Hunting in North central, North East Missouri

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Hunting in North central, North East Missouri

Postby MOhunter08 » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:30 pm

Hey guys, after my first dove season I'm ready to put the hurt on some of our flying friends. This will be my first waterfowl season. I'm looking to get some advice on areas to hunt in north central, north eastern missouri. I'm really close to Rebels Cove CA and not far from Union Ridge. Has anyone hunted these areas. I was also looking at Indian Hills CA. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks! Hope everyone who went had a good opening morning.
MOhunter08
hunter

Re: Hunting in North central, North East Missouri

Postby satguy1963 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:26 am

I have never duck hunted Rebels Cove but there is a lot of marsh land there. It looked really good for ducks. I deer hunt around Lancaster and have visited Rebels cove a couple of times but never hunted it. The marshes are on the north side that I saw. If I lived around there I would definitely give it a try. I know nothing about duck habitat on the other areas you mentioned.
satguy1963
hunter

Postby MOhunter08 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:21 pm

I live in Lancaster and thats the closest one to me. They still have what looks to me like good marsh areas on the north side. I think I'll give it a go. Frost Island I think it's called over in Clark county has a wet marsh area and a small pond right next to the Des Moines River I think it is.
MOhunter08
hunter

Postby MOhunter08 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:04 pm

Found out you could hunt at Hazel Creek Lake which is a very large lake. I've already heard of some people have luck there.
MOhunter08
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:36 am

Seriously quit posting names of places. Its great that you have found places to hunt but c'mon. :fingerhead: :fingerhead:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:54 am

goodkarmarising wrote:Seriously quit posting names of places. Its great that you have found places to hunt but c'mon. :fingerhead: :fingerhead:

This board is just one giant, internet scout anymore. :no: :fingerhead:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 am

Cliner wrote:
goodkarmarising wrote:Seriously quit posting names of places. Its great that you have found places to hunt but c'mon. :fingerhead: :fingerhead:

Worse than a dating website!!! :rolleyes:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby satguy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:21 am

Seriously??? You all are getting your panties in a bunch over a question about public hunting areas? When everyone rushes to the areas the original poster ask about you won't have to worry about anyone being on your X. Unless that is your X he mentioned. In any case it isn't my X. I am just glad that a fellow hunter may have found a spot to throw out some dekes and give it a try. Everybody has the ability to send a personal message to anyone on DHC. Just send them a PM and say hey, You might want to keep that info to yourself. The messages sent in the open just seems a little harsh to those who are new on here. My humble opinion only.
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:29 am

Here's a thought instead of getting on a public forum, asking questions about a hunting area , get in your car and go scout the area. Take a road trip and see what the area offers instead of blabbing on the internet that hey this area over here has ducks on it. I hope the message is loud and clear to the new guys. Keep wherever you are finding, scouting, killing ducks private.
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:39 am

i_willie12 wrote:
Cliner wrote:

Willie, we got turned away down in your neck of the woods on Sunday. Place was packed. 26 parties drawing for 4 spots.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:44 am

Cliner wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
Cliner wrote:

Willie, we got turned away down in your neck of the woods on Sunday. Place was packed. 26 parties drawing for 4 spots.

Yup it will be a joke for awhile! Not much water... I probably wont even try to hunt there till about december and the only reason then is I will have family and friends up to hunt that want to try and stand in line... I'm personally done with that place! :mad: will hunt areas around and kill a couple ducks and not have to get up at 3:00 am to stand in line with a bunch of top waters and try and draw for 5 spots!!
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 am

i_willie12 wrote:
Cliner wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:
Cliner wrote:

Yup it will be a joke for awhile! Not much water... I probably wont even try to hunt there till about december and the only reason then is I will have family and friends up to hunt that want to try and stand in line... I'm personally done with that place! :mad: will hunt areas around and kill a couple ducks and not have to get up at 3:00 am to stand in line with a bunch of top waters and try and draw for 5 spots!!

Yea, we're waiting for the ducks to make it to our non-draw spots. They didn't do that great out there this weekend anyway, but what a cluster****. Supposed to get a lot of rain this week though, should be better in a month or so out there.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby satguy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:08 am

I am waiting for it to get real nasty because that's when the fair weather hunters sleep in. No ducks on the move yet thru Missouri.
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter

Postby Cliner » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:30 pm

Yea, it always takes a few weeks though. Once the weather is pretty consistent under freezing, it clears out a a bit. I'm hoping for an early freeze
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby MOhunter08 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:52 pm

I'm sorry I post on a public forum about PUBLIC hunting places that are easily found through pre-kindergarten searching on the internet. If you find a "secret" spot that no one else knows about good for you. I'm not giving away any sort of secrets. If you didn't know about these places before I mentioned them why do you even have internet? I'm simply asking if anyone has hunted these easily accessible public hunting areas. I'm not asking where to go on said areas just general hunting info that can't be found on the conservation web site. For being a site called "duck hunting chat" it's feeling like bitch and moan chat by the old geezers who don't like the up and coming hunters of the new generation. Sorry you didn't have these convenient resources when you were younger. That's not my fault. Go take your pity party somewhere else. If you don't want to give any advice, that's not going to hurt my feelings one bit but when you want to come on here and be a rude ass that crap is for the birds. (No pun intended) Don't post anything and move on. Thanks for everyone who has gave me some info or advice. It is very much appreciated.
MOhunter08
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:57 pm

OOOH SNAP!!! NO HE DIDNT!! :lol:
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:23 am

I'm not asking where to go on said areas just general hunting info that can't be found on the conservation web site.

As in information that can only be found out by putting boots to the ground and walking the area...And please tell me why I should give out information like that to you? And I'm being rude for not wanting to give you a list of areas to kill ducks at in Northern Missouri, oh I feel so bad about that. How do I sleep at night? Oh, I forgot this old geezer of 33 is supposed to hold your hand and lead you to the ducks like a little kindergardener. Maybe you want all the maps, phone numbers, gps coordinates, etc that I've acquired by burning gas and putting boots on the ground simply because you come onto a forum and ask for them. Yeah right. :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:02 am

True DAT karma! I think some people honestly just don't see it like some of us do. I know alot of new guys that ask me random questions, and I'm not trying to be mean, but a lot of time and money has gone into my life style. Why do they think they deserve a free ride?? I can tell you one thing, these public areas u know about, they have some secrets to them. Shanks especially. It takes time to learn and be consistent with waterfowl. Its the most rewarding part about it. So to you guys wanting info, start putting in some time and work for it. Maybe it was harmless asking, but stop and think about it. This sport is cut throat now, no thanks to TV and this fancy marketing crap.and I seem to loose hunting ground every year. So it will and does offend people when they, I, see the lazyness from new hunters. I call you guys board watchers. The ones that stare at the kill boards for 1 hour, just trying to see who's killing the ducks in what spot. So turn your approach around now, before you become a hateful, ungrateful waterfowler, like what I'm starting to see way to much of. Bring back some fellowship and camaraderie to the sport while you still can. For all of us
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:20 am

fowlhabit4 wrote:True DAT karma! I think some people honestly just don't see it like some of us do. I know alot of new guys that ask me random questions, and I'm not trying to be mean, but a lot of time and money has gone into my life style. Why do they think they deserve a free ride?? I can tell you one thing, these public areas u know about, they have some secrets to them. Shanks especially. It takes time to learn and be consistent with waterfowl. Its the most rewarding part about it. So to you guys wanting info, start putting in some time and work for it. Maybe it was harmless asking, but stop and think about it. This sport is cut throat now, no thanks to TV and this fancy marketing crap.and I seem to loose hunting ground every year. So it will and does offend people when they, I, see the lazyness from new hunters. I call you guys board watchers. The ones that stare at the kill boards for 1 hour, just trying to see who's killing the ducks in what spot. So turn your approach around now, before you become a hateful, ungrateful waterfowler, like what I'm starting to see way to much of. Bring back some fellowship and camaraderie to the sport while you still can. For all of us

:ditto: :ditto: All of us that have been in this sport for longer than 10 years have lost a spot to talking about it, or taking a new hunter to it, etc... So most of us just dont talk about duck hunting!! I have my group of 3-4 guys we hunt with.. We dont talk to anyone else about our season :no: "you guys seeing any ducks? yeah a few here there not many.." always no real answer We have spent far to much time, money, investited sweet equity with landowners finding ducks... Like fowl said this sport has really changed the last 8 years!!!!!!! went from a fun recreation hang out take new people out hunting to a cut throat record high hunter numbers, commercialized sport. I mean grand pass had 80 parties drawing for about 8 spots on saturday!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Thats crazy Use to hunt there back in college 10 years ago and there was about 40 parties trying for 35 spots

PS i bet we would have been a little more helpful if you asked questions about spots to duck hunt in June, July.. Not right before opening day of duck season!! :no: Scouting doesnt start on Opening day!!!!
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:38 pm

I scout 24-7! Find new lakes, creeks, sloughs, farm ponds. Most dont pan out but if 1 of 20 spots kills ducks and i catch a fish while scouting them. I win. But the gas is burnt year round.
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby MOhunter08 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:08 pm

I've went the wrong way about getting the info I was looking for and I do apologize. I know all you guys spend lots of time, money, and gas in trying to find areas that work for you. I was not looking to step on any toes and I know that's what I've done. That's my fault. Again I apologize for being a ****. I wasn't trying to get your favorite spots or anything like that I have no problem scouting. I like doing it. I just went about getting the info the wrong way. I haven't done much duck hunting I did when I was little and this past year I dove hunted and realized how much I like to bird hunt. What advice would you give a new(er) Missouri duck hunter?
MOhunter08
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Problem is you are behind the 8 ball here!!! Season has started!! Most people already have most of the spots found You cant really decide one day to start duck hunting... This year water will be king!!! We are in a drought!! Find water there should be some ducks on it If it gets super cold (pray for super cold weather every night before you go to bed!!!) look at rivers, small creeks that stay open... Look at the areas you asked about and walk around them and see whats there. no one is going to say yeah we are seeing ducks at Rebels cove on the N side by the big tree... Because even though its public its not known area for duck hunters! if i was to jump on here and say hey they are killing ducks in pool 6 at grand pass everyone would jump on here and say no sh*t and zebras have strips! Its not a secret But not all public areas are created equal so people that have been hunting these little spots dont want someone blowing about them on the internet! :no: heck just take me for instance i had never heard of those places and checked them out on MDC website just to see where they were, what they had going on (and i was bored at work) but i had no intentions of hunting there! Now if someone in your area didnt know about that place different story
Also my experience with the MDC maps is if they show a "marsh" with there little blue looking piece of grass... That will only be holding water in WET years! FYI
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby Cliner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:56 pm

My advice to a new hunter would be to simply, get out of the truck. Just because you can't see it from the truck, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Walk through the woods, a field, whatever you have to do to get to what you want to look at. Find access ways to that spot and make it happen to get there. I hate scouting, I'll admit it. It sucks, it's not fun, usually very hot and it's all theoretical (in regards to IF we get water). I do scout though. Like Willie said, conservation areas are no secret, they all kill ducks. Now I may not tell anyone where I like to go in Pintail Chute to kill ducks but many-a-duck are killed in that pool. I've just put the time in to figure out where I've had more success. Had some good hunts, had some not so good hunts. Nothing against anybody, but some secrets are still there. In my opinion, I would offer the advice to start out by just going out and watching where they go and get your boots on the ground to find out why they go there. Another tip, don't be afraid to F#*K up. Everyone has and will again.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby MOhunter08 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:15 pm

Thanks I've got a lot of advice by just looking at the threads on here!
MOhunter08
hunter

Postby kdog » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:35 pm

I used to hunt those spots ....they have become so crowded anymore that i dont hunt them ...its not worth the time drawing out once every 15 draws ......i think it has become crowded due to this new technology called the inter-nets .....carry on
walmart sucks the life out of your town

POUND SALT /SAND ...Whatever it is
kdog
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting