes. my 2 cents:

-i like a good mix of quick draw and poor man
-i like easy access to the pools & i think the easier the better
-shells, two boxes - no more. but who would want to police that crap?
-better, more detailed maps of the area
-rice! if the soil conditions are good for it
-would love some flooded timber stands
-no fixed blinds except for handicap areas
-better hunting/food plots in harder to reach locations on each pool
-wardens/agents actively patrolling areas & out in the pools (but not getting in the way too much)
-hunting done at 1pm
-someone in your party has 2+ years waterfowling experience
-spots for field hunting in layouts


Sounds like you want a private club :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:


got to have pits at your own place - makes breakfast cooking, beer drinking, bull-shii**ing, and overall conditions so much better!

:hammer: :beer: :hammer: :thumbsup:
User avatar
SMcGarrity
hunter
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:33 pm
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Public Area

Postby talltimber » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:21 pm

i_willie12 wrote:1 way in 1 way out, 1 boat ramp no roads all through out the area, actually have to work and not just park on side of road and walk 100 yards and toss out decoys, all open hunt, close at 1:00 PM


I like the way you think.
User avatar
talltimber
hunter
 
Posts: 1780
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am
Location: SEMO

Re: Public Area

Postby Cliner » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:07 pm

SMcGarrity wrote:
Cliner wrote:
SMcGarrity wrote:come on guys, give the beginners a break. they get such a bad rap on this site, we all had to start somewhere. i don't like hunting next to yahoos either, but it comes with the territory on public areas. and not all beginners hunt like a**holes. my 2 cents:

-i like a good mix of quick draw and poor man
-i like easy access to the pools & i think the easier the better
-shells, two boxes - no more. but who would want to police that crap?
-better, more detailed maps of the area
-rice! if the soil conditions are good for it
-would love some flooded timber stands
-no fixed blinds except for handicap areas
-better hunting/food plots in harder to reach locations on each pool
-wardens/agents actively patrolling areas & out in the pools (but not getting in the way too much)
-hunting done at 1pm
-someone in your party has 2+ years waterfowling experience
-spots for field hunting in layouts


Sounds like you want a private club :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:


got to have pits at your own place - makes breakfast cooking, beer drinking, bull-shii**ing, and overall conditions so much better!

:hammer: :beer: :hammer: :thumbsup:


Touche :beer:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 970
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: Public Area

Postby swampchicken » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:43 pm

Walk in access only no boats allowed, only one parking access for entire area, 15 shell limit, quickdraw access only no poor line if you dont show that spot doesn't get hunted, and stop hunting at 1pm and have to be off area by 2pm no later.
swampchicken
hunter
 
Posts: 413
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:38 am
Location: central mo


Return to Missouri Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests