Ted Shanks

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Ted Shanks

Postby reddog1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:06 pm

I've been duck hunting now for about five years mostly in SE MO. This year I drew a reservation at Ted Shanks on the fourteenth of Nov. and have never hunted there before. I was wondering if I could get a little help as to what to expect there in the way of draws for blinds. Is there walk in or do I need a boat? I'll probably drive up this weekend to see what I can but thought this would be a good place to start. Thanks.
reddog1
hunter

Ted Shanks

Postby mlangenh » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:52 pm

Ted Shanks isn't bad all that bad of a place. They are pretty good about getting you a place to wade in if you don't have a boat. And they used to have boats at the different blinds where they were needed. The actual wade and shoot places normally go first in the draw because they tend to draw in more ducks. Nose slough is also a good place to hunt. It is an open area where 4 parties can hunt, just try to talk to the other parties so as not to set up too close to one another. The guys their are normally pretty nice, go up and scout or just give 'em a call. Good luck on your hunt. :thumbsup:
- There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

-The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck.
mlangenh
hunter

Postby reddog1 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I hate to show up some place with just dumb luck but sometimes that's all I've got. Thanks again!
reddog1
hunter

yeah

Postby mlangenh » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:01 am

I know what you mean. The first time to a new hunting place is usually just an expieriment. Let me know how your scouting goes, and your hunt. My dad just hunted there ... he said they are holding a ton of coots. He also said he heard Nose Slough do a lot of shooting. Take it for what its worth. And once again good luck. :salude:
- There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

-The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck.
mlangenh
hunter

Postby reddog1 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:00 pm

Thanks, I'll definitely let you know how it goes. Is Nose Slough a part of Shanks? I didn't see it labeled on their terrain map.
reddog1
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:14 pm

Wade and Shoots------D1,D2,D3,C1, Nose Slough( very large area, has some crop and some marsh, fairly deep channels run through, but not too deep to wade.

Eastern Blind Unit-----option of wading, but very deep channels, however there are many shallow parts between, even some crop.

Western Blind Unit---- All blind hunting, can be very good, but has dropped off the past few years.

I might be poor boying it this weekend so if I get in, or there's anything new, I let you know.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby reddog1 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:42 pm

Great info. Thanks for the help.
reddog1
hunter

Postby Cut'm » Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:45 am

GT has got it right. The wade and shoots have been the hot spots. I'd suggest taking a drive in the daylight to see how things are laid out. It's awful dark at 0430. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Good luck drawing a low pill...I was there yesterday and drew 38 out of 41. :toofunny: :toofunny: Still did o.k. considering we took the leftovers. :mrgreen:
Cut'm
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:47 pm

I was there yesterday and killed 3 limits out of 1D in a boat blind. If you have a boat, I would bring it. I'm not a big fan of carrying decoy bags on my back for a long hike down levies. I'd just assume load a boat up and drive. Also, if you don't draw a low number, chances are you'll be hunting the blinds, which are not accesible w/out a boat. It would suck to drive all the way from SE Mo and not be able to hunt on a reservation just because you can't get to a spot.

Good luck, they are killing the crap out of ducks up there right now.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby reddog1 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:43 pm

Again great info. Thanks. I agree it's a long way to go and not be prepared. Are the boats they have there worth considering and are there engine size restrictions ? I thought I remembered seeing something about no gas powered engines on any lake under 70 acres.
reddog1
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:52 pm

No engine restrictions, just must be kept at wake speed, although people up there have different ideas of what wake speed means.
goosetalk
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting