Smithville Lake

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

Smithville Lake

Postby ItFliesItDies05 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:08 pm

Its probly far fetched but has anyone been too smithville lake in the past couple years cause i have a question on the blind situation there i would like to know if its the same as it used to be. if u have please let me know it would be greatly appreciated !!
Good Luck This Season !!! :thumbsup:
ItFliesItDies05
hunter

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:30 pm

Far as I know there still is a drawing for blind permits, you can erect tempory blinds in any huntable are or go with a boat / blind combo.

Boat is the way to go, bring lots of decoys Goose too if you have them. you can have some really good hunts there and other days you'll know why It's called sh*tville lake. (Just like most other places) the most consistant action seems to come from the north part of the lake and as a whole it is slow to freeze compared to the shallow marshes
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby ItFliesItDies05 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:59 pm

:toofunny: Sh*tville Lake. I like that one. Yeah we headed up there today and checked out the blind situation in each pool. Found a small pool thts only huntin 3 blinds. On the very very south side not even a mile off of 92 Hwy. We checked out the pool and wasnt lookin to good. Like u said im thinkin the best bet will be the North Side!! :getdown: get excited opening day is on the horizon !!
ItFliesItDies05
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:23 am

Sh*tville Lake! Nice, so should I go ahead and place crappy waterfowl hunting on the list along with crappy fishing, overcrowded, and water thats probably darker and more of a biological hazard than the missouri river? But it must be good since the Corp. makes you pay to use it!! But I still love it since its the only decent sized lake within 20mins from me!
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

sh*tville lake

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:42 am

I should just let this topic die a slow and painfull death but I just can't. here are some other terms and pharses that came from hunting there for about 10 years starting 2 years before the lake was open.

muckle- mud sticks to your boots sh*tville muckle you sink into at least knee deep more likely crotch deep. I left a pair of waders in that stuff once.

water-turkey aka commorant

breathin room - those rare days when you have at least 100 yards between partys

claim jumpers- mobile hunters (usely boat) who insist on setting up right next to you and ruining your hunt. also a term used for people that try to steal your blind for the day.

JohnnyLaw self explanatory

semi-permanet blind any tempory duck blind that remains standing for more than 1 weekend.

"rained like a cow pissin on a flat rock last night" from them boys from Kearny

Kc you are right about the lake we are lucky to have it so close to us and just like every other place I have ever hunted it is great when there are birds and it stinks when there arn't. I have not hunted there in many years, but from talking to people that do it doesn't sound like it changed much. do you ever go to the ca's thats where all the birds are
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:15 pm

:toofunny: you guys are complaining about the conditions on smithville....... try lake compost or to everyone else lake contrary.. 3 ft water 4 ft mud..... duck hunting has been good in the past years if you haVE a perm blind...... right now there are 5 of us on the lake. i wont eat anything that lives in the lake only eat what i taake from the top.

lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:55 am

I got a b,ind on the far nroth side of the lake..Now I have been driving around on the souther side...Seen tons of Green Heads and Woodies but nothing else really...On tht nothern side of the lake its full of Corn FIelds and Weat Fields thts been cut.....Ur best bet is hunting really right there next to the Waterfowl Sanctuerary on the eastern side...Flyby shooting but seen tons of geese and ducks there.
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:13 pm

:thumbsup: been sing lots of divers here, teal up the wazoo. seen a lot of gads nd pins already feww mallards here,,, hopefuly after they get moved around opening day,,,,,, did any one have kids out this weekend

lee

duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:35 pm

My dads taking me tommorro I think...Im going ot the north part
Booney3721
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:10 pm

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: good for you hope you have a good day and an excellent season.......... shoot a bunch and most of all HAVE A GOOD TIME WITH YOUR DAD,,,,,,i did when my kids were younger.

lee

duckhunter052002
hunter

Smithville lake

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:39 am

for the record I'm not complaining about the lake, just having a little fun remembering and making lite of some of the good times from my younger years. I cut my duck hunting teeth there, with my father, and my friends.

I think it is great to have the recrecational activities that I enjoy (hunting, boating, & fishing so close to home.

and with me it's not all about killing ducks or cathing fish it's enjoying the experance and making the memories. I'll sit through 100 empty skies mornings for just one of those days
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:46 am

Any news form the lake this morning for duck hunting..Not going till this afternoon
Booney3721
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:09 am

I HEARD SOME SHOOTING ON THE LAKE THIS AM ABOUT 9AM.... HAVENT SEEN ANYONE YET., GOOD LUCK THIS AFTERNOON

LEE

IDENIFY BEFORE YOU SHOOT :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby MoHunter » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:46 pm

You boys ever tried any of the smaller CA lakes around here? I'm kind of new to the area. All my sweet spots are several hours away.
"Here's the deal...I'm the best there is." -Ricky Bobby
MoHunter
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:27 am

most of the guys that have been hunting the small lakes have had good success due to the pressure on the bigger ones,

lee

duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby H20fwlkillr » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:53 am

MoHunter wrote:You boys ever tried any of the smaller CA lakes around here? I'm kind of new to the area. All my sweet spots are several hours away.

Try James A Reed, Settles Ford, Amarugia Highlands, Hazel Hill Lake, Haysler A Pogue, or Urich CA. Some of these CA's have special rules, so check the MDC website. I especially like Pogue and Urich if I am going to hunt public land. Pogue is a group of strip pits outside Clinton and has little to no pressure. Urich CA sits right on the Grand River near a couple of Duck Clubs. Alot of ducks get pushed back onto the river.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:05 am

went out this am and did some scouting......we have a nice bunch of canvas backs here already,,,,, along with ringnecks,bluebills, shovelers , pins,gads and mallards,,,,,,,,,,, seems this cold weather moved alot of good birds in the aera.this is waht we have setting on lake contrary this am,

lee

duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:23 pm

K I hunted about 300 yards away from the mccollech hunting blind..Um saw about 50 simi ducks time triples on geese..Got duck fever and hotat some tht was 35 yards away :'( but anyway going this afternoon to some pvt land...and weve got TONS OF TEAL IN FORM WUT I HEARD THIS MORNING
Booney3721
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:13 pm

have fun waffel even if you dont get any its the hunt and the friendship of other hunters that make it worth while.

lee

duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting