Missouri Hunters

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Postby hucklburry » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:58 am

I found this site a few days ago.

I live in St. Charles, married with a new baby girl who is just too small to go duck hunting just yet (she's 14 pounds), but she is working on her duck calling as I type. :)

This fall I plan on trying Mark Twain lake for duck hunting out of my 14' v-hull. I have done some hunting down by treloar on the missouri.

I have a 3 year old black lab, my wife and I trained her with a group and ran hunt tests, she has a junior hunter title. It was a lot of fun and the wife really got into it.

I shot an 870, my friend just camo'ed it out for me. I would love a semiauto but with the new family addition I will just stick with what works.

Hope everyone has a great season!

--Jim
hucklburry
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:32 pm

Wow there are actually hunters on this side of the state.

Welcome aboard hucklburry. Glad to have a new addition to the sight and the state forum!

Do you do any training out at Busch? Just wondering, because if you do, I've probably seen ya out there. I'm there about 3-4 days a week.

Congrats on the new addition too. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby jrnsuz » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:07 pm

hi ya'll. i'm J.R. from Lexington, about 40 m east of KC. 2 kids 2 stepkids 1 wife 1 brittany who points like a champ but thinks she's to good to retrieve. they all hunt something and we do a lot of shooting with 4-H and USA Shooting. we hunt public land mostly in Lafayette and Ray counties but keep threataning to go to kansas for pheasant. i'm just getting into waterfowl, been out for geese once( didn't get any ), but seem to be getting obsessed with it.

always was a rifleman when i was younger, but enjoy shotgunning since my wife turned me on to it.
A bad day hunting is better than a good day doing anything else... well, almost.
jrnsuz
Newb

Postby JPgreenhead » Thu Oct 20, 2005 8:42 pm

im jordan im a freshman in highschool i shoot and 870 supermag and i live to hunt ducks and geese and just about everything else
JPgreenhead
hunter

Postby mrsduck » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:32 pm

Hi I am new here. Have duck hunted all my life. Live in Northern mo. and hunt ducks on our property by swan lake. Our kids are going on the youth hunt in the morning. Tonight I drove up there and there was 2-3000 birds using are farm so they are pumped.
mrsduck
Newb

Postby KCDuckMaster » Sun Oct 23, 2005 3:49 pm

Glad to have you here! You'll find this site pretty helpful and fun.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:24 pm

Hope they did well on the youth hunt and we're always glad to have another member. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby mrsduck » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:04 pm

Just a late note that the kids did great during the youth hunt. my son who is 10 killed his limit both days as did his 13 y/o cousin. My 13 y/o daughter killed 5 each day and their 8 y/0 cousin who was hunting for the first time got 2 each day. so 19 each day = 38 for the weekend not bad. My hubby said 4 adults would have had their limit by 8:00.

The weekend started the regular season and on Saturday 6 hunters got 12 and sunday the same 6 got 18. Monday 5 hunters got 30(limit) and today 3 hunters got 15. Need a change in the weather and some mallards.
mrsduck
Newb

Postby gsphunter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:22 pm

Awesome report! It's so good that we have those youth seasons I think.

I hear ya about the weather too. I'm going to be watching the skies on Friday. Maybe a duck will show up while I'm sitting in the sun getting a tan in the boat blind.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:23 pm

I almost forgot mrsducks, it is customary on this board for some invitations to go out from new members. Especially new members with reports like the one you just gave. :yes:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby goose5657 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:20 pm

Hey Brain,
A little secret, duck hunting is great on your side of the state. One of MO best kept secrets. The landowners are frinedly and the cost is free or very cheap.
goose
:thumbsup:
maitre de canard
goose5657
Newb

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:00 pm

Come on now, dont give those St. Louis people to much credit. Otherwise they start to get big heads!!! :salude:
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby DuckSlayer10 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:12 pm

Well let me introduce myself. I am Will and I am from O'Fallon, Illinois.(about 15 min east of St. Louis) I am currently going to Murray State University and playing baseball. I have hunted all my life and love it. I have been fortunate enough to hunt with a few people in this forum and have enjoyed my times with them greatly. I deer hunt in Kentucky and do the majority of my waterfowl hunting in Missouri. I mainly hunt public land like Ted Shanks, Ten Mile Pond and Duck Creek. Wouldn't mind going to Grand Pass if I knew I could draw in. Coming up this weekend to hunt my reservation at Ted. If any of you all are going to be up there on Saturday or Sunday let me know.
If it flies, It dies!
DuckSlayer10
Newb

Postby JPgreenhead » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:26 am

hey this is Jordan im from Clinton, Missouri and i have only been hunting for a few years.
JPgreenhead
hunter

Postby JDW127 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:52 pm

Hi, my name is Jeff. I'm from Eureka, MO and this is my first real season duck hunting. It sure is addictive once you see a group of mallards dropping into your decoys. I use a Benelli Nova 12 ga, 28 inch barrel.
JDW127
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:04 pm

Glad to have you guys here! The more the better :smile:
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:13 pm

Glad to have you aboard at DHC. :thumbsup:

It is definitely addicting. I've only been at it for about 3 years now and it's a passion now. It took over #1 for me as far as hunting.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Keith » Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:36 am

hey my name is keith and am from st. charles. this is my first season of duck hunting and i shoot an 870.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make damn sure the other bastard dies for his."
-- George S. Patton, Jr.
Keith
hunter

Postby wilhelmina slim » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:03 pm

I do not live up in your part of the state. I live in the Bootheel, waterfowl hunted for over 45 years. Retired school teacher now full time duck hunter. Hunt mainly black river from PB to ARK.
wilhelmina slim
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:33 pm

Welcome aboard!
:welcome:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:51 pm

My name is Scott and I'm from Old Monroe, near Troy. Hunting and fishing are my life. I love waterfowl. I have a special talent for goose hunting. I can make perfect goose vocabulary with my own voice. When the geese are cupped I can talk them right into the spread. I have called against Tim and Hunter Grounds and the Avery team.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:33 pm

:welcome:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:42 am

Glad to have another Missouri hunter.

How'd your season go for you this year?
gsphunter
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:07 pm

My season wasn't the greatest. However, my hunt'n was cut down cause i am in college and play on the basketball team. My dad had some good hunts without me so there is meat in the freezer.
goosetalk
hunter

Hi, new to the forums

Postby Mike & Joe » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:54 pm

HuntMQ1 wrote:Brad McDaniel, 34 years old, married, 1 son and 5 dogs and I graduated from MSSU in Joplin in 1999 with a degree in Criminal Law, also attended the LE academy at MSSU. I've either been in the miltary or law enforcement my entire adult life. Spent 10 years in the Marine Corps, enlisted my junior year of high school,SSGT. 1988-1998. Been ALL over the world and have lost friends in some really sh**ty places. I've hunted and fished my entire life, very comfortable snoopin and poopin in the woods and just really got into waterfowl about four years ago. It's one of those sports that if someone doesn't show you what to do, it's hard to get into to. A cop buddy of mine introduced me to it. He's now serving in Iraq, so pray for him, I would appreciate it.
So we have a LION, a Mule.. :laughing: and a soon to be Griffin :laughing: on here.

Hi. I am Mike Davis and I am the "cop buddy" that Brad was referring to. I have been home from Iraq since 19 Jan 06 and I appreciate the prayers Brad and GSP. I started waterfowl the same year I started hunting with Brad. Didn't really get good at it before I got deployed. But, Brad tells me that he made some new contacts while I was gone and learned a lot. I look forward to learning from his experience in the '06 season.

Anyway, I have been reading this forum for two days now (since Brad told me about it) and it sounds like a great bunch of guys here, especially in the hunting dog forum. I hope to pick a lot of brains there and use many good tips. I bought a Lab puppy on 29 Jan and hope to have him going by the '06 season, he will be a about a year old then. (Is that realistic or should I plan for later?) See, I am starting already.
C'ya L8r,

Mike
Mike & Joe
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting