My Layout Boat troubles and ??'s

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

My Layout Boat troubles and ??'s

Postby KTJones » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:49 am

So this past weekend I'm getting my layout boat out of my barn to make sure everything is in order. I put it on the trailer only to find that the whole backend of the boat including the transom is cracked down both sides and can be moved up and down 3-5". Further investigation revealed that it is in fact beyond repair. So I've been hunting for another layout boat which as most of you know is difficult this time of year. I found one one here that I'm very interested in, but the guy doesn't have a title. He's in KY and they are a title state. I asked the lady at the DOR and she said that since they are a title state, he can't technically sell it without a title meaning I couldn't register it here in MO. My last layout boat wasn't registered, but i don't know if I could still use it at the CA's without it being registeres or am I taking a huge change. The boat is < 12' if that matters. Hopefully someone here can offer some knowledge on this subject or know where I can pick up a good layout boat that will handle a mud motor.

Thanks
KTJones
hunter

Re: My Layout Boat troubles and ??'s

Postby franchifowler » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:02 am

your broken boat is fiberglass? there is no "beyond repair" but perhaps its just "beyond your comfort level to tackle?"

As for buying a boat without title. You can either do it or not. Your right you won't be able to title it in MO but if your only using it on conservation/private land then its up to you. I registered my layouts when i had them. Never put the stickers on though cause i thought it was dumb being covered in grass. Got checked twice by agents. Never once did they ask to check boat registration. If i could go back i wouldn't even register them with state. its just a rip off.
franchifowler
hunter

Postby mjcraig15 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:18 pm

You don't need to register if you aren't putting a motor on it.
mjcraig15
hunter

Postby Dullknife » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Used an unregistered jon boat at plenty of CA's and have been stopped for everything but it being unregistered. Not to mention the trailer is usually unlicensed as well. Unless you think your gonna run into water patrol I wouldnt bother.
Dullknife
hunter

Postby mcdux » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:12 pm

I have a friend here in KC who may be selling his if you're interested....My guess is he's gonna want at least $1,000. Comes with 3/4 blind doors, homemade dog door, and it's grassed up. Also comes with a homemade lid....
mcdux
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:14 pm

I have two boats. one I bought and one I built.... neither are registered, nor do they need to be because I only use a trolling motor with them.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Postby franchifowler » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:50 am

I ran a longtail mud motor on one of mine. still never got asked for registration or numbers on a CA when I've been checked.
franchifowler
hunter

Postby BigMuddy » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:47 am

I thought if you only used them on "Unnavigable Water" --meaning water that isnt there year around ,flooded water , that you didn't have to have them registered ? Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it ! --- :tongue:
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby JAKE22STL » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:43 pm

I use a otter stealth 2000 with a trolling motor (unregistered) and have never had an issue.
JAKE22STL
hunter

Postby Mark F. Cheney » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:24 pm

In my state, Utah, They have to be registered if they have a gas motor on them. The process seems to be more interested in collecting the taxes than securing and protecting title. I have 3 different registered boats and have never been checked for registration by the locals, just to see if I had the required saftey lights, equipment etc.

Mark F. Cheney
utahmarshmotors.com on the Great Salt Lake marsh

801 721 3293
Mark F. Cheney
DHC Sponsor

Postby KTJones » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:32 pm

I found one on craigs list. This very nice lady whos husband bought it new a few years ago used it 3 times and passed away sold it to me at a very very reasonable price that included the boat all grassed up, BAR seat, a bunch of duck decoys(both floaters and field) and some goose decoys among other things. Very sweet lady whos husband was new to and really passionate about our sport. I hope i can do this rig justice. Its a migrator, a little shorter than i wanted but for the price i had to get it.my 9hp robin long tail is a little too big for itnot sure what to do with. Thinking about putting it on my jon boat but not sure yet.
KTJones
hunter

Postby dashboard » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:30 pm

I have two Four Rivers I would sell. Both are titled. I have ran one without tags and never been questioned but I just run a trolling motor on mine. The motor should be your problem. I think the law reads any power propelled boat must be tagged. Power propelled meaning any motor or sail.
dashboard
hunter

Postby kicknaoutdoors » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:04 pm

just pop the serial numbers off sand it down and put some fiberglass patches over some of the wear areas and then paint it up to look like new and take some photos of it and then go and file for a home built title on the boat and get it registered that way. simple problem solved.
kicknaoutdoors
Newb

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:11 pm

dashboard wrote:I have two Four Rivers I would sell. Both are titled. I have ran one without tags and never been questioned but I just run a trolling motor on mine. The motor should be your problem. I think the law reads any power propelled boat must be tagged. Power propelled meaning any motor or sail.

read again, there is a clause that excludes electric motors.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting