Spoonies

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

Spoonies

Postby talltimber » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:46 am

I try to kill two scraps every time I go. Anything that's not a mallard is a trash duck. Except a wood duck. And teal. And gadwall. And black duck. And pintail.
Shovelers have saved the hunt for my dog numerous times, so i won't run him down the road. Wigeon and divers taste funny, but they're a duck, and its duck season. Retriever gotta retrieve.
I eat all the ducks I bring home, barring some freezer burn or some such problem.
I've never caught anyone doing it, but if I saw someone throwing ducks on the ditch I think I would turn them in. And that's saying something, because I like to mind my own business, and I like other people who do the same. Tossing ducks will get a dime dropped on you around me.
With that said, piling snow geese in a corner somewhere to shoot coyotes off of doesn't seem to bother me. Does that make me hypocritical? I'm not sure. (Sorry for the tangent OP)
talltimber
hunter

Re: Spoonies

Postby franchifowler » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:44 am

banded drake shoveler! now your just showing off!

where is the fun in the "going home" risk if I switch to farm ponds Cline? i wouldn't know what to do with myself if I could actually hunt every time i wake up a 2 instead of just drive back and forth before the sun comes up!
franchifowler
hunter

Postby JAKE22STL » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:55 am

A shoveler in the smoker comes out pretty good.
JAKE22STL
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:46 pm

where i hunt, we call shoves "hollywoods" b/c they always be smiling!

:yes:

very pretty bird in full plume.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby ilovecheese » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:04 am

Speaking of spoonies, man I've seen a ton of them this year! I used to pass on them because although they tasted decent, they weren't a mallard, woodie, or teal and certainly didn't taste like them. But now I'll smash a bootlip any day of the well and turn him into jerky. Turns out pretty good. You'd never know you were eating spoonies.
ilovecheese
Newb

Previous

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting