what's everyone doing this time of year?

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

what's everyone doing this time of year?

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:57 am

Trying to get some chatter in here.........hey batter, batter, swiiiinngg batter, can't hit, can't hit, rock and fire baby........we want a batter not a broken ladder!
Everybody awake now?
I know this is a DUCK chat line, but since the ducks are gone for now, Turkey time is here! :getdown:
What's everybody doing for the season? Where ya hunting? Is anyone planning any road trips to wack a Tom?
4-5 of my buddies and I are looking at going to Texas in late April to get some Rio's. 2 day hunt, 2 birds, 1 bobcat, bow and arrow some hogs and as many coyotes as you want for $400. It's a 3500 acre ranch south of Lubbock. They supply a nice cabin for 8, newly remodelled, you supply your tags and food. The cabin has showers, beds and a nice kitchen. It should be a pretty good time.
:salude:
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

waiting

Postby MOBOTTOMBOY » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:36 am

everything is starting to get busy now. It feels like my life stops durring Jan. and Feb.

The dogwoods are starting to bloom and the crappie will move to shallow water soon. they should be stacked up under the docks in the beds any time now. I'll find out this weekend lake season kicks off on Easter Weekend for us and runs to Duck season for me.

Ducks keep me busy through the Holidays then life stops- Jan. and Feb. sucks.

Frank
MOBOTTOMBOY
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:11 am

Lots and Lots of dog training for now. I have a test coming up in May and then again in October for sure and maybe some popping up in between.

I'm going up to Northeast, MO a couple time to get me a tom. I deer hunt up there and there are tons of birds. Fishing time is also fast approaching. I usually fish a couple tourneys down at the Ozarks.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby cmsu870 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:29 am

I'm getting ready to do some fly fishing this weekend on the MO/Ark border and hopefully get me some trout. Then, I plan on getting me my first turkey, and then just getting ready for summer. I work a lot so, i can duck hunt all fall.
They make those?
Tyler
cmsu870
State Moderator

Postby huntmq1 » Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:33 pm

Fishing for trout down there can be great. We do all summer long. You know the white river down there is where the world rec. brown was caught.? It was a 42ish? lb. and the guy had to turn a 20ish lb. go from his live well to make room for it. The state kept it alive in a pen in the river until it could be certified, then the guy turned him loose. Pretty cool.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:15 pm

A little of everything. Haven't been fishing yet but plan on it. Pulling up concrete, tilling yard, seeding yard scouting turkeys. Got several spots lined up and wouldn't you know the best prospect is on public hunting land? Just spent most of the wee hours of this weekends mornings listening to them at close range and trying not to move. Gonna set up a little blind to help me out and hopefully they will be used to it by opening day.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:36 pm

Ya I just about forgot all about Turkey season this year. I'm already for Duck season to open back up. I did a little scouting for turkey over my spring break and saw about a group of a bout 8 in the same spot every single day at the same time. Then later in the week I went out shooting and I saw a bobcat, didnt know what it was at first because we have never seen them befor at our place, then later that day I walked up on 17 turkeys all hens but thats good since the toms goto the hens, then about 30mns later a walked up on a beaver, then about and hour later I walked up on a coyote. So that was a evenful day. But other wise I've just been wishing duck season would start up again.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:02 am

KC hens are good to have around until you try to start calling gobblers off of hens.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:33 pm

I was working in Miami Ok. yesterday and saw a flock of about 10 Turkeys, a few strutters, but the crazy thing about it is that there were 2 White toms in the flock. Pretty rare to see even one, but two in the same flock? Pretty cool.
huntmq1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:55 am

That is pretty cool to see wild albino's. I'm starting to have dreams about turkey hunting. Last night I had to tom's come in strutting and I woke up when I pulled the trigger. Now I don't know if I got him. :yes:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:27 am

LOL...sleep hunting.

Sure the two white toms weren't farm turkeys?

As far as there being a bunch of hens, by midday they usually nest down but the toms are still out looking for a piece so just try waiting a little bit.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 1:49 pm

Who knows, all I know is that they were with wild turkeys standing at the edge of a field.
huntmq1
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting