different ways to hunt stl

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

different ways to hunt stl

Postby foggyhunt » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:53 pm

Fall greetings men, I needed to ask another question about the ways you guys duck hunt within 1 hr of Stl. I'm finally getting a bit closer and plan to move to stl in March.

Back home in Calif. I've been duckhunting private clubs all my life and the hunting is easy. Here in AK I have a 16' flatbottom and would like to know if I should bring it? Of course I realize when you have a boat your opened up to more opportunities to fish or hunt but if I sold it while here in AK, it would help me financially in my move and most likely a way to pay my rent when I arrive before I find a job. Are there private clubs and what's the going price if one wanted to rent a blind for the season as I'm not successful enough to buy in.

Are you guys able to hunt 7 days a week in public refuges? I will be gathering info through Nov. But will be without a computer Dec & jan when I get back home to hunt for 2 months. Guys who hunt out of a boat do they kill more ducks than those on foot? I'm not one that will be able to walk 1 mile packing 50 lbs of stuff in my decoy bag. Those days are over.
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:05 am

Private clubs can run from $1500 a blind to $6000+ a man. Public areas are open 7 days, some require morning drawings. The boat would be nice because every 2 years there's an opportunity to draw for a river blind.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:08 am

As for the clubs, there is no way you will be able to get into one this season. The best time to start looking is right after duck season. Prices vary anywhere from $1,000 to $80,000/year.

For public access, I would hang on to your boat if you already have it. The Alton Pool and Winfield Pool can be good and they are close to StL, both of these you would need a boat for.

As for refuge areas, you can hunt most of them 7 days a week. The only one I know is closed during the week is Marais Temps Clair. For B.K. Leach you don't need a boat at all. Shanks: it is nice to have a boat, but still not neccesary for all there spots.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby foggyhunt » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:00 pm

I've been forgetting that duckhunters in MO can travel pretty much in any direction out of the state for great duck hunting. Sure is a good time to be in Stl now. would love to be in busch stadium tonight, and having a few beers at the cardinal restaurants & bars. Plus you guys have dove hunting and it's somethink I miss back in Calif. duck hunting in AK has been terrrible where I'm at. birds never have showed and not even any swans on skilak lake when i was over there the other day.
"Blend in or go hungry"

"who needs a reason it's duck season"
foggyhunt
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting