SEMO Snow Goose migration

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, SPatrick, 870shooter

SEMO Snow Goose migration

Postby KingCoal1 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Hey guys, anybody seen or heard anything about snow goose numbers in SEMO lately? Heading down there to hunt in a few weeks..
KingCoal1
hunter

Re: SEMO Snow Goose migration

Postby i_willie12 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:39 am

post #1.. internet scouting :no: :no: Good grief :rolleyes:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby KingCoal1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 am

Just thought I'd ask. Thanks for the response willi...
KingCoal1
hunter

Postby goosetalk » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:39 am

Should be good in a few weeks if the weather starts a warmer pattern. Haven't heard many reports, but you have to figure with the weather that all of those frustrating old adults are hanging on the snow line.
goosetalk
hunter

Postby wanapasaki » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:44 am

I imagine you could google some guides in the area. I'm sure they have a good idea where the geese are :lol3:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby KingCoal1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:09 am

Thanks goosetalk
KingCoal1
hunter

Postby 2Longgone » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:11 pm

As of 2/12 snow goose hunting in semo has been non existent. Only a few birds around, sitting on refuges. Past three weeks temps have not been above freezing with 3 to six inch snow cover and 1/2 inch ice underneath. As of today there is some thawing but still alot of snow cover in the fields.Haven't been much farther south than NE AR in this time period and did not see many birds there either. I have seen more geese in TN than I have in several years and am hoping all this cold and snow cover doesn't change thier flight pattern coming back.
The next week to 10 days will be interesting to see if they are going to come back through our area. Been about 30 years since we've had a winter like this, not sure what it will do to the goose pattern.
Still plenty of time left, but right now the geese are not here.
2Longgone
hunter

Postby KingCoal1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:46 am

Great report, thanks
KingCoal1
hunter

Postby semomudhen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Was out and about this morning and there were thousands of them in the air and on the ground in Semo. Along with them were just as many many ducks so if you put a sneak on a flock you better be careful. The warm-up this week and the strong south winds will have them moving. On the downside the mud is absolutely horrible right now with the thaw.
semomudhen
hunter

Postby matt9966 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:42 pm

Awesome waterfowl flight day today! 20K Snows along with 10K Canadas in Columbia (estimations but I would suspect that its close). I believe it would be safe to say that those numbers would be magnified a few times (at least) the farther south you go
matt9966
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting