Columbia Bottoms/BK/Marais

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Columbia Bottoms/BK/Marais

Postby BPSgrizzly » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:54 pm

Hunted columbia bottoms tuesday morning scratched out one shoulda had 3 but we will chalk that up to bad shooting, anybody see any sort of migration since then? from what I heard it wouldn't be worth it to get up early tomorrow
BPSgrizzly
hunter

Re: Columbia Bottoms/BK/Marais

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:05 pm

sounds like across the state that just arent many birds!! I was thinking about going this weekend but think I'll get chores done and be ready for real hunting season!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby PDO » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:52 pm

Have hunted near STL everyday this week. Slow, slow, slow. Nada migration all week. Not even on the N wind days. Shouldn't have even loaded my gun today. I think I take it for what it is worth and sleep in tomorrow to keep from getting skunked AND soaked.

PO
PDO
hunter

Postby Cliner » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:51 pm

No big fronts to push em down. It seems to me like they skirted MO a little bit. At least western MO. KS had a ton in the center of the state last week. We've been scouting, chalk up this teal season as a loss and wait for big ducks. Some good rain is coming tonight, should be good for a lot of areas to flood some food.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby BPSgrizzly » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:25 pm

Yea going to take my one teal as a win and wait for the big ducks and early geese I just hope we get some cold weather before then to push the big ducks down.
BPSgrizzly
hunter

Postby BPSgrizzly » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:27 pm

By the Way thanks for the help guys and not giving me heat about "internet scouting"
BPSgrizzly
hunter

Postby JohnnyB30 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:20 am

I had roughly 300-400 here in the center part of the state around Fort Leonard Wood. We have a few small ponds on post that had dried down and grassed up. The week before season opened this place was crawling. Come Saturday morning, not a bird in site. I hunt with 5 other guys so we share in scouting and blind spots. None of us has put a single one down. Only thing moving here is local woodies and the golf course geese. Cant wait to hurt their feelings......Good luck across the weekend and be safe fellas!!!
JohnnyB30
Newb

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:41 am

BPSgrizzly wrote:By the Way thanks for the help guys and not giving me heat about "internet scouting"

You werent asking for spots.... Just general anyone seeing birds...
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:52 am

It's been pretty rough across the state, a few guys have had some decent shooting here and there, but no consistent beat downs. From what I am hearing, the folks in western Kansas are covered up, and there are still a$$loads in SoDak. Gonna see a cool down up north this weekend, and Minnesota opens their duck season saturday, so may see a pressure push, but probably to little to late.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:56 am

hoping for big ducks? :lol: I had at least 50 total pairs and singles land in my teal spread, already seeing plenty of the big ducks lol. woodies, pintails, and shovelers, also a lot of mallards. :grooving:
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby matt9966 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:20 am

I have been seeing decent numbers of birds flying along the MS River in the evenings. Not hundreds but 5 or 6 decent sized flocks.

Yesterday evening shot 3 BWT off the river - seems (for the spot I hunt) the evenings have been more productive as for seeing migrants coming through. I'll be out again this evening as my last hurrah until late oct.
matt9966
hunter

Postby kingbob04 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:15 pm

I hunted bk this last sat and sun was able to get a two man limit on sat but only got 6 on sun. The hardest thing was not shooting the hundreds of wood ducks flying around. All in all i was able to stock 30 teal in my freezer this season. those sure will go good with cold beer and Sunday football.
kingbob04
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting