Miss River Hunting

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, 870shooter, KCDuckMaster, SPatrick

Miss River Hunting

Postby SMcGarrity » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Anyone having any luck on the river? Alton pool or upper Miss areas around Winfield, etc?

Not too many ducks around the STL area that I am aware of and our place in the bottoms off 79 has been stale. Birds move back and forth from Dardenne to Quivre Club - you can almost set your watch to it.

Just wondering if anyone has been banging anything on the river. We haven't heard too much action where we are and haven't heard much shooting coming from the river.
SMcGarrity
hunter

Re: Miss River Hunting

Postby goosetalk » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:11 pm

The river is mostly frozen, or boat ramps are iced up and impossible to launch. There may be a few getting out, but I doubt it, at least above the dams.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Buddy i hunt with said the river was full of ice this weekend in Alton. I would imagine a lot is flowing down from up North...Missouri has lost a lot of birds the past couple of weeks...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby Deadeye » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:18 am

In pool 24 there was a truck and a boat in the river last week,becareful on the ramps.
Jig is my green headed corn grinder finder.
Deadeye
hunter

Postby Cut'm » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:21 am

Have not seen the Mississippi, but the MO River in Central MO is almost froze solid. I cross the MO River in Chesterfield every day and it's been open, until this morning, there were ice chunks floating down river.....wouldnt' catch this white boy out there.
Cut'm
hunter

Postby matt9966 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:37 am

Right now the only part of the MS River open around Alton is the barge lane. I have seen a few people out in some of the Dresser blinds but have not heard many shots. Not helpful but along the MS I saw a huge migrating flock (1000 +) last week before the snow came. The greenheads landed on the ice at a sanctuary stayed for five minutes then left. Like it was already mentioned - most of the ramps are iced in

If you go please be careful
matt9966
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:32 pm

Just aren't any ducks around...trying to get down to Arkansas to do some shooting. Or start trying to shoot chin straps.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby jolle77 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:11 pm

I looked at the river at the end of Hwy C in St. Peters this afternoon and it was wide open. May get out there this weekend.
jolle77
Newb

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting