Doves

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Re: Doves

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:43 pm

swampchicken wrote:
CUT'EM ALL JACK wrote:I knew someone would try to make a statement like that, that's why I was prepared :thumbsup: . my county conservation officer (Billy Barton over iron county Missouri) is a good friend of mine, and also an avid outdoorsman. he personally told me that with dove, it is completely legal to manipulate a crop field however you please, as long as you aren't dumping seed right on the ground, you can mow, cut, chop, etc. as long as you aren't dumping or spreading seed or bait out, its legal. there is no law stating I cant mow down a crop field, then proceed to hunt dove over it. Billy has been a part of this milo field since day 1. yes dove are a migratory bird, but they are not controlled federally like waterfowl, that's why you don't have to buy a federal "dove stamp" to hunt dove. he did say that it is illegal to manipulate a crop for waterfowl however because of federal law dictating it. dove are regulated more so by state law.

Trust me on this one offenders are procecuted by a federal procecuter. :shades: They are a federal bird because they migrate. You cannot top sow winter wheat in august for a dove field it is not normal farming practice for that time of year. just to let you guys know. Good luck to all and a mowed milo field should provide many good shoots. Just mow new chunks out of it every week to give them new food.

This is exactly right. you CANNOT SEW SEED FOR ATTRACTING DOVE! (other than the normal practice of planting wheat in a normal agricultural manner, kind of a grey area to me) But, you can legally manipulate sunflower, milo, millet, etc. in any manner you want for DOVE ONLY. as long as its on the same ground it was grown on, as in right there, you cant harvest then spread it out over an open field. and yes dove are a federal bird, but this particular situation of manipulating a field is regulated by our Missouri state laws, as well as federal.
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:45 pm

happy and safe hunting to all and good luck! whack em n stack em guys!
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm in SC so I know nothing of MO. Regs. But this is Federal! For some reason you are allowed to manipulate crops for Doves,but you can't for waterfowl. I mean like bush hog to scatter seed to attract doves. You can for doves you can't for waterfowl. SC has a pamphlet explaining what you can and can't do. I imagine Mo. does to. If you top sow anything now you will have to wait till it germinates or the birds eat it all before you hunt or you're baiting. [PDF]Dove Hunting and Baiting Definitions from Title 50, Code of Federal ...www.fws.gov/le/pdf/dove-hunting-and-baiting.pdf‎Cached
Last edited by Red Huck on Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Huck
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:19 pm

yes, that is what I am saying :huh:
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby missouriducks » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:12 pm

So you are brush hogging a field of milo only to hunt dove? I asked my local agent if we could hunt waterfowl on a cornfield were going to mow cause it got torched in the drought last year and his reply was no for the season. Just seems like a waste unless you only hunt dove? Mayb are conservation agent buddies need to get together and share there sides of the law possibly.
missouriducks
hunter

Postby swampcrawler » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:22 am

Anyone out there in cyberspace going to tell me where all the doves are?How about where to sit,which way they enter the field with any wind direction,Also where to sit that will cut the most people off,thus pissing off the most people especially those with kids that are just starting to hunt.Stop them before it's to late ,too many people hunting doves just like ducks.Also give name of landowners that will give you permission but only after you promise to take his 300lb daughter out on a date opening day night.That way i can tell both his daughter and him what i really think .So what if you lose a hunting spot i don't care it's your spot.Please only serious info .please don't pm me post them out in the open no one will try and slip into our(yours)hunting spot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
swampcrawler
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:44 am

35''03'29.03'N 82'04'40.14"w good luck the powerline was so heavy with doves an pigeons I don't know how it held them up.Oh! Watch out for Mr. Green Jeans,The farmer dumping something in that area.
Red Huck
hunter

Postby satguy1963 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:19 am

Mowing down a milo field is NOT considered a normal farming practice That would be considered as baiting and I personally would consider it unethical. Milo is not usually ready to harvest until later in the fall. I have not been by any fields lately but I would think the heads were still green this time of year. :no:
satguy1963
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:37 pm

An agent explained to me the easiest way to figure out if it is baiting or not is this- If it is grown in the field you can mow it, bush hog it, disc it, pretty much what ever you want and it is NOT baiting. Bait is brought to the field and put out. This applies to doves, not waterfowl.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby missouriducks » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:50 am

870shooter wrote:An agent explained to me the easiest way to figure out if it is baiting or not is this- If it is grown in the field you can mow it, bush hog it, disc it, pretty much what ever you want and it is NOT baiting. Bait is brought to the field and put out. This applies to doves, not waterfowl.

I was told otherwise but if you had a agent tell you that I would record him saying it and mow some strips in a cornfield and you should be in the money.
missouriducks
hunter

Postby Red Huck » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:18 pm

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/pubs/AttractingDovesLegally.pdf‎ I know this is SC. Published the federal didn't seem to help. Having trouble getting the links to work for some reason. www.fws.gov/le/pdf/dove-hunting-and-baiting.pdf
Red Huck
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:13 am

870shooter wrote:An agent explained to me the easiest way to figure out if it is baiting or not is this- If it is grown in the field you can mow it, bush hog it, disc it, pretty much what ever you want and it is NOT baiting. Bait is brought to the field and put out. This applies to doves, not waterfowl.

100% correct. You can mow, disc, etc planted fields for doves, not for waterfowl. However if you do a moist soil draw down for waterfowl, and did not plant anything, you can mow and disc as well. :thumbsup:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby greenheadsmoker » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:19 pm

Grow and mow not throw and go.
greenheadsmoker
hunter

Postby kdog » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:47 pm

satguy1963 wrote:Mowing down a milo field is NOT considered a normal farming practice That would be considered as baiting and I personally would consider it unethical. Milo is not usually ready to harvest until later in the fall. I have not been by any fields lately but I would think the heads were still green this time of year. :no:

You may hunt doves over manipulated grain crops, such as corn, wheat, milo, sorghum, millet,
sunflower, and buckwheat.

Better not hunt any mdc ground or you are in trouble then....
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby talltimber » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:47 am

greenheadsmoker wrote:Grow and mow not throw and go.

Haha. Good to remember.

Used to know a farmer that would sow his wheat early. Mid to late August. Buggy full to about 40 ac. I think it would have made a fine crop if the doves hadn't ate it all!
talltimber
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:20 am

satguy1963 wrote:Mowing down a milo field is NOT considered a normal farming practice That would be considered as baiting and I personally would consider it unethical. Milo is not usually ready to harvest until later in the fall. I have not been by any fields lately but I would think the heads were still green this time of year. :no:

INCORRECT! :fingerpt: You can manipulate a crop however you want for dove and it is not baiting, even says so in the migratory bird pamphlet that I quoted earlier. YOU CANNOT HOWEVER DO THIS FOR waterfowl! DOVE ONLY!
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:50 am

CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:05 pm

WHY...ARE...YOU...SCREAMING...AT...US??????
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:50 pm

i have a ld, lost myoice, so technically I am speaking ina NORMAL TONE!!!!!! lol! :yes:
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:42 pm

lol all good, just had to check :beer:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Previous

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting