The northerns are coming!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

The northerns are coming!

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:18 pm

I just saw a weather report calling for a pretty hard freeze across BC, SK, and AB canada. So we should see a push of birds down pretty quick. YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! Now I just need my dog back from the trainers.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Get'em » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:07 pm

That is exactly right i went out when we got the big snow storm in and i was done hunting by 745 so i just filmed the ducks as they came in. I had a pretty sweet caption though while i was filming a flock of about 15 mallards there was a bull moose heading right through my dekes i got a little scared as it came about 15 feet to my blind. It was a fun day. 6mallards 1 Pintail drake and 4 geese all within about a half an hour of shooting time.
Get'em
hunter

Postby notceaubrite » Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:42 pm

Now I just need my dog back from the trainers.

Phutch

Who did you send your dog to for training? You can't go wrong with many trainers in MT. Remein, Skaggs, Totten, you name it. I get my butt whipped on a regular basis by all of those guys in FT's.

Is he/she there just for the basics (CC, FF) or do you want to run tests/trials?

Davin
notceaubrite
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:57 pm

notceaubrite,

Moose is over at western wings working retrievers with Don Reiman. He is just there for FF. I'm hopeing he's back next week. Don says he's speeding right along.
I will probably get him his JH titile this year, but since he is nutered Im not really thinking of going any further due to the $$$ of running the trials. I put JH & SH title on my last lab. It was fun but at 300 or more per title its getting expensive.
phutch30
hunter

Postby notceaubrite » Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:11 pm

Don is a world class trainer. He has several young pro's that studied under him that are doing well on the FT circut.

I know what you mean about titles getting expensive too. I ran a couple of Q's this summer then ran out of time and money. Something about going to school with a son that takes up time and money. Who knew?

By any chance, do you know Kenny Smith down there in Dillon?

Davin
notceaubrite
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:40 pm

Not by name. I may if I saw him. Don appears to know his stuff. I just wish hed hurry up and FF my dog. I know it take s time. I sure miss the bugger though.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Get'em » Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:59 pm

i headed out the in the morning and got set up the migrations has started to hit there were flocks of 20-30 ducks at a time. Mostly the flocks with 5-12 were coming in to the dekes. limited by 745
Get'em
hunter

Postby Fredito » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:53 am

Lots more mallards around....I have also been seeing a ton of swans and geese...mostly snows though, but things are picking up
Fredito
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:16 pm

Today Ive seen 3 flocks of swans and 2 flocks of snow geese pluss a couple groups of canadas flying over the house. I just wish I could go hunting but I have to due some parenting today.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:59 pm

My wife and I went out this afternoon and she bagged a mallard. Didn't see too many migrating ducks, but did see a flock of geese and several swans.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Hart » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:47 am

I hunted in SW MT this weekend and had an awesome time. Lots of new birds in the area. I was blessed with 7 greenheads and 4 honkers on Sat and 6 greenheads and one banded drake sprig on Sunday. There was a large flock of snows running around on Saturday and they moved on at the first shot. I saw lots of swans moving over at high altitude. A few Golden eyes have moved in but the biggest change was the number of Mallards. Lots of Mallards. The still water is starting to freeze around the edges which usually means the best hunting of the season is just around the corner. God Bless and Good hunting, Mark :yes:
Hart
hunter

Postby Get'em » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:47 am

went out on sunday and shot a only a few but there are alot of birds down here in the valley i shot my first double with 2 drakes. Finished off with only 3 more birds 2 more mallards and a banded pintail drake, sending him down to Utah to be mounted
Get'em
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:51 pm

i left all of my duckhunting things at home in helena because i get done with school in 3 days and i am going home for 10 to hunt, i think that it is going to get really good really fast
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:09 pm

lots of mallards in Deer lodge valley yesterday. Shot limit of Drakes but lost one to the weeds.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Fredito » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:04 pm

I got a few mallards around the deerlodge valley also....and a few holes in my waders...got in a fight with a barbed wire fence...saw a moose and her calf also....
Fredito
hunter

Postby nemont » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:14 pm

Friday and Saturday the lesser Canada's were flying all day and night. We were deer hunting near the Canadian border and from the time we left the pickup until we left there was never more the 10 minutes where we couldn't see or hear geese flying.

Saw HUGE flights this morning in front of this weather. Should be looking good for a midweek hunt.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:45 am

You dogs are killing me up there! I'm stuck in the armpit of the waterfowling universe at the moment, smack dab between the two flyways (apparently a no-fly zone :thumbsdown:). Save a few for me for the holidays!
Leakydecoy
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting