grand pass this weekend

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

grand pass this weekend

Postby rock8888 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:51 am

Been thinking of heading to Grand Pass on Sunday to hunt. ONly problems are:

1. as of now it is just me and my odds of getting in are poor

2. I don't have a portable blind or a boat...is this necessary? I have heard that you need them. Will I be wasting my time if I just wade out there with decoys and a chair?
rock8888
hunter

Postby Cut'm » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:54 am

Sucks trying to draw regardless of how many folks your with. Sometimes hunting by yourself is great. I've killed many a duck at GP with nothing but a bag of decoys. Heck, I don't even bring a chair. There are a few places you can't get to because you have to get across a deep ditch but, draw #1 and you go wherever you want. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Cut'm
hunter

Postby rock8888 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:12 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. I hear there are some pools that you can't get into without a boat...is that true? I hate going to a place I have not scouted and this will be 100% blind for me.

I know that I can get in by myself, but with the new drawing procedures, each member gets a pill, which lessens my odds as a single. I might give it a shot just to see. But I will hate driving 2 hours just to not hunt.

Oh, well. Might have to just suck it up and give it a shot. Would like to take my dog, but she is just not polished enough yet. Only 7 months, very obedient, but never hunted before.
rock8888
hunter

Postby Cut'm » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:57 pm

Yes, there are a few areas you can't get to without a boat, but, tell the folks at the desk you don't have a boat and they can lead you away from those spots. I'd keep the puppy at home.

I didn't know GP was doing the new drawing technique. I like it.
Cut'm
hunter

Postby rock8888 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:03 pm

yeah, the dog is staying. I think I am going to do some scouting on opening day at some locations south of here where only the youth hunt is going on, and then maybe try to hunt on sunday morning when there will be less hunters in the line. I will hate having to drive 4 hours for no hunting if I get skipped, but thems the breaks I guess.

I am thinking about going somewhere in KS as well, but with low water and opening weekend, it could be outrageously packed.
rock8888
hunter

Postby duckhuntinsailor » Sat Oct 28, 2006 1:26 pm

I tried hunting GP this morning, what a cluster. Me and 3 buddies. We didn't draw in, but only missed it by a few. The draw took so long that I would bet some folks were barely out of the office by shooting time. Even still I was thinking about trying again tomorrow, but will proably be one friend shy of having a party of 4. I have a fairly good dog, but no boat. From the speach this morning seems like there are only a few deep spots we'ld need to worry about, and we can proably avoid them. If you want give me a call this evening, my name's Jeremy, by then the friends should have woke up from their naps and I'll know if we're gonna be short. My number is 573-424-8007.

We did manage to find a little hole of water close to GP and killed 3 teal and a woody so at least it wasn't a waisted 1 1/2 hr drive. Actually it was a pretty good opening day for just hunting over a mud hole, we should've proably killed a few more but couldn't shoot straight.
If you can hit em, Karmin can get em. Once there down, just say back and watch her go!
duckhuntinsailor
hunter

Postby rock8888 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:23 am

I figured that was the case. I decided to spend this weekend scouting and not standing in line. Hopefully it pays off next weekend.
rock8888
hunter

Postby duckhuntinsailor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:36 am

Ya missed out. We drew pill 7, hunted pool 6, and killed 4 limits. We got our last two birds at 12:58. We could've been done earlier, but we decided to not shoot all teal. We waited on the bigger ducks and ended up with 12 Mallards, 1 pintail, 2 Shovlers, 2 gadwall, 7 teal. The hunt definately makes it into my top 5.
If you can hit em, Karmin can get em. Once there down, just say back and watch her go!
duckhuntinsailor
hunter

Postby rock8888 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:38 am

wow, I did miss out. I should have gone. Thinking of going there this weekend since opening at four rivers should be crazier than trying to get in at grand pass on weekend #2.
rock8888
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting