NEMO lease

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

NEMO lease

Postby BPSgrizzly » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Everybodys looking for semo leases but does anybody know of something from STL on up, been looking around and am having trouble finding much any info is appreciated
BPSgrizzly
hunter

Re: NEMO lease

Postby BPSgrizzly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Seriously no info or ideas? Come on guys
BPSgrizzly
hunter

Postby DroppnDrakes » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:01 pm

Waterfowl leases are tough to find. That's why no one gets responses to their threads
DroppnDrakes
hunter

Postby BPSgrizzly » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Yes i know that was just hoping for a little info before I start driving this weekend, I'm looking for something in between Stl and Hannibal or maybe a little more north. Im taking off saturday to knock on doors.
BPSgrizzly
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:29 pm

So whats the plan there.... :huh: Start knocking on peoples doors asking if they or any of their friends have a duck lease open...

Around here strange people knocking on your door normally get told to move along quickly! I have heard of people putting up flyers and ad's at local gas stations and what not saying they are looking for a lease contact us etc... But not going door to door just knocking on doors!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby DroppnDrakes » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:36 pm

I would go to general stores etc and ask Round idk bout door to door for duck hunting unless you have a couple landowners where u want to hunt
DroppnDrakes
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:52 pm

There's an ad on Craigslist for St Louis. Just search for duck leases. Don't remember for certain but I think the name was gateway outfitters? They have an ad for guided hunts but I also saw an ad with same phone number for lease too.
MODAKR
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Why not just look into Mark Twain, Shanks, BK Leach and mississippi river. Same area, good hunting, always a plan to hunt.
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:37 pm

I hunt around mark twain on public ground and killem! Just gotta walk, hike, boat, and walk some m,ore. but there are ducks all over the that area
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby BPSgrizzly » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:29 am

I am just sick of dealing with public land I dont intend to go door to door but just looking around seeing if i cant find anything im just shocked at the amount in semo and not much up north
BPSgrizzly
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:44 am

BPSgrizzly wrote: im just shocked at the amount in semo and not much up north

Thats because most of SEMO is flood plain and flat as pancake and up north isnt!!! Most flood plain up north is in bottoms and that drains off pretty fast
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:22 pm

i spent hours last year looking online for leases in basically the same area... i never found much and what i did find was not worth the money in my opinion. Hunting Lease Network has some dryland for lease right now. I know exactly the spot cause i've spent hours on google earth and county assessor GIS maps to check stuff out. and this same spot leased last year and now its up again which in my mind probably means its not worth the $3k they want for a dry field. It does border BK Leach, however; so you'd certainly see ducks. it would probably be good for spring snows but i think mediocre for ducks unless they start field feeding early and not spending all their time in WRP.

the one i mentioned earlier that is on craigslist says its close to clarence cannon so that is probably a good spot too, if you want to spend $3500 each year for it.

and there is another one on craigslist in Marion county... only $16,000 for that one!!!

having grown up in north dakota, its been a shocking wake-up call to learn over the past 4 years how difficult it is to find a place to hunt here and the kind of money people pay for it. i've made the decision that if i am going to spend that kind of money for a place to hunt, i want to own something at the end of my hunting days... and something i can pass onto my son.

just my humble opinion
MODAKR
hunter

Postby BPSgrizzly » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:01 am

MODAKR I completely agree my buddy has a place up north by mark twain and just kills them but hes pretty private and doesnt let many people come with. But yes im only 24 recent college graduate still looking for work so as much as I look at places to buy i cant afford i just figured maybe trying to lease would work for a year or two. there is two spots up that way that use to be duck clubs and still have pumps and everything for sale that i have dreamt about taking out a small business loan and starting a club but like i said its just a dream. Guess ill be sticking to the duck parks and couple secret spots i know
BPSgrizzly
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:57 pm

Good Luck!! I have private property in nemo, I have slowly been losing places to leases. Even small farm ponds my dad hunted in the 70s we are now losing due to people offering farmers money. It suck!! I still have great areas, but its alot of work. I wont say im against leasing ground, because the time I start paying to hunt is fast approaching! But the public ground is out there, I love fitness and working out, so in the fall, I slap on my running shoes and do my exercise scouting areas miles off the roads. Its work, but Im killing 2 birds here lol. Not many guys are willing to work for it, they all want the walk in drive to crap. If you are in the area I could show you some starting points. pm me. I dont mind sharing a little bit of what this area has to offer.
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby MODAKR » Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:04 pm

BPSgrizz- I do think that getting a lease has some short term advantages even though I said earlier that leasing is not something i'm interested in doing. By leasing, you could evaluate many things for a fraction of the up-front cost it takes to purchase property and not be locked into something you'd possibly regret later. If you can get a lease near an area where you'd eventually like to purchase property, you can learn a lot more about the area, like how good/bad of a spot it may really be (even though every year is different), you'd likely get to know other property owners in the area, evaluate the true cost of having your own duck farm (how much you are really able to use it, upkeep, all sorts of misc. expenses). Gaining the experience of having your 'own' spot for a couple or few seasons would be worth the lease fees, in my opinion.

I've hunted BK Leach many times over the past 3 years and often run into other guys at gas station/cafe and have chit-chatted with them a bit. Those may be good places to try and connect with folks that may know about leases. its a long-shot though. I think its really hard to find a lease between STL and Hannibal; seems like most are word of mouth and apparently i've never talked to the right people! I've pretty much written off looking in that area. the places i've seen for sale are so ridiculously expensive; many are 5-10k per acre. But, you never know, if you keep at it long enough you may get lucky and find a hidden bargain.

Good Luck!
MODAKR
hunter

Postby Cut-Off Lake Duck Hunter » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:12 pm

I have just installed a new custom-built Bradley Blind on my duck hunting land at the edge of Cut-Off Lake in Chariton County, Missouri between Brunswick & Dalton, Missouri. It is super easy to get to and is on water. This area is well-known for ducks & geese. The blind seats four (4) with padded bench seats, storage areas, ladder down into it, gun holders and a dog box. Very accessible. I own 46 total acres and would not allow any other waterfowl hunters on the land. I would lease the blind for 4 to include the entire Missouri duck & goose season for Chariton county for $ 3,000.00. Serious inquiries only.
Cut-Off Lake Duck Hunter
Newb

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting