Linn, Mo

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Linn, Mo

Postby semohunter » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:08 pm

im relatively new to this area and living in linn. i know we have some great areas up here to duck hunt within a couple of hours like grand pass and eagle bluffs. but i cant make a drive there during the week because i have school. are there any places that would be halfway decent for a morning hunt close to linn. I know you guys dont like giving out the info but it would be a great help as i dont have much time to do any scouting...a lot of the locals have said that its a waste of time to even try around here and just make the drive to columbia..would that be a true statement?
semohunter
hunter
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 am


Re: Linn, Mo

Postby sjndknichols » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:44 pm

my grandma and grandpa live down there I have always thought that i would try to hunt but never see any ducks I would say to try the gasconade river, the Missouri, Osage, or Marrion Bottoms CA
User avatar
sjndknichols
hunter
 
Posts: 119
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:08 pm

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby BigAL64 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:24 pm

No ducks in Columbia either. :no:
BigAL64
hunter
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm
Location: on the X in Missouri

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby semohunter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:25 pm

BigAL64 wrote:No ducks in Columbia either. :no:

i know theres ducks in Columbia...maybe not many right now but ive hunted grand pass and eagle bluffs lol...cant wait for opener this year ill be there opening day tryin to pull a pill lol
semohunter
hunter
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby talltimber » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:53 pm

That's not semo. What's with the name?
User avatar
talltimber
hunter
 
Posts: 1742
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am
Location: SEMO

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby semohunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:38 am

used to only hunt semo... otter slough,duck creek, and ten mile pond specifically....with a recent change in schools ive moved up to north zone. so ill be extending my season some. and hunting new territiory for the most part....but will still mainly hunt slough when season opens...theres still a week or two that i can hunt up north though
semohunter
hunter
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby TomKat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:42 am

semohunter wrote:im relatively new to this area and living in linn. i know we have some great areas up here to duck hunt within a couple of hours like grand pass and eagle bluffs. but i cant make a drive there during the week because i have school. are there any places that would be halfway decent for a morning hunt close to linn. I know you guys dont like giving out the info but it would be a great help as i dont have much time to do any scouting...a lot of the locals have said that its a waste of time to even try around here and just make the drive to columbia..would that be a true statement?


There are no ducks near Gasconade CO
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby semohunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:56 pm

TomKat wrote:
semohunter wrote:im relatively new to this area and living in linn. i know we have some great areas up here to duck hunt within a couple of hours like grand pass and eagle bluffs. but i cant make a drive there during the week because i have school. are there any places that would be halfway decent for a morning hunt close to linn. I know you guys dont like giving out the info but it would be a great help as i dont have much time to do any scouting...a lot of the locals have said that its a waste of time to even try around here and just make the drive to columbia..would that be a true statement?


There are no ducks near Gasconade CO


i have thought that for a while....but saturday i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night so im thinking we may have found a spot to kill a few here and there...just have to scout it before we decide to hunt.
semohunter
hunter
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:13 pm

semohunter wrote:i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night


Thanks for the info!!!!!!!! I'll be sure to be there opening morning trying to pound away on some ducks!!!!

Good lord man dont put crap out on the open boards like that!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: Sweat baby Jesus.. :rolleyes:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
User avatar
i_willie12
hunter
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Marshall MO

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby TomKat » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:42 pm

He's a reverse cyber scouter!!!!
Image
User avatar
TomKat
Dorothy
 
Posts: 11501
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:18 am
Location: NE Kansas

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:34 pm

I live 4 miles from eagle bluffs in Columbia.... decent hunting most of the time if you know how to hunt, and get a decent pool, however I will say Grand pass has a more regular and higher kill total than EB... along with about 10 times more ducks usually.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby Cliner » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:20 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:I live 4 miles from eagle bluffs in Columbia.... decent hunting most of the time if you know how to hunt, and get a decent pool, however I will say Grand pass has a more regular and higher kill total than EB... along with about 10 times more ducks usually.


And a 10 times longer draw, and 10 times the people, and 10 times the pressure. Grand Pass is a 3-ring circus.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby 2500hdon37s » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:17 pm

Cliner wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:I live 4 miles from eagle bluffs in Columbia.... decent hunting most of the time if you know how to hunt, and get a decent pool, however I will say Grand pass has a more regular and higher kill total than EB... along with about 10 times more ducks usually.


And a 10 times longer draw, and 10 times the people, and 10 times the pressure. Grand Pass is a 3-ring circus.

cant argue that, it is a mad house up there but IMO they have much better management of the wetlands than EB. I'm not much a fan on how a few pools are pretty much a mad dash do get to any one part of it, while EB you pick a more specific spot. Oh well, beggars cant be choosers, it costs me MUCH less to hunt EB, but I'd hunt more private given the chance.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby semohunter » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:54 pm

i_willie12 wrote:
semohunter wrote:i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night


Thanks for the info!!!!!!!! I'll be sure to be there opening morning trying to pound away on some ducks!!!!

Good lord man dont put crap out on the open boards like that!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: Sweat baby Jesus.. :rolleyes:

unlike most guys on here im not afraid to give out information about public land. people have helped me out before, theres nothing wrong with that. whats wrong with passing out info. if you want to hunt there go for it. its public land for a reason...no need to be a jerk about it. if i want to give out info ill give it out. its guys like you that arent willing to help people out that run people off. if you have something negative to say about what i post keep it to yourself i really dont care.
semohunter
hunter
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby Cliner » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:12 am

semohunter wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
semohunter wrote:i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night


Thanks for the info!!!!!!!! I'll be sure to be there opening morning trying to pound away on some ducks!!!!

Good lord man dont put crap out on the open boards like that!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: Sweat baby Jesus.. :rolleyes:

unlike most guys on here im not afraid to give out information about public land. people have helped me out before, theres nothing wrong with that. whats wrong with passing out info. if you want to hunt there go for it. its public land for a reason...no need to be a jerk about it. if i want to give out info ill give it out. its guys like you that arent willing to help people out that run people off. if you have something negative to say about what i post keep it to yourself i really dont care.


I'm not sure you understand the magnitude of posting public places. It's not that big of a deal if you tell somebody at the local diner where you saw some ducks, but when you put it on the internet, the number of people that can access that information is ten-fold. You'll learn some day. The day you go to your spot and there's 4 other groups in the same place, you'll change your attitude. I've been helped by plenty of people and don't mind helping, but people need to help themselves. I'm not sayin don't say anything, but just be cautious. You won't catch me posting about a location when I hunt a non-draw area. If you're talking about draw areas, everyone has the same access to information regarding how many ducks are there. There's no secrets in the draw areas.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:36 am

Cliner wrote:
semohunter wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
semohunter wrote:i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night


Thanks for the info!!!!!!!! I'll be sure to be there opening morning trying to pound away on some ducks!!!!

Good lord man dont put crap out on the open boards like that!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: Sweat baby Jesus.. :rolleyes:

unlike most guys on here im not afraid to give out information about public land. people have helped me out before, theres nothing wrong with that. whats wrong with passing out info. if you want to hunt there go for it. its public land for a reason...no need to be a jerk about it. if i want to give out info ill give it out. its guys like you that arent willing to help people out that run people off. if you have something negative to say about what i post keep it to yourself i really dont care.


I'm not sure you understand the magnitude of posting public places. It's not that big of a deal if you tell somebody at the local diner where you saw some ducks, but when you put it on the internet, the number of people that can access that information is ten-fold. You'll learn some day. The day you go to your spot and there's 4 other groups in the same place, you'll change your attitude.


:ditto: :ditto: Get burned a couple times and you will change your tune!!!!! Heck i dont tell ANYONE about my duck hunting spots!! Thats cost me several times over the last 10 years. Wasnt a big deal to talk openly about hunting spots before 10 years ago.... But its become cut throat since this sport has gotten popular Had people go behind my back and try to get on property ive had for years.. Seen people setup in my EXACT hole that no one had ever been in till i talked to a "friend" about the spot.. I will help people out! But helping people out isnt giving them information on where birds are or spots!! :no: :no:
I dont even post kill pictures from when we are killing them in the fields just so no one knows we are killing them in the fields at that time all pic posting happens at the end of the season..
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
User avatar
i_willie12
hunter
 
Posts: 4182
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Marshall MO

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby semohunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:00 am

Cliner wrote:
semohunter wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
semohunter wrote:i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night


Thanks for the info!!!!!!!! I'll be sure to be there opening morning trying to pound away on some ducks!!!!

Good lord man dont put crap out on the open boards like that!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: Sweat baby Jesus.. :rolleyes:

unlike most guys on here im not afraid to give out information about public land. people have helped me out before, theres nothing wrong with that. whats wrong with passing out info. if you want to hunt there go for it. its public land for a reason...no need to be a jerk about it. if i want to give out info ill give it out. its guys like you that arent willing to help people out that run people off. if you have something negative to say about what i post keep it to yourself i really dont care.


I'm not sure you understand the magnitude of posting public places. It's not that big of a deal if you tell somebody at the local diner where you saw some ducks, but when you put it on the internet, the number of people that can access that information is ten-fold. You'll learn some day. The day you go to your spot and there's 4 other groups in the same place, you'll change your attitude. I've been helped by plenty of people and don't mind helping, but people need to help themselves. I'm not sayin don't say anything, but just be cautious. You won't catch me posting about a location when I hunt a non-draw area. If you're talking about draw areas, everyone has the same access to information regarding how many ducks are there. There's no secrets in the draw areas.

the internet shows large numbers of people? i never knew that i was born yesterday...4 groups can go take my spot go for it i dont exactly care if i did i wouldnt have posted it....obviously....people moving in on one spot means you go find another. who really cares anyways this has nothing to do with my post so if it doesnt deal with my original first post then dont put it up here...
semohunter
hunter
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby Cliner » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:56 am

semohunter wrote:
Cliner wrote:
semohunter wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
semohunter wrote:i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night


Thanks for the info!!!!!!!! I'll be sure to be there opening morning trying to pound away on some ducks!!!!

Good lord man dont put crap out on the open boards like that!!!! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: Sweat baby Jesus.. :rolleyes:

unlike most guys on here im not afraid to give out information about public land. people have helped me out before, theres nothing wrong with that. whats wrong with passing out info. if you want to hunt there go for it. its public land for a reason...no need to be a jerk about it. if i want to give out info ill give it out. its guys like you that arent willing to help people out that run people off. if you have something negative to say about what i post keep it to yourself i really dont care.


I'm not sure you understand the magnitude of posting public places. It's not that big of a deal if you tell somebody at the local diner where you saw some ducks, but when you put it on the internet, the number of people that can access that information is ten-fold. You'll learn some day. The day you go to your spot and there's 4 other groups in the same place, you'll change your attitude. I've been helped by plenty of people and don't mind helping, but people need to help themselves. I'm not sayin don't say anything, but just be cautious. You won't catch me posting about a location when I hunt a non-draw area. If you're talking about draw areas, everyone has the same access to information regarding how many ducks are there. There's no secrets in the draw areas.

the internet shows large numbers of people? i never knew that i was born yesterday...4 groups can go take my spot go for it i dont exactly care if i did i wouldnt have posted it....obviously....people moving in on one spot means you go find another. who really cares anyways this has nothing to do with my post so if it doesnt deal with my original first post then dont put it up here...


First of all, this is a forum. Therefore, it is perfectly acceptable to respond to a later post encompassed in a thread. If you like looking for new spots on a daily basis because you run your mouth, so be it. I like killing unpressured ducks as long as possible. After a struggle to comprehend that abortion of a reply, I'll leave you with an old saying I learned many years ago: "Never argue with an idiot, they'll only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

PS - By the way, I was not being a jerk about anything. Your cynicism is what brings my reply, not your original post.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby EvanKCMO » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:22 pm

semohunter wrote:
TomKat wrote:
semohunter wrote:im relatively new to this area and living in linn. i know we have some great areas up here to duck hunt within a couple of hours like grand pass and eagle bluffs. but i cant make a drive there during the week because i have school. are there any places that would be halfway decent for a morning hunt close to linn. I know you guys dont like giving out the info but it would be a great help as i dont have much time to do any scouting...a lot of the locals have said that its a waste of time to even try around here and just make the drive to columbia..would that be a true statement?


There are no ducks near Gasconade CO


i have thought that for a while....but saturday i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night so im thinking we may have found a spot to kill a few here and there...just have to scout it before we decide to hunt.



Sweet! I fish pointers creek all the time, I know excactly where you are talking about. Tell you what - we'll play rock paper scissors for who gets to sit there opening day? :beer:
EvanKCMO
hunter
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby BigAL64 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:17 pm

EvanKCMO wrote:
semohunter wrote:
TomKat wrote:
semohunter wrote:im relatively new to this area and living in linn. i know we have some great areas up here to duck hunt within a couple of hours like grand pass and eagle bluffs. but i cant make a drive there during the week because i have school. are there any places that would be halfway decent for a morning hunt close to linn. I know you guys dont like giving out the info but it would be a great help as i dont have much time to do any scouting...a lot of the locals have said that its a waste of time to even try around here and just make the drive to columbia..would that be a true statement?


There are no ducks near Gasconade CO


i have thought that for a while....but saturday i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night so im thinking we may have found a spot to kill a few here and there...just have to scout it before we decide to hunt.



Sweet! I fish pointers creek all the time, I know excactly where you are talking about. Tell you what - we'll play rock paper scissors for who gets to sit there opening day? :beer:



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :fingerhead: :no:
BigAL64
hunter
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm
Location: on the X in Missouri

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby semohunter » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:17 pm

EvanKCMO wrote:
semohunter wrote:
TomKat wrote:
semohunter wrote:im relatively new to this area and living in linn. i know we have some great areas up here to duck hunt within a couple of hours like grand pass and eagle bluffs. but i cant make a drive there during the week because i have school. are there any places that would be halfway decent for a morning hunt close to linn. I know you guys dont like giving out the info but it would be a great help as i dont have much time to do any scouting...a lot of the locals have said that its a waste of time to even try around here and just make the drive to columbia..would that be a true statement?


There are no ducks near Gasconade CO


i have thought that for a while....but saturday i was fishing by pointers creek boat dock and we saw 5 flocks of teal, and a few big ducks mixed in and since then we have gone back the past 2 nights and seen 3-5 flocks a night so im thinking we may have found a spot to kill a few here and there...just have to scout it before we decide to hunt.



Sweet! I fish pointers creek all the time, I know excactly where you are talking about. Tell you what - we'll play rock paper scissors for who gets to sit there opening day? :beer:

you can have the spot ive got other plans for north zone opener lol
semohunter
hunter
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:12 am

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby battman1 » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:23 am

And another thing to remember.You're probably giving out somebody elses spot too.I know if I was scouting a spot and somebody else gave it up so some ol boy could hunt it without spending any time or fuel I'd be alittle frustrated.
battman1
hunter
 
Posts: 63
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:49 pm
Location: Ray Co. Mo.

Re: Linn, Mo

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:45 pm

battman1 wrote:And another thing to remember.You're probably giving out somebody elses spot too.I know if I was scouting a spot and somebody else gave it up so some ol boy could hunt it without spending any time or fuel I'd be alittle frustrated.


RIGHT!!!! :thumbsup:
BigAL64
hunter
 
Posts: 1039
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm
Location: on the X in Missouri


Return to Missouri Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests