Needing Help

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Needing Help

Postby Booney3721 » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:29 pm

Ok really the only people who have labrador puppies for sale r form all across the untited states...Im in a bad money situation but i need a puppy bad.....Ive got a good house thts fenced in and i take relaly good care of my dog...Mixed lab right now and is three years old..But i need a good lil puppy tht I can train.....Do ya know where...and ive done check North Kansas CIty Star...and this one guy said anything under 500 dollers is junk.
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby duckhuntinsailor » Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:14 pm

I have a friend who's buying a puppy from these folks. http://lucky7labs.bravehost.com/
$500/pup, but seems like a heck of a deal, they come from great looking bloodlines, they have shots, dew claws removed, microchip, and if you pick a name by 5 wks they gaurantee it will sit, come when called by name, be house trained, and will fetch toys. Can't beat that. Last I heard they have one female left in their current litter which is a couple weeks old.

As for cheap dogs being crap. Well for the most part I would agree with your friend. However, I got my dog for free, from a neighbors in-laws. She is full blooded, mom and pops had papers, but the litter was sort of an accident and they weren't breeders and didn't feel like messing with selling them so they were giving them away. I told him I wanted one and he brought me her. Call it luck or whatever you want, but she is one good (FREE) dog. However, she had some good bloodlines.
If you can hit em, Karmin can get em. Once there down, just say back and watch her go!
duckhuntinsailor
hunter

Postby H20fwlkillr » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:43 pm

A friend of mine bought his lab from a guy right there in Smithville. The raises a couple litters a year. He used to raise and train Labs for a living, but is retired now and does it for fun. His dogs are a golden blond and AKC/UKC registered.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby Booney3721 » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:04 pm

but for how much...and i had this guy the other day siad tht anydog u buy under 700 dollers in a dumb dog..there not good...I said whatever the best hunting dog i eve had was for free and she was killed last year form a car accident
"mmm nothing beat's a glass of hot Dickens Cider"
Booney3721
hunter

Postby H20fwlkillr » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:51 pm

I believe it was $200. She is great dog.

Don't get sucked into believing price decides how good a dog is. And a great pedigree doesn't mean a dog will be good or even mediocre. Talk to an honest breeder and they will tell you the greatest bloodlines still produce duds. Good bloodlines just increase your odds of getting a trainable dog with hunting drive/skills and reduced chances of genetic defects. In the end, proper training and care is the determining factor on how the dog will turn out.
I'll start treating my wife as good as my dog when she starts fetching ducks.
H20fwlkillr
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:34 pm

:salude: i picked up a chessy from the rescue league he is 7 yrs old, didnt cost me adime and he works real well . i agree its care and trainig.

lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:58 am

I've seen a lot more good dogs come from good pedigrees than from rescues or backyard breeders. I'm not saying that good dogs can't come from these backgrounds, but good genetics make for good puppies more times than not.

If you really want a hunting dog, the best thing to do is get a dog from hunting lines. Save for a while and do some research. Also, there are tons of good lab kennels in Missouri, but you won't find them in the newspaper.

You don't want a puppy right now anyway. Season is starting, so your free time is most likely going to be spent hunting. I think the best time for a pup is right around February.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby duckhunter052002 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:04 pm

i have hunted chessys ever since i started... labs are good dogs... i have trained both but for me i prefer the chessy...... my original dog i bought down here with me came from a breeder in colorado.he lived 14 yrs.
find a good breeder..check out his parents tree......but bad dogs can also come from excellent breeders,,,

lee

idenify before you shoot :thumbsup:
duckhunter052002
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting