Who's headin out for doves

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: SPatrick, 870shooter, birddog crazy

Who's headin out for doves

Postby gsphunter » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:40 pm

Hey guys, I'm seeing alot more doves lately. I don't know if that is because I'm noticing them more or if they are starting to migrate. Either way, I can't wait to get to shooting them.

Anybody gettin ready for some dove action.

I hunt along the Mississippi river bottoms. A farmer has let me hunt there for the past couple of years. It is perfect. Sunflowers, corn, telephone lines, and right on the flyway. Good luck to everyone. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:47 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:12 am

I'll prob. be out. My huntin' buddy is in Iraq. It's been "lonely" for the past two seasons. I hate sitting in a field/blind alone. I need someone to shoot the sh** with when huntin' birds.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:51 am

Hunt if you weren't so far away man I'd be right there with ya, because I'm also gonna be a little lonely in the blind this year.

Bgoldhunter, be careful man. I know what you're talking about with public land and doves. Absolutely crazy! It reminds me of those trout parks where people line up shoulder to shoulder to fish.

I usually wait about a week to hit any public ground around here, because if you don't it is scary. I live basically in the city, so the problem is probably worse around here.

Have fun and be careful. :thumbsup:
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

I'll be heading out. Prob. not for opening weekend but soon there after.

HuntMQ1, send me a note sometime, we could meet up at Bushwacker CA. Its right off Hwy 43. I've also got some private land I can hunt on outside of Nevada too.

BE SAFE BOYS
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:53 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:35 am

There ya go bgold. Nothing like starting them young. :thumbsup: I was probably that age when my dad first took me up in a deer stand for a bow hunt.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:58 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:40 pm

Not sure if ill be able to get out for doves this year. I usually have in the past but im not sure if ill be able to this year. But if I do get the chance i definatly will.
If they weren’t meant to be eaten, then why are they made of meat?
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:38 pm

I spend a lot of time down in Mo. hunting and fishing. One of these days I will be able to talk my better half into moving down your way. I hunt the opener in Sikeston every year. Sometimes we head a little north and hunt some watermellon fields in Blodgett. Good luck everybody.....
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:17 pm

I will participate in one of those opening day nightmares this year. I have never before made the opener at a public hunting site and have been told to expect mayhem. I will most definitely have eye and ear protection on. I think this place took 3700+ dove on the opener last year. Considering there is about a 5:1 ratio on shots to birds, that is a lot of buckshot flying.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:19 pm

They manage the area I train my dogs at for doves. I'm screwed for about the first week of dove season.

Jaysweet, you gotta talk your better half into moving to a better state. :yes: Good luck to you on the doves and the negotiating.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:28 pm

Going out tomorrow afternoon. I hope my dog minds this time. Last year she saw my dad kill a bird from across the field. She took off after it and brought it back to my dad. I called and blew my whistle as loud as I could and she did not even look back.

I know this disobedience is from my own poor efforts to train, but how do you get her to listen? Should I go back to using a long lenth of rope? But she does fine when I work with here. but when we get to the field she totally ignores me sometimes. Would this be good time to implement a shock collar?

Good luck everyone. Be safe
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:16 pm

Amen to the shock collar. It's soooo easy. It should not be the only tool you use, but use it as just that, a tool. It is just like having a longer check chord on the dog.

Do you currently use one? If you don't, I can give you a write up of how to implement it.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:19 am

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:00 pm

Bgold, by force broke, I'm guessing that you mean force fetch.? I don't know why there would be any corrolation between FF and using and ecollar for basic obedience. Just like to hear your reasoning behind that.

Webfoot, I was thinking about your situation last night and today, and really, your problem started before your dog did not come to you. Your problem really began when the dog went to retrieve your dad's bird. This is a lack of steadiness. Teach the dog to sit, and not to move until released. If you are not using an ecollar on him, then use a stake to tie him down to so he can't run across a field.

I used an ecollar on my older shorthair for all her basic obedience stuff, once she fully understood what they meant and when I thought she was mature enough. I did not go through FF with her until she was about 1.5 years.

I'm interested in hearing the reasoning behind Bgold's method, because I have honestly never heard that.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:53 pm

No I don't use one. When I work with in the yard, she behaves perfectly. I'll tell her to stay and she won't move till I tell her to. In the field it is a different story. I guess I never enforced it while actually hunting. I'm going to try staking her in the ground and making her stay till I release her. She has a marvelous desire to hunt. Yesterday she picked one of my wounded doves right out of the air as it was still flying away from her. It was one of those moments that makes every gun dog owner proud.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby hooper » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:45 pm

I have a shorthair that I use for upland game. Awesome pointer, and has great obediance. Except he doesn't like to pick up the bird and bring it back. I have heard of the force retieve method. What is it, and how does it work.

Webfoot. I used a shock collar for one year, aand it only took a couple zaps, and he will never do those things again. Now when we hunt, he just wears the collar, but the transmitter stays in the truck.
hooper
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:44 pm

I can explain FF Tuesday hooper. Just checking in on the board and don't have time. If you want to, I know there are several write ups on it in the Dog Forum. See ya all Tuesday.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue Sep 06, 2005 7:51 am

Hooper, the best advice I can really give you is to check out a couple books. The primary method that I followed is in Evan Graham's book, Smartfetch. It's extremely thorough and detailed.

The basic principle of the method is teaching the dog that retrieving is not an option, but part of its routine that it has to follow. Just like you expect the dog to sit when you tell it too, or kennel when you tell it to.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:30 am

Went out yesterday afternoon and killed my limit. Shot almost two boxes of shells and killed twelve birds. :yes:

[img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/gsphunter/sadiewithdoves.jpg[/img][/img]

Can't wait until those are greendheads on the tailgate instead of doves, but they sure are fun to hunt and hard to hit.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby huntmq1 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:46 pm

Not sure how well you guys are doing up north in the state, but there just doesn't seem to be a whole lot down here yet. A few good flights, but not like it's been in the past. The farmers are JUST starting to cut the corn down here so we'll see how it goes in a few days. Had a few teal buzz me while sitting in a cut field Saturday morning.
Hey, did you grab the blind bag with the shells when we left the truck?
Safetys, use them: If you can see red, you can get dead!
huntmq1
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:29 pm

I went out this weekend and got a limit. We just started cutting our corn on thursday and the areas that were just cut were really good. I went the weekend before but it wasnt that good only got 9. The birds were staying out in the corn fields and not flying that much then. But now in the open cut fields they are flying fairly good.
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:33 am

Those doves that I killed were chocked full of corn. The farmer where I hunt has probably about 90% of his corn shelled.

Those doves were coming in for a drink at a little bitty watering hole.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby KCDuckMaster » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:06 pm

Ya, a water hole next to some corn is almost always a great spot. But where I hunt our fields are huge and they have the entire missouri river running along next to us. So finding a sport like that on our property is kinda hard but a friend of our just up the road from us has a small alfalfa field, and the doves love it.
KCDuckMaster
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting