That MOJO seems to work......

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

What do you think of the MoJo's???

They make a world of difference.
71%
They make no difference.
7%
Never tried one.
21%

Total votes : 14

That MOJO seems to work......

Postby 7greenslady » Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:26 pm

Hey Fellas!
Well last week I got sick of 7grnhds not gettin me any damn ducks within a mile of shooting range, (j/k), so I went down to Wal*Mart and bought me a baby MoJo. Now, 7grnhds will tell ya I bought it for him, but he's my MoJo and I named him Frank. So we took Frank out on Saturday and we brought our beast of a black lab, Kenai, hoping to see his first live retrieve, as this is his first season. Well, Frank did what I wanted. We put him in about a dozen decs and let him do his thing. (I let 7grnhds call, too, so he felt like he was doin' somethin'). And we brought mallards well into shooting range. So there we were, me, my dog, my boyfriend, and my gun, and I could not hit a damned bird for the life of me. I was too worked up over seeing Keke's first retrieve and I couldn't focus on the birds.
What a day. Anyhow, it was good to see Kenai behaving in the blind, minding the decs and drinking my hot cocoa, so the day was alright.
Now, when 7grnhds gets on here, he'll tell I can't shoot anyways, but he's lying if he does. I hit a spoony from a mile away on opener!
The moral of this story: MoJo's work, 7grnhds can call, I still have the best dog in the world (whether he never retrieves so much as a pidgeon, or he becomes a world champ) and.......... I need a bigger shotgun!!! Hopefully this week is better!

Have a good one fellas!!!
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Thu Nov 03, 2005 5:44 pm

Great Story. The trick I have learned is to use the motion decoy until the birds are getting close, then turn it off(if its a remote). A day of dogs, birds, and guns cant be beat, no matter what you bring home.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Fri Nov 04, 2005 12:19 am

I hope we keep with the times and make those monstrosities illegal in Montana.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:38 am

In Nebraska we used 'wingers' all the time to get the attention we needed. Hardly ever called any ducks in, but geese don't seem to like them.. I have a wind operated decoy now, but the wind doesn't blow here like it did in Nebraska - I am used to 20-30 mph winds - it's toooo calm here! ha ha! I guess I will have to return to the art of calling for awhile and see how that works.

7greenslady, just remember to but the bead where the duck will be, that's my most common mistake... and another thing is I get too excited and just start shooting.. A quick deep breath will really let you focus on those ducks!! Best of luck!
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby fun4jake » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:07 am

Dont worry troutslayer. The time is coming. Most other states have had them banned for years now. Just like everything else in Montan, Let the world figure it out and then wait 5 years and it will come to Montana.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:38 am

Why ban them. MT doenst have a sufficient number of waterfowl hunters to really cause an impact. There are almost more duck hunters in AR than people in MT. I find my robo duck allows me to be much more selective for drakes and less inclined to shoot what ever. If you dont like them dont use them. But dont tell me I cant because you dont like them.
The only states that have banned them are states where the waterfowlers are complaining about no ducks. Which has nothing to do with mechanicals, but a whole lot to do with migration patterns and the fact that the northern tier states have not been freezing up and pushing ducks south like what used to happen. Heck, I passed on a bluewing teal drake on the last day of the season last year.Whats up with that. When its good hunting robos make it alittle better. But dont think theyare the cure all for crappy hunting or a poor setup.
Last edited by phutch30 on Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phutch30
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:52 pm

Phutch30,
to that I agree, Unfortunately when one or many states ban a hunting device then the feds get on board and ban it entirely. Just like using lead shot. Interesting how most of the decoy weights are lead, fishing weights are lead, etc. But holy cow, dont use lead shot it will kill the birds. Well that's the intent. Kill the birds then eat them. I love Ducks, they taste real good!! :mrgreen:

I am just waiting to hear that FWP bans electronic decoys because if not they will lose federal funding. I dont think thats far down the road. I give it one more year.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:05 pm

One of the biggest reasons for banning lead shot was lead poisoning in bald eagles, a threatened species, that were eating dead ducks. Your right though. Think about this. Why can we shoot pheasants in a corn field with lead but have to use steel for ducks and geese in that same corn field. A simple case of uninformed public forcing lawmakers to ignore the science.Banning spinning wing decoys in MT or any of the low harvest states isnt going to have any significant impact on waterfowl populations. Our 107 day 7 bird limit is haveing an impact especially when you factor in that the last 10 years the birds have hung around all season. I dont really see us getting spinners banned in the near future. Its not really a federal issue yet. For now its some cry babies in the south who arent killing 400,000 ducks a year anymore.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Tightline » Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:47 pm

I do not use a motorized decoy, but I do use a couple of wind activated spinners. Around here in the Bozone we don't have much shortage of wind so they work great. The biggest advantage that I have seen is that for someone like me who is fairly new to the game and doesn't have alot of experience calling, you don't need to call as much. The flash gets their attention and gets em close, but if you have a bad day behind your gun they won't help you kill birds.
Water is good.....Work is bad!!!
Tightline
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:11 pm

I agree, there's no reason to outlaw the MOJOs. If you read the scientific evidence there is no correlation between MOJOs and hunter success or average number of ducks killed each year.

You ask any duck hunter in the south, they MOJOs work great for a few years until, like any new innovation, the ducks get wise. Then they are as useful as a normal decoy.

Most of the opposition comes from the old timers. They raise "fair chase" issues. Which may or may not be valid, expecially during the first few years.

Here in Montana, our duck populations aren't that great. And probably never will be. Besides, the only ducks who are fooled by these things are the residents and it's time to refresh these stocks anyway.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Nov 06, 2005 11:17 pm

I guess that was a little harsh. While I have seen them pull in birds that probably wouldn't have tried to land, I have also seen them flare birds. Most often I have witnessed two different spreads on different ends of a big pond. One guy has a mojo and one guy doesn't. Both blinds are good and ducks prefer both spots equally. I have rarely seen the guy with the mojo do much better than the guy with regular dekes, often worse. I have been on both ends of this experiment because some of my friends have those things. Are their benefits enough to justify their cost, weight, recharging and general hassle?

marcbme, I think that the residents are the ones that wise up to those things and that mojos work better on naive later season birds that are passing through.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Get'em » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:38 pm

i have a lucky duck and i love it. i really see no sense in banning the use of the dekes due to the results that i have had. i have had days were i go out without it and i shoot my limit and then days with it were i shoot my limit. i think the only thing that it affects is the hunters ya if you have just regular dekes and you are hunting were somone has a spinner nearby its tuff compatition but if its just you its not going to matter.
Get'em
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:47 pm

ok so the girlfriend is telling a lie on this one so heres what really happened she was doing the nature calling thing and i was playing with the dog because i was going to let her shoot all day but ducks landed in the decoys that was the first time the ducks came in and they loved the mojo next when she gets to the blind i call a greenhead in right aboue the mojo and she got a little excited plus i was having a off day and i think everyone diserves one of thoes once in a wile but i still love both the dog and the girlfriend
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby 7greenslady » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:21 pm

I see....
Well, here's how I feel: So long as it is legal to one-up the guy across the pond, I'm sure gonna do it. When someone decides to withold federal funding to the FWP (As they did with the DOT over the no speed limit idea), I'll follow the law as I should.
Because I am a native of Montana, hunting is a very integral part of my growing up. And, it almost seems that around here, waterfowl is one of the only ways that the everyday guy can get out and have a great hunt (you can't fence off 7 mallards), whereas it's a rich man's sport to kill a 160 class whitetail. Now, it's not that we're bad hunters, it's that it is becoming an industry and dying as a sport. I can float the river and shoot birds off any guy's shore.
My MoJo battery lasts 20 hours and takes 8 to charge it. Just like a cellphone.
I can use the MoJo, so I will. To me, it is fair chase, it is JUST as fair as the day someone manufactured the first line of floating decoys. It is as fair as when you sit there in that blind and use calls, or bugle an elk. Those birds can fly away, and I can't catch'em. It is not the same as using motorized vehicles and radio communication to track down and masacre a herd of elk. When elk hunting, I can see that those are not fair. However, I love my MoJo. $70 will be worth it, even if this is the only season I ever get to use it. After that, it will make a beautiful lawn ornament!
We all have our opinions. I'm not criticizing yours, I'm telling you mine, and those are my reasons.

Have a good one, fellas.
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:35 pm

opening day this year a guy next to us had a mojo and we were lucky to get half of the ducks in that he did that was only difference in the hole set up we had was the mojo and he limited and we didnt.

i also like the comment that the cry babys in the south.

also about the lead shot i never hunted with it but my buddies dad is a huge duck hunter and he was telling me that there was not even close to as many crips in the water.

the bigges advantage to the mojo is for a new hunter like 7grnslady because it will bring some not all ducks in closer which leades to a better shot and more of a kill rate, less of a crip rate. which will make a new hunter feel good about them selves and probably hook that hunter in to the sport forever. I am a young hunter and everything i can do to get another new hunter into the sport i will, because i was talking to a hunter education teacher here in dillon and he said that the classroom rate has droped from 130- 140 kids a year down to 30-40 so we need to get people more involved and if a mojo helps i say we need them.

if you want to argue that fin thats the way i feel
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:20 pm

Man I miss lead shot. It ruled.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting