Who has ducks???

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Who has ducks???

Postby scarecrow » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:03 am

I've heard there are lots of birds in some parts, few in others. How about a report?

I haven't seen any real numbers in or around Cole county but we don't have any features to attact them. I have but heard reports of birds in Columbia area and I've heard that they're stacked up in NW part of the state.

Any others?

LET IT RAIN!!!!
scarecrow
hunter

Scouting trip

Postby mlangenh » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:16 am

I took a look at a couple ponds that our group normally hunts in the Columbia area and there are a few birds here already. In one spot there were quite a few woodies, just a small pond, I don't think I've ever seen big ducks there, but its a nice place if you need to more to fill a limit. On the big lake we saw lots of different large groups of mallards. There are also just a few scattered teal, and one smaller group of divers (either scoup or ringnecks). Also the resident geese still patrol the area (even though I can't shoot 'em yet) so I'm looking forward to a good start to the season. :yes: :thumbsup:
- There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

-The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck.
mlangenh
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:55 am

From St. Charles north there are good numbers of ducks. similar to that great season 3 years ago. The ducks in my area are holding in Batchtown Illinois, and fly over to feed in the morning. Not much evening activity yet.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby H20fwlkillr » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:11 am

Seeing woodies,teal,gadwalls and coots here in west central mo.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:09 pm

Goosetalk, when's the last time you were out there in the evening? I drove by Bucsh's place last night around 5p.m. and they were coming in THICK! I pulled off the side of Highway C and watched for 10 minutes as ducks circled and poured into the corn.

My club is holding some woodies and teal right now. Not too much big duck action yet.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:44 pm

Well, I haven't been to the club since Sun., but my dad was down Monday and didn't see much in the evening. I found that hard to believe since I jumped a lot of ducks goin in Sun. morning. A lot of the ducks up here hold in Batchtown, then fly across the river to feed. My dad doesn't have the best vision either so that was probably a factor. I know there are a lot of ducks, there is no doubt about that. 2 1/2 days , oh I just can't wait.

By the way, which club do you hunt at. I know of Dardene, know people in Westhoff Farms, and dove hunted at Dillards this year.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby pappy » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:21 pm

i got ducks..... six in the freezer. hehehe.... big fat kansas mallards. gonna make a gumbo at the church friday night.

good huntin :thumbsup:

pap
pappy
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:21 pm

Well with the weather droping down to the low 30s high 20s saterday Duck Hunting will be good..Hopefully these lakes up north will be freezing up soon like in IOWA and MICHAGAN and MINNASOTA...But Ive been keeping my eye out on smithville lake..Theres still a good number o Teal,Mergansers,Mallaerd,Pintails, and Redheads there...Geese however r still eating out of green pastures so u wont see them until late afternoon.....
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby scarecrow » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:01 am

Went down to Eagle Bluffs for an hour this morning to check it out. Fair number of ducks flying. The only ones I could identify were feeding and by far the most were mallards and coots. I probably saw 500-1000 greenheads.

My buddy has spotted good numbers(sometimes 50-100 at a time) of woodies south of Jeff City on some small isolated lakes.
scarecrow
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:27 am

Goosetalk, I hunt Fitzgerald's place which is closer to Alton. Unfortunately my blood aint rich enough to get into the places you mentioned.

I sat in a pit last night and watched tons of high flying ducks. Had a bunch of woodies and teal working the area, but the big ducks were flying high.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:33 am

WE HAVE HAD MALLARDS AND LOTS OF GADS AND PINS IN THE AERA SEEN A GOOD BUNCH OF DIVERS TOO THIS MORNING WE HAD A SMALL BUNCH OF SNOWS IN THE AERA.

LEE

IDENIFY BEFORE YOU SHOOT :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting