Changes for warm weather

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

Changes for warm weather

Postby MOdnj » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:32 am

Looking at low 60's and cloudy with strong south winds tomorrow, less than optimal. Never had much luck in these conditions but like everyone else I get out when I can.

What kind of changes do you make in setting up decoys, calling, motion, etc? I know camo & not moving become more critical as you don't have shadows to help conceal you. Just curious what others have found to work......

Thank you!
MOdnj
hunter

Re: Changes for warm weather

Postby Cliner » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:39 am

MOdnj wrote:Looking at low 60's and cloudy with strong south winds tomorrow, less than optimal. Never had much luck in these conditions but like everyone else I get out when I can.

What kind of changes do you make in setting up decoys, calling, motion, etc? I know camo & not moving become more critical as you don't have shadows to help conceal you. Just curious what others have found to work......

Thank you!

On wednesday, we hunted out of a blind that faced south with a strong south wind. Way less than ideal conditions. We ended up setting up the decoys for more of an SSW or SW wind to force the ducks to swing from the side instead of trying to set up from behind us. Put a lot of decoys on the side and a lot in front to try to direct them there. Worked out really well, took a lot of convincing on the calls to get them to do it right in some cases. We call pretty hard no matter where we are, whether that be good or bad, who knows but it usually works out for us.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby oktakem » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:43 pm

We try moving our decoys to the edges and put out 3 or 4 mojos near the edges like they are landing there. Literally decoys go in the flooded woods. Use about 1 dozen full body mallards too. Put a dozen or so of our best looking blocks right out front in the middle of the slough on a jerk string or two. We like to call a lot too. Works for us for the most part. We try to do things differently than those around us. Sometimes it works others not so much.
Pass along your love for the outdoors, like someone did for you, and enjoy it with your children. They are our greatest gift from God!
oktakem
hunter

Postby MOdnj » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Ended up drawing a single digit pill and picked a blind facing north, so it ended up being a non-issue. Wind was atrocious, chased decoys several times that escaped their tethers. That much wind made for some very lively looking decoys, that is for sure.

I remembered why I don’t like a wind right over my back though, feels like the ducks are looking through you even with extra camo on the blind, facemasks and gloves. I have better luck finishing them in a crossing wind it seems.

Thank you for the advice Cliner and oktakem, I appreciate it. Always something you can learn on here.....
MOdnj
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting