New duck hunter to KC,mo area

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

New duck hunter to KC,mo area

Postby Davisdo2016 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:10 pm

Hello all! New member here and a potentially new duck hunter to the KC area as I will be up here for the next three years for medical school and all of my duck hunting buddies are back home in Texas/Arkansas. I just have a few questions as I have a huge desire to get into duck hunting but not sure where exactly to get started. I have the shotgun, duck call with beginner teaching cd, and decoys (bought in an estate sale) and need waders but what else to really get started? And any advice on going out the first time to public land and preventing upsetting regulars and people who know what they are doing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
Davisdo2016
Newb

Re: New duck hunter to KC,mo area

Postby swampchicken » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:39 pm

Shoot only finished ducks and know what they are before you pull the trigger.
swampchicken
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:59 am

Davisdo2016 wrote:I have a huge desire to get into duck hunting but not sure where exactly to get started.

And why exactly do you have a huge desire to get into duck hunting??? What brought on this inner feeling that "i want to duck hunt..."

:biggrin:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby Cliner » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:02 am

Sounds like you have a great start. Another "place to start" would be the river. You have the resources, now it's time to put miles on the truck and binoculars on your eyes
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby mjcraig15 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 am

You should try to find someone that has experience and is willing to take you. Best way to learn. Also, don't setup downwind of someone that is already setup. Many people are willing to join up with others at the draws on the public areas also. We have hunted many times with others by joining up at the draw. That is if you are going to a draw area. Talk to people at the boat ramps/parking lots. Lots of good pointers out there, and people are willing to share some information with you as long as you aren't asking for specific spots. Call up some of the area managers and speak to them, and they will help to point you in the right direction. http://mdc.mo.gov/hunting-trapping/bird-hunting/waterfowl-hunting MDC holds clinics sometimes also. I have never been to them, so I can't speak to the quality of the information they provide.
mjcraig15
hunter

Postby Davisdo2016 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:16 pm

And why exactly do you have a huge desire to get into duck hunting??? What brought on this inner feeling that "i want to duck hunt..."

I guess the biggest thing is this desire to try a new outdoors "sport" and just get to spend time outdoors as being a student demands me spending the majority of my time behind a desk and away from the sunlight. I really enjoy dove hunting although I know it's not nearly as intense, I enjoy deer hunting but it can be really slow and you get a chance to shoot maybe once a year, and I really love shooting my shotgun. Not to mention, it's something that I can pass on to my future kids (have my first on the way early next year). My family never had a boat growing up so my dad and I never spent time on the lake. All of our fishing was pond hopping and growing up in Texas nothing is bigger in the fall than Friday night high school football, college football, and the Cowboys on Sunday so that left little time to pick up a demanding hunting experience like duck hunting. And finally I love being around my dogs. My college roommates were big duck hunters so they helped me train my 3 yr old chocolate lab and I'm working on my 4 month old black lab now as a stress reliever from the demands of medical school.
Davisdo2016
Newb

Postby mjcraig15 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Congrats on the little one. I have two of my own. My son is 6, and I am taking him for the first time this year. Just to watch and learn.

Don't expect to be shooting all the time when duck hunting. I have spent many a days in the field not firing a shot. That is not necessarily the norm though. One thing to know is don't pick up and leave too early. We have had many hunts where we didn't fire a shot all day, and in the last hour to two of shooting time, we limited out. Be prepared to move to where the birds are working if you aren't in an area where MDC has told you where you can be. Even at the duck parks, you may need to move around in the pool, adjust your spread, walk thru the decoys to kick up the mud. Motion in the decoy is very helpful. Get a jerk cord, or kick the water. Duck hunting is a lot of trial and error until you build up the experience to read the weather and the way the ducks are working. You may slaughter them one day in a spot, and not see a single one the next. Alot of it depends on timing, the weather, and your experience with adjusting to the conditions. Scout. Scout. Scout. See how the birds are using the area, how big of groups they are sitting in. Calling less later in the season. Change the species in your decoy spread to match the species in the area if you have that luxury of having multiple species of decoys. Being in a flooded corn field vs. flooded timber on overcast vs. sunny days. etc..... The list goes on and on, and it will take years of hunting to learn. I have been hunting 20 years and still learn something new every year.

One last thing, in my experience I have had the best hunts on cold rainy nasty days. Not to say I haven't had good hunts on nice days, but the nastier, the better in my opinion.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:
mjcraig15
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Davisdo2016 wrote:Hello all! New member here and a potentially new duck hunter to the KC area as I will be up here for the next three years for medical school and all of my duck hunting buddies are back home in Texas/Arkansas. I just have a few questions as I have a huge desire to get into duck hunting but not sure where exactly to get started. I have the shotgun, duck call with beginner teaching cd, and decoys (bought in an estate sale) and need waders but what else to really get started? And any advice on going out the first time to public land and preventing upsetting regulars and people who know what they are doing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

I live in the KC area and would love to take you sometime. PM me.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting