Duck hunting in Montana

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Duck hunting in Montana

Postby Get'em » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:05 am

I live in manhattan MT and i usually just hunt around this area and sometimes down on Willow Creek Resivior also known as Harrison. I was wondering if anybody else hunts around here.
Get'em
hunter

welcome

Postby fun4jake » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:04 pm

there is someone here from Missoula and a couple of us from Butte and a couple from Dillon so we are around. Mostly hunt around here this year learning new places. If you have not already, go to the bio and tell us a little about yourself.

Jeff
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Get'em » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:18 pm

i have already been to the bio page and have sent one out look forward to talking with you guys.
Tyler A.K.A Get'em
Get'em
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:09 pm

Do any of you guys around Butte hunt the valley that is Northwest of town? I don't know anything about it, other than I saw it this summer when we moved and thought it looked like a good place for ducks. It's right along the interstate - I will have to check it out sometime.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Fredito » Wed Oct 19, 2005 4:25 pm

Are you talking about the Anaconda/Deer Lodge area? If so...its a decent area...once the birds get moving...I live in Butte and hopefully I got my directions right...if not let me know and I can figure it out
Fredito
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:46 pm

Yes, that is the area I am thinking of. I usually only hunt public land, so I guess I am curious as to what types of public land is offered. Thanks.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Fredito » Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:48 pm

Actually you have quite a bit of options for public land...You have the DU ponds and the Warmspring Ponds...You also have some Block Mang in that area also...I was at the DU ponds with fun4jake last weekend, not alot happening yet...I am checking out some of the block mang this friday so we will see how that goes...Once the ducks get moving the whole general area should be pretty good...might be a good area for a group hunt if people are up for it
Fredito
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:34 pm

Thanks for the info. The group hunt sounds like a good time. I read the NoDak waterfowl report and reports are that waterfowl are still happy with Canada. Hope that changes soon, I would like to see a few more around...
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Get'em » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:23 pm

It would be awsome if a couple of us duck hunting fanatics would be able to meet up and go on a hunting trip together. Make some new friends and enjoy shooting some ducks :salude:
Get'em
hunter

Postby Fredito » Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:42 pm

Pretty slow week for getting ducks around here....I guess they are all up in Canada...Maybe a road trip is needed..... :laughing:
Fredito
hunter

Postby notceaubrite » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:03 pm

Your best bet is to get on some of the Block Management ranches just off the refuge. The Logan and Lampert Ranches are pretty good bets. I hunted Lamperts opening weekend and just smoked em. They have quite a few potholes just off the Clark Fork and when the start getting pressured off the refuge, they pour onto those ponds. Bummer part is that they just put their cows into the river bottom. I haven't asked them how long they plan on keeping them there. The bonus part is that after we got our limits, we stepped out of the river bottom and shot our limits of Huns.

Anyway, just food for thought. Good luck y'all, and if anyone wants a hunting buddy, hit me with a PM.

Davin
notceaubrite
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting