Wader questions??

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Wader questions??

Postby scarecrow » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:23 am

I'm looking for a new set of waders and can't decide which is the best wader for the money.

I've considered the Cabelas Ultimate, Lacrosse Brush-Tuff, Hodgman DuraMag 1200, and the Macks Grand Prairie. I've heard real good things about the Lacrosse and the Hodgman but I'm not sure I want to drop that kind of money.

The Grand Prairie looks like it has all the features a guy would want for a reasonable price, does anyone know anything about the quality, durability, comfort, etc?
scarecrow
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:43 am

I have the Cabelas Ultimag Waders with the 1600 gram boot. I love them. They are really warm when you're moving around a lot but I think they are great waders. This is my second season with them. So far so good.
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:14 am

My friend got a pair of the Bone Dry series, from Bass Pro. They're guaranteed, when they rip, you can take them back and recieve a brand new pair.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby Cut'm » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:26 am

I've heard great customer service stories from Lacrosse. They'll probably be my next pair. I wear Hodgman now....1000 gram 5MM and I sweat.
Cut'm
hunter

Waders

Postby cride1 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:12 pm

I purchased the Cabela's Ultimag waders, but don't really care for them. The boot is huge with the 16oo gram thinsilate. I have large calves and the top of the boot is very tight and pretty uncomfortable. I am planning on returning them to Cabela's and am considersing the Lacrosse Brush Tuff or the Bone-Dry from Bass Pro. The Bone-Dry has a pretty big boot also, but look like pretty nice waders.
cride1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:48 am

Lacrosee Brush Tuff's for me. Get them after season, and you will only spend somewhere around 100 bucks. Not a bad deal for a $160 or 70 pair of waders.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby hooper » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:27 pm

Lecross for me. Awesome waders. And to boot, when they rang up, I paid 60.
hooper
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:00 pm

Hodgman Duramag 1200 in Shadowgrass. Love em!!!! I paid Something like $130 brand new sealed in the box! Theres a guy on Ebay that sells waders, Woodburyoutfitters is the name they use on Ebay. They sell them now, brand new, for $179. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find them on Ebay. This is the third season of hard use, no complaints from me.
:thumbsup:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby scarecrow » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:12 pm

I like the price on the DuraMag. Any ideas on how the boots fit. I tried some Bone-Dry waders and they fit well when I matched my shoe size. But some Lacrosse waders I tried I had to go up a size to fit the larger socks.
scarecrow
hunter

Postby duckbuster1 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:54 am

I have a pair of hodgman duramags. 3yr old the first year they where fine .but the last 2 years they started leaking in the seams.if you you dont do alot of walking or hunt in thick cover you will prob.be ok i wont by another pair
duckbuster1
Newb

Postby huntmq1 » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:20 pm

The boots fit kinda big. But I wear two pairs of boot socks anyway plus a pair of polar fleece wader pants. In my opinion, when you have a little space in your boot, your feet stay warmer. It's trapped air that can warm up. Tight boots can restrict circulation, thus making cold feet.
I've never had problems with my wader seams. I can tell you that after walking in them and putting out dekes, I am kinda wet inside the waders. But thats from sweat, not water leaking in. That tells me that the 5mm thickness is doing it's job. Holding my body heat in and keeping the cold out! :thumbsup:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting