Hunting Harrison Lake

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Hunting Harrison Lake

Postby Get'em » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:27 pm

Has anybody hunted harrison lake before. i went down there a couple of weeks ago there were alot of ducks and geese but i just couldnt get them to come in.
Get'em
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:39 pm

You really have to get out on the mud flat/islands to have much success on willow creek res aka harrison lake. I used to canoe out and lay on/ cover up with some burlap. worked pretty good. Also if its windy find a sheltered cove and set up.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Tightline » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:37 pm

Harrison can get alot of birds on it at times. Most of the time the water line is so low that you can't hunt out of a boat/blind combo because all of the cover is 30 to 50 feet behind you. Also if you get back towards the dam or back to the outlet keep aware of the wind, the rollers can get REAL NASTY in the canyon when the wind get howling.

As for birds, I can tell you that on Sunday the 30th there was nothing on the water and only a few in the air goin' high and fast. My buddy that is a guide decided to give it a try since he had the day off and the water is supposed to still be up, and they got skunked. Three guys and not a one of them got to shoot all day. I was at Ennis above the lake on the Madison and we were 2 birds short of limiting out by 9:30 with three guys. Needless to say....when we met my buddy, the guide, and his group in Norris for a cold one he was pretty quiet. But not me :yes:. I might not get payed to take the people hunting but it sure is nice when you kill more birds than those that do.
Water is good.....Work is bad!!!
Tightline
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:11 am

Right on Tightline,
Thats the way to make a friend suffer :umm:
fun4jake
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting