Duck Hunting Forum banner

Hunting at Otter Slough

8K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  talltimber 
#1 ·
Hey guys, got a QD for OS. Just wondering, if you had your pick, where would you hunt? (Yes, I'm internet scouting)

#16 ·
mjcraig15 said:
Look at the kill charts when you get there. They pretty much tell the story.
not always... just the other day I saw at a local duck park where 3 guys shot limits out of one hole, next day 4 guys killed a total of 6 birds, then the day after that limits for a party of 4. A lot of it comes down to the guys hunting the pool.

not saying the kill charts arent right, but they dont always tell how good or bad the hunting is in a specific pool.

#17 ·
2500hdon37s said:
mjcraig15 said:
not always... just the other day I saw at a local duck park where 3 guys shot limits out of one hole, next day 4 guys killed a total of 6 birds, then the day after that limits for a party of 4. A lot of it comes down to the guys hunting the pool.

not saying the kill charts arent right, but they dont always tell how good or bad the hunting is in a specific pool.
I'm convinced that on a place like Grand Pass, OS, TMP, etc. there are X's on all the fields. In any given blind, field, etc one could go out and kill a respectable amount of ducks. Just got to hunt it right. People joke about some spots I've killed plenty of ducks in before...

#18 ·
BigAL64 said:
migratestopper said:
I just got pill 1 any ideas on first picks please help new to otter slough
That's a real simple one. Go to the kill board and pick the blind or field that has limited out the most and pick it. Or PM 870 or tolonggone I am sure they would love to tag along and be your guide!!!! :hi:
It helps to know the area. But hey I don't hunt there, I just go to the draw and pull the high numbers out of the box for the rest of the poor line. :crying:
But seriously, if it's not for Friday, it's gonna be a tough way. This storm moving in is gonna change the kill board along with the kill average overnight, just sayin.

#20 ·
2500hdon37s said:
mjcraig15 said:

That's true, but this late in the season you can see trends. One still has to know what they are doing, but you can get a good idea. It is good to know the area. I know where to setup in certain pools because I have hunted them many times, but the kill chart will give a guy with no experience a good starting point. Then it will be up to him to setup and adjust to how the birds are using the pool they selected. Just be prepared to adjust and move within your pool. It will take experience to know which pools to be in based on the wind conditions and etc....

#21 ·
mjcraig15 said:
That's true, but this late in the season you can see trends. One still has to know what they are doing, but you can get a good idea. It is good to know the area. I know where to setup in certain pools because I have hunted them many times, but the kill chart will give a guy with no experience a good starting point. Then it will be up to him to setup and adjust to how the birds are using the pool they selected. Just be prepared to adjust and move within your pool. It will take experience to know which pools to be in based on the wind conditions and etc....
Mark is giving great advice here. One of the key words being "trends". The kill charts will tell you a lot but you can't count on them for telling the whole story all the time. You have to remember, the kill charts are filled out by the info turned in on the green cards by duck hunters. This may come as a shock to some but a whole bunch of the duck hunters I know have a tendency to strecth the truth. Some just flat out lie. On the kill charts these fibs work in both directions. Some hunters that kill nothing turn in limits, and people that kill limits turn in low numbers.

#22 ·
870shooter said:
mjcraig15 said:
Mark is giving great advice here. One of the key words being "trends". The kill charts will tell you a lot but you can't count on them for telling the whole story all the time. You have to remember, the kill charts are filled out by the info turned in on the green cards by duck hunters. This may come as a shock to some but a whole bunch of the duck hunters I know have a tendency to strecth the truth. Some just flat out lie. On the kill charts these fibs work in both directions. Some hunters that kill nothing turn in limits, and people that kill limits turn in low numbers.
NO!!! Say it aint so!!!! No duck hunter would ever lie!!! :wink:

#23 ·
I would but only to my wife ,and NEVER,NEVER about hunting.If I hunt os or any other duck park ,the first thing I do is check the kill sheets.2)Then I start chat with guys that I've seen there before.I DON'T ask direct questions about the exact spot they hunted.Just if they been doing any good.Then I feed them some info If i have been there a few times .Before long we are helping each other out with the good solid info about what pools weve been hunting .That is what I do But I never lie either so there you go. :thumbsup:

#24 ·
swampcrawler said:
I would but only to my wife ,and NEVER,NEVER about hunting.If I hunt os or any other duck park ,the first thing I do is check the kill sheets.2)Then I start chat with guys that I've seen there before.I DON'T ask direct questions about the exact spot they hunted.Just if they been doing any good.Then I feed them some info If i have been there a few times .Before long we are helping each other out with the good solid info about what pools weve been hunting .That is what I do But I never lie either so there you go. :thumbsup:
OHH BROTHER!!!!!!! :no: :no: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
swampcrawler said:
puke.gif

Just kiddin Pat, I believe you :yes:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.