Any ducks left???

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Any ducks left???

Postby scarecrow » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:04 pm

Is anyone still seeing large numbers of ducks in MO? I'm hoping that some of the ducks are still hanging around up north where there isn't much snow because I can't see them hangin around central MO much longer, if they haven't left already.

I'm just assuming the marshes have been freezing over and moving the birds out, but I'm sure you guys will let me know if I'm wrong.

I guess MDC will be doing a survey this week so we'll find out what's still here.
scarecrow
hunter

Postby MoHunter » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:40 pm

Don't have an answer for the question, but I'm getting real worried that our season might be over soon if we don't get this ice/snow to melt. A lot of guys are saying they aren't having much luck. Plus, Arkansas has really picked up this past week. Not good for us.

I guess we'll see.
"Here's the deal...I'm the best there is." -Ricky Bobby
MoHunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Bunches on the river still, but not may holding on the ponds, lakes, and refuges. If it melts off this week, I think we can still salvage a pretty good season.

Otherwise, I'm hitting the honkers and coyotes...
bgoldhunter
hunter

Re: Any ducks left???

Postby JDW127 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:58 pm

scarecrow wrote:Is anyone still seeing large numbers of ducks in MO? I'm hoping that some of the ducks are still hanging around up north where there isn't much snow because I can't see them hangin around central MO much longer, if they haven't left already.

Don't know how the northwest is but I'm about 30 miles south of Iowa and we had about 4 inches of snow. Below is a picture of what the marsh I like to hunt was like on Saturday morning:

That was about 3 inches of ice. It's probably 4-5+ inches out there now. I'll let you guess how well we're holding birds.
JDW127
hunter

Postby the legend » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:39 pm

we still have ducks in south dakota, and over thanksgiving, they were in north dakota yet. alot on the rivers. dont give up yet!
"A legend in his own mind."
the legend
hunter

Postby River Rat MO » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:34 pm

We still have 180,000 on grand pass but you have to draw number 1 or 2 to shoot ducks there . But we hunted the river yesterday up river from grand pass and saw alot and killed alot . :thumbsup:
"take em "
River Rat MO
hunter

Postby JDW127 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:51 pm

If only I had a boat and time.
JDW127
hunter

Postby duckhuntinsailor » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:19 pm

I have been hunting an 80 ac lake just north of Columbia. There's been enough wind it has very little ice. It has a couple thousand birds, mostly divers, which makes it hard to hunt. There are more than enough geese there also. The problem I'm having is I need about 5 groups of hunters to keep the divers moving. Unfortunately, I can't take anyone out there with me. Eagle Bluffs has two maybe three holes killing ducks at the pumps where the water is open. There are still alot of birds in the area but the hunting conditions are tough. The ice in the hunting pools is 5 in thick and a chainsaw is the best way to get through it. The good news is if you go you're not going to get turned away, just depends if you think it's worth it. For me, I'd rather cut a hole in the ice and nearly freeze to death before setting in house watching tv. GL hunting.
If you can hit em, Karmin can get em. Once there down, just say back and watch her go!
duckhuntinsailor
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:32 pm

One word for the southern half!

SUX!

The snow and ice has made it almost impossible for the ducks to feed. They've moved on to geener pastures! The daily highs of 20's haven't let anything melt off!
:pissed:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby River Rat MO » Tue Dec 05, 2006 7:06 pm

I had to work today but just talked to my buddy he and three other guys went to grand pass today . They had to break ice and he said they sat there til about 15 till 10 and decided to move. They put out 12 full bodies on the ice around a corn strip extended the pole on his mojo and had it over top of the corn and said they had their mallards in about 30 mins no kidding . In 5 west. sux to have to work
"take em "
River Rat MO
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:07 pm

ducks finaly hit us in the south. I thought they were gonna stay north all season. normaly we have have about 10k more ducks on hand but they holled up north this year. and it's been sucky.

now us in the south can get in on the action.
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Postby JDW127 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:54 pm

MOwaterfowler wrote:ducks finaly hit us in the south. I thought they were gonna stay north all season. normaly we have have about 10k more ducks on hand but they holled up north this year. and it's been sucky.

That's one of the funniest things I've read in a while. Thanks for the laugh.
JDW127
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:14 pm

There are still a bunch of ducks around. You just have to look and work a little harder for them. Six of us shot 36 ducks yesterday. One was a nice bull Sprig and got into several gwt too.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby MOwaterfowler » Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:35 pm

oops i ment to say after the storm we jumped 10k at the local CA went from 8k to nearly 18k. normaly we have that middle november or sooner. back in the day we had that before season opened. now it stays warm to long.
MOwaterfowler
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting