Drawing procedures

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

Drawing procedures

Postby satguy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:18 am

I hunted Ten Mile Pond last Thursday with my son for the first time. While at the morning draw I witnessed several things that made me upset. The persons running the draw allowed 1 person to go up with 4 cards and license and pull 4 pills from the box. This happened 4 times at this draw. There were 19 parties at the draw. If the rule is every man in the party of 4 pull a pill that's way it should be, each man pulling their own pill. Anything else is fraud as there was no other people with these guys that I saw. I called Jeff City yesterday and filed a complaint. I also witnessed no less than 5 other people at the draw who were intoxicated.
Those of us who duck hunt ethically should not be faced with this kind of behavior from fellow hunters and MDC personell. :fingerpt:
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter

Re: Drawing procedures

Postby sehunter1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 am

I got no problem with one person pulling all pills for a group of four. As long as all four are there when you pick spots I see nothing wrong. However there is some funny business with the draw at tmp. I have seen more than once a guy in street clothes behind the desk messing with pills before the draw. I got pretty hot under the collar about it and my hunting buddies yanked me out before my filter came off. I hear he pulled #2 that day...I can't say that I saw it happen though.
sehunter1
hunter

Postby satguy » Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:24 pm

The problem is I did not see the people in their parties. They should stand next to the guy doing the draw and walk away with them. I also saw a 3rd person behind the counter in street clothes when I was there. My first time at TMP so I do not know who he was. They need a DWI checkpoint in their parking lot.
Phowler Extreme 1856
Prodrive 36hp
Avery Quickset blind

If it ain't broke don't fix it
satguy
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:32 pm

Well season has been closed in 2/3rd of the state for 20-25 days now......... Time to start this conversation all over again until about August!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:11 pm

I think you did the right thing to complain to Jeff City!! Def. some good ole boy favoritism going on down there. :mad:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby QakQak » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:39 pm

I have been to TMP several times over the past several years. It has been historically the worst run of the duck parks; from previous managers running like their own duck club, holding fields out of draw until a buddies pick, mysterious pills getting pulled by manage buddies etc.

This season, as always there is the MAFIA, of the good ole boy crew that hovers around the counter like they own the place. That does not help the conspiracy theorists. This year, I can say I have no complaints- although it does seem some of those kids are much luckier than others, but that's luck.

As far as 1 guy pulling 4 pills, they encourage that; it speeds the process! I recall few years ago the lines were horrendous when everyone pulls their own pill. When u pick your spot, everyone goes to the counter-- it's a non-issue.

The bigger issue is the one you a 100% correct on-- DWI CHECKPOINT!!!! Numerous people reek of alcohol"

The other issue, is the fibbing that knowingly goes on in regards to harvest. Wish folks could at least be honest,

As well as know your legal shooting times!! Last 2 times I was there, parties shot 5-6 minutes after LST.

This is a good place to hunt, but the questionable previous managers ethics, thefts, and drunks make it unbearable at times.

I'll keep going there as an option, I do things the right way, I'll simply choose to mind my own business, follow e rules, and politely decline anyone wanting to combine parties.
QakQak
hunter

Postby arisekillandeat » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:48 pm

I hunt TMP ten plus times a year and will agree that things are a little different down there but as far as cheating goes I would say it is pretty minimal and I fully believe the workers aren't doing anything wrong.

They actually ask parties to send one person to draw. This greatly speeds up the process. Also in the speech they say that they need to see your whole party when you pick your spot and if your entire party doesn't show you forfeit your chance to hunt. Although I hate taking the whole blame for my group not getting to hunt it sure is nice to have the draw take as little time as possible.

As for the workers being up to funny business. I've been there between 3-4 times a week for the last few weeks and I can attest to the fact that if they are cheating they are doing a bad job of it. More times than not they draw high. Sure, just like anyone else, occasionally they draw well but they certainly aren't cheating.

I think we have to remember this area is largely forgotten about until the rest of the state closes so the people who hunt here all season get to know each other well.

If you called to complain about the drunks I think that is great (although I've seen this at every conservation area I have ever hunted). But if you complained about the draw and the guys running it I'm sorry to hear than and disagree with you.
arisekillandeat
hunter

Postby Rory » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:05 pm

Finally, someone who actually knows what they're talking about. Been watching and waiting for it on this thread.
Rory
hunter

Postby sehunter1 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:46 pm

Look I'm not about to come out and say I saw someone cheat the draw. What I did see was someone that did not look like they worked there (dressed in camo and no mdc logo on anything) walk behind the counter and pick up some pills. Saw him put them down too. Maybe he worked there and was off that day, I don't know. However to reduce the chance of anything happening only two people (the workers) should have their hands on the pills or box pre-draw. I hunt tmp quite a bit after middle zone closes. And I draw well there most times. I like the new guys a lot more than the old manager and I think they do a pretty good job running the place. The good old boy network or whatever ain't bad either, I talk to them a lot, pretty nice guys. I usually draw all pills for our group too. Only issue I have is questionable hands on pills before draw and the drunks. There isn't one single reason on earth I can think of that a hunter would need to touch the pills pre-draw. My 2 cents...
sehunter1
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:53 pm

welcome to hunting public draw in land.

I'd much rather have 1 person from a party go draw for their party, keeps the crowing at the box down and draw moves MUCH quicker. you should thank the guys going up and drawing alone for a party of multiple persons. its set up to where if not all of the members show up during the spot allocation they forfeit their spot, so whats the hoopla about?

As for the drunken peoples there its most likely just some jerk offs that stayed up all night partying and come to hunt. While its not right to do so nor should they have a weapon in their possession or be driving they're taking the risk of going to jail. let them play with fire.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby QakQak » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:23 pm

What REALLY hacks me off is the lack of knowledge of the area. I know they answer questions about hunting units when u pick your spot; BUT if u are going to HIGHLIGHT which units are pumping with water, at least have the pumps ON!!!!
Mis-information is worse than no information. Thx TMP management tiday!!
QakQak
hunter

Postby 2Longgone » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:41 pm

Haven't hunted there in years. But TMP always seemed to draw a rough crowd though. It's one thing to be hungover alittle, but I too have seen some that must have been drinking on the trip in. A few agent visits with some stiff tickets could help solve that problem.
EMD was the states idea. Let them deal with the crowd or go back to single man draw.
Well this will be the last weekend for all of that until next year anyways.

With this latest cold front, the hunters may very well out number the ducks.
2Longgone
hunter

Postby Mudduck77 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:39 pm

The two times I was there this year there was agents there and one was a federal agent
Mudduck77
hunter

Postby gride830 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:07 pm

I know guys that go to draws in missouri and drink before, during and after hunting. I don't agree with it but it does happen. People are off work and school.....away from kids and wives and ready to relax a little. Pot smokers are almost as frequent as drunks. But it's not mdc's problem, simply PUBLIC hunting at its finest. I mean How many 15-16 year olds do you see using chew(dipping) at these draws if you want to get technical on breaking laws. Get caught and its a hefty ticket but with agents spread thin, it'll almost never happen. One federal agent I talked to is part of a three man crew(fish and wildlife) and patrols Mississippi River valley from Illinois, Iowa and missouri.

I've public hunted a lot in Illinois and trust me nothing can be worse than trying to draw at those places....I've only been to places in the south and south central. The less the workers get paid it seems as the worse the draw rules are followed. Missouri is doing a good job compared to what I've heard out of Arkansas and been witness to many years in Illinois. I could of taped the draws at pyramid state park 3 years back to back and you would watch the worker wait til the ball with his buddies number approached the chute, slow down and speed up the rotation of the barrel(which he could see into like a bingo ball barrel) until it came out.

Cheating the draw is more common than you think. There are tricks to everything. One trick: Pills in the box stay where they were put as long as you don't shake it up and down. Throw low pills in a specific corner and only move the box left, right, forward and back.....the pills don't move positions unless they are shaken up and down....put your hand in the LOW pill corner and bam! I've seen it. Been told how it works by someone who visits public hunting 5 days a week.

It's not perfect but look and how much it cost to own and run your own piece of duck paradise.
gride830
hunter

Drawing procedures

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:01 pm

Don't go then! Problem solved!

The guy in camo could have very well been an employee helping out in a rush, that was intending on hunting that day.
As far as that goes, I think the employees should have a free go at them for putting up with the gomers all year. Pick a spot and take off, take it out of the draw.
talltimber
hunter

Postby 870shooter » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:33 pm

talltimber wrote: I think the employees should have a free go at them for putting up with the gomers all year. Pick a spot and take off, take it out of the draw.

Exactly what the rumor is that the former manager of TMP used to do. There are several rumors as to the exact reason he was terminated, none ever verified by the MDC or any of thier employees. Everyone very tight lipped about it.
Budweiser ProStaff
Team Biscuits and Gravy (no better team exists!)
Victorias Secrets Catalog Model Recruiter
870shooter
State Moderator

Drawing procedures

Postby talltimber » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:45 pm

Rob, I assume? He was a prick anyway, imo. Didn't have any business dealing with the public. Same as tommy.
I think Rob was lost after Barry left this area. Barry was the man.
talltimber
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting