EARLY HONKERS

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

EARLY HONKERS

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:49 am

ok, early honkers.... few questions. 1: will we have a few flocks moving in from the north, along with the residents?
2. thinking about some of the CA's I normally field hunt geese, like TMP, and maybe OS, or some others, I know they hold some geese but will they be nearly as easy as the local golf course canadas?
3. has anyone been seing any flocks? residents or migratory?
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm
Location: Arcadia MO


Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby BigMuddy » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:44 pm

Jack there's a cut corn field (silage ? ) within a mile over the hill from me and I've been hearing a lot more geese coming and going lately . I just dont know if they're local or not but they are gathering more to feed. Need and see if can get permission to hunt that field ! I'm in MId MO near Mexico .
BigMuddy
hunter
 
Posts: 323
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:18 pm

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby Cliner » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 am

1. No
2. No
3. Yes, residents.

:beer:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:03 am

Once the combines fire up around here (which they did last week) geese jump field to field.... Seems a new field opens every day which makes it hard to figure them out!! Early geese will make you mader than any other geese!!!!!!!!!! Even snows!! They are either dumb and come right in or know the slightest thing is off and just move on and you end up chasing them from field to field and never get them! :mad:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
User avatar
i_willie12
hunter
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Marshall MO

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby satguy » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:50 am

Find local ponds and lakes. You will usually get 1 crack at a flock on those local ponds. Just have multiple ponds and lakes lined up. They get educated real quick :hammer:
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:08 am
Location: Festus, Missouri

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby Deadeye » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:12 pm

Im puting my blind on my lil jon tonight and loading the feets in it.My early place has geese, we will see how smart they get in one day.
Jig is my green headed corn grinder finder.
Deadeye
hunter
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed May 17, 2006 7:26 am
Location: Pool 24,Carrollton Bottoms,Hillsboro

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:08 pm

satguy wrote:Find local ponds and lakes. You will usually get 1 crack at a flock on those local ponds. Just have multiple ponds and lakes lined up. They get educated real quick :hammer:


I never hunt roost lakes! Quickest way to educate them and blow them out of an area!! IMO!!
BigAL64
hunter
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm
Location: on the X in Missouri

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:13 pm

BigAL64 wrote:
satguy wrote:Find local ponds and lakes. You will usually get 1 crack at a flock on those local ponds. Just have multiple ponds and lakes lined up. They get educated real quick :hammer:


I never hunt roost lakes! Quickest way to educate them and blow them out of an area!! IMO!!


I dont really care about early goose season.... Roost ponds/day loaf spots are about your best bet for early geese
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
User avatar
i_willie12
hunter
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Marshall MO

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby Cliner » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:54 pm

i_willie12 wrote:
BigAL64 wrote:
satguy wrote:Find local ponds and lakes. You will usually get 1 crack at a flock on those local ponds. Just have multiple ponds and lakes lined up. They get educated real quick :hammer:


I never hunt roost lakes! Quickest way to educate them and blow them out of an area!! IMO!!


I dont really care about early goose season.... Roost ponds/day loaf spots are about your best bet for early geese


^^This. I'm with ya. I love hunting either. Usually we hunt loaf spots. Roost spots in early season can be sketchy. If you don't get in there early before they can see you real well, they won't come back after you run them off.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 966
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby oktakem » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:46 pm

We are going to try a spot we just got permission to hunt about a month ago. Large pond near Wentzville on private property. The bow hunters said its full of geese. I have no idea what "full" means to them, but it sure beats fighting everyone and their uncle on public ground! Hopefully we can get my buddies 8 year old his first bird! Make it a good hunt for us all. Now if we can all kill out I would be happy happy happy!!!! Goose breast on the smoker.....now we're talkin!
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
User avatar
oktakem
hunter
 
Posts: 82
Joined: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:46 pm
Location: St. Louis, Mo.

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Guys hunting roost lakes is what has ruined the goose hunting around here. They push the birds off the farm ponds and onto places where they can't be shot at and when the migrators show up they go where the resident geese are. We use to have around 10,000 geese using the farm ponds and lakes and now they have moved to industrial areas and golf courses and gated lake properties. Roost shooting is lazy and inconsiderate. IMO! Take the time, follow them off the roost and see what fields they are using and gain permission to hunt them. Then you won't push the flock out of the area and ruin it for everyone else!!! :hammer:
BigAL64
hunter
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm
Location: on the X in Missouri

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby SPatrick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:11 am

to the OP, you will not have any migrators, only resident canada's. Shooting geese over water is easiest way to do it in the early season due to new fields continually being cut. Not all ponds with geese on them are roost ponds. Some are loafing spots where they will return to following a feed. Those are personally the best spots to shoot them during your early season, unless you have a field they have been hammering for a few days straight. Personally I think the oct. opener for geese is just stupid, no reason we shouldnt have a sept 1 opener like the states around us.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
User avatar
SPatrick
State Moderator
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am
Location: MO

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:58 am

SPatrick wrote:to the OP, you will not have any migrators, only resident canada's. Shooting geese over water is easiest way to do it in the early season due to new fields continually being cut. Not all ponds with geese on them are roost ponds. Some are loafing spots where they will return to following a feed. Those are personally the best spots to shoot them during your early season, unless you have a field they have been hammering for a few days straight. Personally I think the oct. opener for geese is just stupid, no reason we shouldnt have a sept 1 opener like the states around us.



Yes I live on a rest lake. they come and hang out during the day and leave. They are good to hunt. My pet pieve is when people hunt roost lakes and blow them out of the area I am trying to hunt. I do the leg work, find the roost, find what fields they are using, gain permission. Then some a hole hammers a roost lake for a couple days and they all leave the area. :fingerhead: :mad:
BigAL64
hunter
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm
Location: on the X in Missouri

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby MODAKR » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:50 am

i've been seeing a few feeding wheat stubble that didn't go into beans this year. they have been hitting them 2-3 times per week for over a month. i'm not planning to even try and mess with them. its 150 yds from a county hwy that has 10,000 cars per day on it in St.Chuck county and i'd guess it'd be spoken for.

i agree Al on the roosts maybe not as much for this 'early' season but def for reg season when migrators show up... and you prolly know this but go search roost busting on the NoDak forum and people get super pi$$ed about it there, which isn't surprising since majority of hunting up there is in the field.

i don't get why MO doesn't have a true early season either or why the limit didn't increase. I know that NoDak,MN and IA have one, i think Illinois too, right? NoDak increased the reg season limit to 8 per day! and the early season limit is 15 per day!!!
MODAKR
hunter
 
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:41 am
Location: West of St. Louis

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby SPatrick » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:28 am

We dont have the numbers to support an 8 per day limit especially in the areas outside of the burbs. Now could we bump it up to 5 like they do in IL, I would think so. IL has a Sept 1 opener on Canada's and if you are north of I-70 you can shoot 5 birds per day. Most of our resident population resides on golf courses and retention ponds, and never even think twice about leaving the area. They have adapted to eating grass and bugs and hardly ever venture out to find ag-grains. I have sat on birds during a freeze up in thinking some would move to the river off of a retention pond area, and never saw one think about leaving...its insanity.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
User avatar
SPatrick
State Moderator
 
Posts: 1922
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:06 am
Location: MO

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:46 pm

Those geese couldnt fly more than 5 miles at once and have no idea what grain feeds even are!!!!!!!!!! Cracker geese and bounch from the pond by hole 1 to the pond by hole 8 on the golf course
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
User avatar
i_willie12
hunter
 
Posts: 3980
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:42 am
Location: Marshall MO

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby satguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:58 pm

The ponds and lakes I was referring to are loaf spots. The geese in my area roosts on the city park and lake developments. I have a couple farm ponds and cut corn fields I hunt.
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:08 am
Location: Festus, Missouri

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby satguy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:58 pm

The ponds and lakes I was referring to are loaf spots. The geese in my area roosts on the city park and lake developments. I have a couple farm ponds and cut corn fields I hunt.
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:08 am
Location: Festus, Missouri

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby fowlhabit4 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:48 pm

I've never personally had shootin resident geese on roosts cause problems for when migrators arrive. But the birds I hunt early are in places migrators just don't use. We usually hit 4 or 5 roosts and loafing ponds in the short 10 days and then next year the birds are right back on them. But every area is different I guess.
fowlhabit4
hunter
 
Posts: 354
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:01 pm
Location: Columbia MO

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby missouriducks » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:25 pm

BigAL64 wrote:
SPatrick wrote:to the OP, you will not have any migrators, only resident canada's. Shooting geese over water is easiest way to do it in the early season due to new fields continually being cut. Not all ponds with geese on them are roost ponds. Some are loafing spots where they will return to following a feed. Those are personally the best spots to shoot them during your early season, unless you have a field they have been hammering for a few days straight. Personally I think the oct. opener for geese is just stupid, no reason we shouldnt have a sept 1 opener like the states around us.



Yes I live on a rest lake. they come and hang out during the day and leave. They are good to hunt. My pet pieve is when people hunt roost lakes and blow them out of the area I am trying to hunt. I do the leg work, find the roost, find what fields they are using, gain permission. Then some a hole hammers a roost lake for a couple days and they all leave the area. :fingerhead: :mad:


So lets say you have a private lake to hunt and there is about 100 birds roosting on it, they fly off to a subdivision to feed where they can't be shot. I bet you wouldn't hunt it huh? In the winter time I will run a ice eater for a few days on my lake and get a bunch of them to roost then wait for em to leave and hunt them when they come back from feeding.
missouriducks
hunter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:35 pm

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby BigAL64 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:06 pm

missouriducks wrote:
BigAL64 wrote:
SPatrick wrote:to the OP, you will not have any migrators, only resident canada's. Shooting geese over water is easiest way to do it in the early season due to new fields continually being cut. Not all ponds with geese on them are roost ponds. Some are loafing spots where they will return to following a feed. Those are personally the best spots to shoot them during your early season, unless you have a field they have been hammering for a few days straight. Personally I think the oct. opener for geese is just stupid, no reason we shouldnt have a sept 1 opener like the states around us.



Yes I live on a rest lake. they come and hang out during the day and leave. They are good to hunt. My pet pieve is when people hunt roost lakes and blow them out of the area I am trying to hunt. I do the leg work, find the roost, find what fields they are using, gain permission. Then some a hole hammers a roost lake for a couple days and they all leave the area. :fingerhead: :mad:


So lets say you have a private lake to hunt and there is about 100 birds roosting on it, they fly off to a subdivision to feed where they can't be shot. I bet you wouldn't hunt it huh? In the winter time I will run a ice eater for a few days on my lake and get a bunch of them to roost then wait for em to leave and hunt them when they come back from feeding.


Nope!! Sure wouldn't!! They can't live on grass forever. If it' gets cold they will hit the corn and beans sooner or later!! Not into instant gradifacation!! :no: .
BigAL64
hunter
 
Posts: 1040
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:14 pm
Location: on the X in Missouri

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:58 pm

I agree. tomorrow I wilbe hunting part of the black river where there are a lot of locals. they come through early of a morning a lot and feed in a nearby subdivision/ campground. my property butts up to it, and there is a cove off of the river, with a sandy/ grassy point between it and the main river channel. I will place 14 shells, and 2 full bodies on this point and do some calling across the river as well as watching a fishing pole too of course :yes: . hopefully I can bag a couple.
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm
Location: Arcadia MO

Re: EARLY HONKERS

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:45 pm

CUT'EM ALL JACK wrote:I agree. tomorrow I wilbe hunting part of the black river where there are a lot of locals. they come through early of a morning a lot and feed in a nearby subdivision/ campground. my property butts up to it, and there is a cove off of the river, with a sandy/ grassy point between it and the main river channel. I will place 14 shells, and 2 full bodies on this point and do some calling across the river as well as watching a fishing pole too of course :yes: . hopefully I can bag a couple.

early season they dont much if any calling
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3211
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!


Return to Missouri Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests