Can anyone school me on trout fishing the Branson area?

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: birddog crazy, 870shooter, KCDuckMaster, SPatrick

Can anyone school me on trout fishing the Branson area?

Postby MinnesotaDan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:44 pm

Looks like I'm getting dragged along to a vacation to ole Christian Vegas but what I'm really concerned about is the trout fishing because I'd never go on a vacation that didn't involve fishing or hunting. I've heard its really good but I don't know much about anything in the area.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Re: Can anyone school me on trout fishing the Branson area?

Postby Cliner » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:25 pm

Lake Tanneycomo is in Branson. Great little trout fishing area. I recommend using a small baby brown trout crank bait. Can't remember the name, but there is a boat rental place near the bass pro. Rent a bass boat and just hang out on the water all day. You'll have a good time down there, lots of fun stuff to do.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:36 am

I just got a fly fishing rig for christmas so I'm really excited to try that out, but I'm gonna bring my spinning rig down there just in case I really can't figure out, which there is a really good chance I can't. But thanks alot for the tips!
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:19 pm

For fly fishing I use a double drop rig with gray and tan skuds. I fish the outlets of the hatchery. Taney is a great fishery with 100 fish days not unheard of if you know what you are doing.
BigAL64
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:19 am

MinnesotaDan wrote:Looks like I'm getting dragged along to a vacation to ole Christian Vegas

:lol: :lol: Christian vegas!! Never heard it called that! I like it :thumbsup:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby MOduckMOfun » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 am

BigAL64 wrote:Taney is a great fishery with 100 fish days not unheard of if you know what you are doing.

Wow. I need to go fishing with you.

Most I've caught at Taney in a day is 6. It's a good lake though, don't get me wrong.
MOduckMOfun
hunter

Postby sjndknichols » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:33 pm

what he said the double drop rig is the way to go sometimes i like the scud on the bottom and a zebra midge on top, or you can put a glo ball or something and use it as an indicator.
sjndknichols
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:51 pm

MOduckMOfun wrote:
BigAL64 wrote:Taney is a great fishery with 100 fish days not unheard of if you know what you are doing.

Wow. I need to go fishing with you.

Most I've caught at Taney in a day is 6. It's a good lake though, don't get me wrong.

6 would have been a good day before I learned a few tips from some of the locals. Now I average 10- 15 fish an hr. I only fish early in the mornings for about 4 hours before the family gets up and wants to do something. Afternoons are generally better than mornings. A friend of mine fishes in the afternoons and always catches more fish than I do per trip.
BigAL64
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:31 am

Go down below the dam at Table Rock. Lots of big fish around the hatchery
duckman27
hunter

Postby cride1 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:00 pm

I was just there this weekend for a yearly fishing tournament. If you are looking to use your fly rod you will most likely want to be up in the trophy area which is from the big dam down to fall creek. I have never fished up there before, but from what I understand, there is some great fishing. We always drift fish using leaders that you can buy from any bait shop down there. We use 4lb test with a snap swivel tied to the end. The leader will have a loop in it to attach to the snap swivel. If the water is running you just cast out and let the weight drag the bottom and wait for the bite. We typically fish from the island just upstream from the train bridge down to the Bass Pro with the best luck at the island and around the bridges. We have never caught anything really big, but we typically catch 6 to 10 per hour. The boat rental place that one of the previous posters was referring to is Scotty's Trout Dock. It is located just upstream from the bridges. Good luck!
cride1
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:37 am

Thanks for the advice everyone.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby TomKat » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:07 am

i_willie12 wrote:
MinnesotaDan wrote:Looks like I'm getting dragged along to a vacation to ole Christian Vegas

:lol: :lol: Christian vegas!! Never heard it called that! I like it :thumbsup:

I have. I hope I never go back.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:56 am

I grew up in springfield And people were always like oh i bet you went to branson all the time... We just love going down there.. Wheres you favorite place to go... I just looked at them and say the only place ive gone to more than once in branson was branson HS to play ball against them and that was enough of that f*cking place!!! They just look at me like WHAT...
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:03 am

i_willie12 wrote:I grew up in springfield And people were always like oh i bet you went to branson all the time... We just love going down there.. Wheres you favorite place to go... I just looked at them and say the only place ive gone to more than once in branson was branson HS to play ball against them and that was enough of that f*cking place!!! They just look at me like WHAT...

You must not like fishing very much I willie. 3 great lakes right there. :lol3:
BigAL64
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 am

BigAL64 wrote:
i_willie12 wrote:I grew up in springfield And people were always like oh i bet you went to branson all the time... We just love going down there.. Wheres you favorite place to go... I just looked at them and say the only place ive gone to more than once in branson was branson HS to play ball against them and that was enough of that f*cking place!!! They just look at me like WHAT...

You must not like fishing very much I willie. 3 great lakes right there. :lol3:

Never had time for fishing! Baseball and running a cattle farm was more important 8-9 lakes within 1 hour of spfld hardly ever spent a day on them in the summer
John Stephens RNT

i_willie12
hunter

Postby CUT'EM ALL JACK » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:46 pm

i caught the biggest trout of my life at taneycomo at lilleys landing's dock off of fall creek road. he was 7.6 pounds, and 29 inches long! all you need is some night crwalers on a gold hook, with a white powerbait at the top of the hook above the worm, and some weight if there is current. you will clean house!
"we are endowed by our creator to whack em and stack em!"~Phil Robertson
"peter; Arise, Kill, And Eat."
"every beast that walketh the earth, all the fowl of the air and every fish of the sea I give unto you for food"
CUT'EM ALL JACK
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:13 pm

as mentioned, below the dam!

It's probably one of my favorite trout fishing places. we fish pretty much right below the dam and have great luck. I like to use some gold bead headed flies and similar items, scuds as well. work great on the fly rod with a float, sometimes need a few sinkers.

for the micro lites the work OK as well with the same flies and sometimes micro jigs. no problem to get picky on what you're keeping on the stringer. also we usually visit the fly shop up on top of the hill before you go down to the fishery.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby kwacksmacker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:52 am

older i get the further i stay away from branson proper. kimberling city is nice :thumbsup:
totals for 09/10 season
5 bald eagles, 3 swans, 475 hen canvassbacks, 37 pintails, 400 teal blue wings and the season hasn't even started.
kwacksmacker
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting