Greenheads

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: 870shooter, birddog crazy, SPatrick

Greenheads

Postby sehunter1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:49 am

Has anyone else noticed an surprisingly high drake to hen ratio? Maybe it's just me but it seems like I've hardly pulled my gun on a hen most of the year. We try to shoot more drakes than hens but we don't target them exclusively and if a single hen comes in our spread she usually doesn't get out. I'm not complaining but this is the first time I've noticed it. I've hunted hard since middle zone opened and haven't shot at a hen in a month. Lots of drakes though.
sehunter1
hunter

Re: Greenheads

Postby MOduckMOfun » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:52 am

I've noticed this as well, was wondering if anyone was feeling the same way.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Postby CutEmUp89 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:55 am

I also have noticed this....
Phillip Price

Fowl Obession Duck & Goose Calls Staff

Kill em' with their feet down, and wings cupped!

"I guess no one knows about Mo Booter?"
CutEmUp89
hunter

Postby fireman1293 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Me too. Almost about a 4:1
fireman1293
hunter

Postby NEAduck » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:10 pm

We are experiencing the exact opposite over here in Ark. We've had groups of 20 with only 2 drakes in them
NEAduck
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:02 pm

NEAduck wrote:We are experiencing the exact opposite over here in Ark. We've had groups of 20 with only 2 drakes in them

ha ha thats cause they are up here! lol. no actually, only killed maybe 3 or 4 mallards TOTAl! havent hardly seen any, been at the slough, DC, TMP, i have limited out a lot too, but just hardly any mallards in general, lots and LOTS of gadwalls, greenwings, woodies, pintails, and shovelers. a few widgeon too. and a ton of ring necks lol
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby NEAduck » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:28 pm

CUT'EM ALL JACK wrote:
NEAduck wrote:We are experiencing the exact opposite over here in Ark. We've had groups of 20 with only 2 drakes in them

ha ha thats cause they are up here! lol. no actually, only killed maybe 3 or 4 mallards TOTAl! havent hardly seen any, been at the slough, DC, TMP, i have limited out a lot too, but just hardly any mallards in general, lots and LOTS of gadwalls, greenwings, woodies, pintails, and shovelers. a few widgeon too. and a ton of ring necks lol

We have killed mostly all mallards. Killed our first spoony of the year today and have some gadwalls. Its been a weird duck year so far in the fact that we usually kill a lot of greenwing teal, but haven't shot one.
NEAduck
hunter

Postby SMcGarrity » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:34 pm

I agree on the green wings. I haven't shot 1 yet. Weird year and most of the ducks are gone.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
SMcGarrity
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:31 pm

fireman1293 wrote:Me too. Almost about a 4:1

That's what we are seeing. Yesterday we had 9 come into a friends pit. We cleared the flock and they were all green but 1. Odd year indeed.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby NEAduck » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:15 pm

That huge winter storm was a catch 22. It made the hunting amazing for us around here for 3 days or so and haven't had much luck since then. Weirdest part of our season is we are getting big groups to commit and get on the water. First time in years this has happened.
NEAduck
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting