Hunting Reports- We are blessed to live in Montana

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Hunting Reports- We are blessed to live in Montana

Postby Hart » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:26 pm

Had a great day today. Hunted the early afternoon as the ice came off shallows. I find this technique very effective this time of year. Today was no exception. Shot a limit of green in about two hours. Pic posted in grindage. God Bless and Good hunting, Mark
Hart
hunter

Sunday November 20 Hunt- SW Montana

Postby Hart » Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:46 pm

Managed a limit despite the warm temps. Most of the birds around now are Geese, Mallards, Pintails, and a few teal. Didn't get any ops. at the geese this weekend but I sure had fun with the ducks. Hunted the same spot as yesterday in about two inches of water as the water and food thawed in the afternoon. Used a Final Approach layout blind and 18 GHG Mag field decoys. Deadly combo. Posted pic on Grindage. God Bless and good hunting , Mark
Hart
hunter

Saturday 11-28

Postby Hart » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:30 pm

Hunted the same spot as Thanksgiving morning on the Mo with the same result. 6 greenheads and a drake pinnie this time around. Much tougher hunt today. Fewer birds & we fought the snow squalls all day. It took most of the day to fill my limit. I didn't shooty very well otherwise I would have been home much sooner. Took Sunday off and spent it with my wife and smoked a bunch of jerky. This cold should heat the river action up substantially this coming week. God Bless and Good Hunting, Mark
Hart
hunter

Postby K-Town » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:47 pm

Hunted a field on Friday, and took a 5 man limit of 35 mallards and 1 honker. We were actually set up on a edge of a potatoe field because we couldnt get permission were the ducks were going across the road. Turning on the mojos and some loud calling brought the birds right into our lap. We had 2 flocks come in that were near the 200 each. Oh yeah, 2 greenies with bands.

K-Town
K-Town
hunter

Postby Hart » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:58 pm

Had a great hunt last Saturday with Fun4jake & PHutch. 3 limits of beautiful birds, awesome scenery, and great company from good friends. It just don't get any better. We are blessed. God Bless & Good Hunting, Mark
Hart
hunter

I agree

Postby fun4jake » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:56 am

My first year in Montana hunting. 4x4 whitetail, 4x5 bull elk, so far a bout 3 limits of Ducks. I think I will stick around for a while. Thanks Mark and Paul for putting up with me and sharing your guns (my firing pin froze).
fun4jake
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:26 pm

it has been great hunting this last week or so since last sunday we have shot 8 limits of birds 3 for my self and it only gets better from here
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby bullelkklr » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:31 pm

Where you guys hunting at? I will be in fairfield for xmas and hope to find some birds still up there.
bullelkklr
hunter

Dont you wish you knew where

Postby fun4jake » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:15 pm

J/K Most you will get out of me is the Deer Lodge valley and south. :yes:
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Hart » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:18 pm

Had business today in Anaconda and Deer Lodge. Despite the cold temps there were a lot of birds in the valley. I was in Bozeman on Monday and there's a lot of birds down there as well. Looks like the weather will mellow a bit this next week and that's just fine with me. My son, his fiance, and my first grandchild arrive on Thursday from Alaska. My son is a commercial fisherman in Kodiak and comes down every year for his Montana duck hunting fix. I am pumped as I start a two week vacation on Saturday. Good luck to all. We'll see you out there, Mark
Hart
hunter

Postby Leakydecoy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:19 am

You won't see me, Mark, but keep those reports coming. I'm having to live vicariously thru you guys this year.
Leakydecoy
hunter

Postby K-Town » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:18 pm

5 of us managed 22 mallards (1 band) and a honker on a spring today. Shooting was slow but steady enough to keep you around. The ducks are getting smart, so we are switching to the late season tactics. Hope everyone is doing well. :smile:
K-Town
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:53 pm

Hart, his son Nick and I had a good day today. We shot 3 limits with 16 geenheads and 5 widgeon. It was a little slow, but sure was fun. At one point we had 200+birds over us and never touched a feather. Mark said it best when he said "isnt anyone going to shoot any of these". LOL. All in all it was good freinds, goodd times and good dog work. Maybe mark will post a couple of the pics.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:52 am

We are blessed. I just got back from hunting some water I scouted in the fall. Several times I jumped groups of over 100 mallards. I also watched about 1000 put down right on top of me. Got some pheasant, 5 greenheads and a rabbit. I love it when a plan comes together. I could have taken a limit of ducks but when I jumped 100 ducks right off the bat and took two greenies I decided to only shoot for green.

My dog tangled with a porcupine while pheasant hunting which if this has never happened to your dog, you don't want it to. After some wrestling and squirming it was obvious that three of us couldn't hold her down and I had to take her to a vet where she was sedated. Not fun and expensive too.
Troutslayer
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting