Anyone been duck hunting?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Anyone been duck hunting?

Postby phutch30 » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:28 am

A buddy and I hunted Friday afternoon and did pretty good. We shot 6 drake mallards (one banded), a drake pintail, 2 widgeon and 3 gads in about 3 hours. Sat morning we went back to the same area and shot 11 drake mallards, a widgeon and 2 gads plus a bonus of 4 geese. The action died about 1030am but we hunted for a few hours more hopeing for more geese but they never showed. We tried it again on Sun but ended up in a fog bank so thick we couldnt see all the decoys in our spread. So we quit at about 10. That afternoon we hunted some grain and alfala fields I have been doing really good on. Myself, the landowner and my fatherinlaw limited with 18 mallards(one banded hen), 2 drake pintails and a really nicely plumed drake gad in less than 2 hours. There were several thousand ducks working the fields. They are roosting on private property and not heading to areas they have historicaly used to roost.On the plus side I saw my first two banded mallards of the year this weekend. On the negative side I didnt shoot either one. Postd fridays hunt in the photo area (grindage).
Last edited by phutch30 on Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Get'em » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:26 pm

i went out sunday morning on the gallatan river and did pretty good. i shot 6 mallards and one wood duck and a limit of geese it was pretty fast pace and the ducks were flying early. i had 5 mallards sitting in my dekes about 20 minutes before shooting time and i had two geese sittin on the bank next to me i was done shooting at 8:15 so i got the camera out and started to take pictures of the ducks landing in the dekes.
Get'em
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting