New guy!

Duck hunting in Missouri topics of discussion are found here. Also MO is becoming one of the top Snow goose hunting destinations.

Moderators: KCDuckMaster, SPatrick, birddog crazy, 870shooter

New guy!

Postby nastymallard » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:30 pm

Hello to all. I'm relatively new here in Missouri. We moved here from Mississippi ~ 2.5 years ago. I'm suffering from severe duck hunting withdrawals. Mississippi has so many places to go and hunt successfully. I'm sure that our beautiful state of MO does as well. Needless to say, I have been unsuccessful at locating a good spot closeby. I live in Cassville, close to Table Rock Lake. I'm used to hunting marshes, sloughs, and ponds. I'm planning on trying Table Rock this year. I would love to hear about any places around the Cassville/Monett area. Or if anyone has any advice about Table Rock Lake, that would be great as well. I have heard about Stockton Lake-not totally out of reach for me, but a little bit farther than I'd like to go. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven't killed a green head in over 2 yrs! I'm gonna go nuts if I don't get on some ducks this year. :help:
nastymallard
hunter

Postby hooper » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:26 am

Welcome. The missouri conservation website is pretty helpful in finding conservation areas to go to. The site takes some getting use to, but once you figure it out, you can look by region to find places to go. I think Missouri does a great job with the areas they provide for us. Good luck.
hooper
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Fri Sep 09, 2005 4:13 pm

:welcome: Nastymallard,

I am originally from Monett. I am very familiar with Table Rock. My parents have a house near Shell Knob.

I have seen a few ducks but mostly geese on the lake. I know there are a lot of guys that goose hunt near Big M and further up the arm to Eagle Rock.

As for ducks, there are a few rivers I might think about. Spring River near Sarcoxie (I think), James River Near Springfield, I don't know if the Elk River gets many ducks or not. We used to do a lot of pond Jumping north of Monett with pretty good results. Seems like they like I-44.

Stockton usually holds a decent number of ducks, esp when everything freezes over.

I have had good luck over by Carthage on farm ponds in crop fields.

Hope this gives you a little bit to start with. The closest waterfowl management area would probably be Four Rivers, north. of Nevada.

Good Luck,
Webfoot
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:19 am

Welcome aboard NastyMallard. I wish I could help you out, but that area is just a bit far South for any of my knowledge.

Like hooper said though, the MDC website is very helpful. He was also right when he said it takes some getting used to also. That site can be so helpful, but at the same time so dang confusing.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Return to Missouri Duck Hunting