West or East side of the state?

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

West or East side of the state?

Postby Dalros » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:39 am

Hey guys,

What are the odds of a good ole' born and raised Oregon boy gettin in on some duck and goose hunting next year? How's the public access up there and which side of the state would be better to hunt? I now they blow thru quite a bit earlier than they do here and I sure would like to get up there and get a crack at 'em. I was thinking about applying for a white tail hunt up there also...any ideas? Thanx alot and shoot'em up!

Dalros
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:19 pm

There is better duck/goose hunting on the east side on the mountains than on the west side in my opinion. The whitetail hunting (Public land) wise is probably better on the west side. Try up near libby and in the swan valley. There is public land all over the state for big game. There are some public areas for waterfowl but also look into the block managment program for both big game and waterfowl. Just a heads up for a deer only tag. It will probably take you 2 to 4 years or more to draw this tag. There are only 2500 deer only tags for non residents and about 14000 applicants. But you may luck out. If you have the $$ the combop tag has a 87% chance on the first try and its 100% on the second try. Downside is its going to be almost 700 next year.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Dalros » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:53 pm

Thanx phutch30,

I appreciate the heads up. $700 bones huh? Sure is gettin spendy these days, I guess she'll just have to live without that Hawaii thing again. LOL!
Sure thing Hun, I'll get right on that...right after hunting season!
Dalros
hunter

Postby nemont » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:55 am

All types of hunting is better on the West side. Yaak Valley for Whitetails.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting