Teal hunting in the afternoon (Question)

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Teal hunting in the afternoon (Question)

Postby matt9966 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:15 am

Hey guys, I posted last year that it was my first year teal hunting and you guys gave me some pretty good advice. I would like to thank you guys again for that. This year brings a new round of teal hunting tactic questions that I would like to pick your collective brains on . . . .

Has anyone out here had success hunting teal in the afternoon? Additionally, if you are out in the afternoon would you target the same type of areas that are selected for morning teal hunting?

Almost everything I hear or read states that the best time is early morning until 9 or so. I would imagine the hour or so before dusk would be decent but I am not sure as I've never hunted it for teal. With this front that supposed to move in late next week I am thinking I might take off work an hour early and head to the sloughs. I am just curious if this will be a productive strategy or not. I'm a firm believer in the "if your not out there you wont ever see them" school of thought - so i'll be out there. Just want to try to maximize my time hunting

Thanks
matt9966
hunter

Re: Teal hunting in the afternoon (Question)

Postby kdog » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:26 am

yes and yes
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Last 30 minutes is deadly!!
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:13 pm

The evening is an often missed time to hunt any waterfowl! I've doubled up on teal at my personal duck lake on teal in the evening and had many nights of limits of geese.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby matt9966 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks for the advice and boy were you not kidding about the evening hunt! Holy cow it was insane. Granted almost every duck coming to my call (huge fan of my Rice Lake Teal call after tonight - DJ makes great calls!) and spread were wood duck it was still insane. Got my first ever GWT. I will say this about the evening hunt, as the light dims it gets hard to tell woodies from teal. I am sure i passed up a few shots as I just was not sure about the ID.

1st day afield
1st shot
1st GWT

I hope the rest of year is like this!

Again, thanks for the tips above, many thanks
Attachments
gwt.JPG
matt9966
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:11 pm

:beer:
fowlhabit4
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting