Youth hunt

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

Youth hunt

Postby sehunter1 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:50 pm

I have a 9 year old cousin that I will be participating with in the youth hunt this year. It's my first time taking a youth and will be his first duck hunt. He has show very impressive natural shooting ability despite not having a dad that hunts to kind of show him the ropes, so I figured this year I would move him up from squirrels and rabbits to ducks, may even corrupt him with a deer hunt if I can borrow a 243 of a buddy. My question is, for guys that have taken kids, any ideas how to keep him occupied during a lull in the action? I'm all about getting him a duck or two but I don't wanna appear so serious he has no fun and I ruin it for him. I'm not a parent so it's gonna be a new experience for us both. With small game there's always somewhere to walk or a dog to catch up. I just want him to think being in the blind is fun. Any help, ideas, or tips from dads, uncles, and grandpas is appreciated!
sehunter1
hunter

Re: Youth hunt

Postby EvanKCMO » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:47 am

iphone, thermos of hot chocolate, hunting magazines and deer sausage
EvanKCMO
hunter

Postby sjndknichols » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:28 pm

go for short periods of time and go where there is a lot of ducks
sjndknichols
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:18 pm

Get him a whistle too. Easy to use. Show him how and he will like feeling like he is helping. Don't forget snacks!
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby iamduckhead » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:13 pm

find a good woodduck hole, they give you plenty of action and you'll be done within 2 hours (10 min. if he's hitting them)
iamduckhead
hunter

Postby webman911 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:23 pm

Lots of snacks!!!
Why am I always counting down the days til the next season???
webman911
Newb

Postby sehunter1 » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:33 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I'm getting the finishing touches put on everything and getting excited. I put the boy a lanyard together with a teal whistle and a buck Gardner call. I got him a feed shaker as well and have been working with him a little on how to call and when to do so. He gets a huge kick out of the calls and I think that he thinks he will be the big shot in the blind this year.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:56 pm

sehunter1 wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I'm getting the finishing touches put on everything and getting excited. I put the boy a lanyard together with a teal whistle and a buck Gardner call. I got him a feed shaker as well and have been working with him a little on how to call and when to do so. He gets a huge kick out of the calls and I think that he thinks he will be the big shot in the blind this year.

:thumbsup: There is nothing better than the joy you will get when you see him smack his first duck! :thumbsup:
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:16 pm

Took my little brother last year on the youth hunt and he got 2 the first day, and he limited out the 2nd day!

he was just fine with out normal set up, we used layout blinds and sat right where corn(not cut), cut beans, and water all met.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby sehunter1 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:35 am

870shooter wrote:
sehunter1 wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I'm getting the finishing touches put on everything and getting excited. I put the boy a lanyard together with a teal whistle and a buck Gardner call. I got him a feed shaker as well and have been working with him a little on how to call and when to do so. He gets a huge kick out of the calls and I think that he thinks he will be the big shot in the blind this year.

:thumbsup: There is nothing better than the joy you will get when you see him smack his first duck! :thumbsup:

You were right, I was tickled to death and giddy like I haven't been in years. He rolled the first duck that came in this morning. Sadly the rest of the morning wasn't so smooth. He drew next to last and the ducks just hadn't seemed to find us. He got a couple more shots at woodies but missed and at 9 he soaked his gloves and that was pretty much game over. He loved the hunt though and can't wait til next week to go back. :thumbsup:
sehunter1
hunter

Postby knockemdeadd » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:53 am

sehunter1 wrote:
870shooter wrote:

You were right, I was tickled to death and giddy like I haven't been in years. He rolled the first duck that came in this morning. Sadly the rest of the morning wasn't so smooth. He drew next to last and the ducks just hadn't seemed to find us. He got a couple more shots at woodies but missed and at 9 he soaked his gloves and that was pretty much game over. He loved the hunt though and can't wait til next week to go back. :thumbsup:

Thats what its all about, right there...you've created a MONSTER :clapping: :clapping: :beer:
knockemdeadd
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:23 pm

sehunter1 wrote:
870shooter wrote:

That's great. Sounds like both of you made some lifetime memories. How does it get any better?? :clapping:
Budweiser ProStaff
870shooter
State Moderator

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting