Look out Ducks, Im Back in Action

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Look out Ducks, Im Back in Action

Postby phutch30 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:42 pm

I went and picked up Moose from the trainer this morning. After today, I have the rest of the week off and Im going duck hunting every day. Im stoked.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Hart » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:21 pm

Well what happened on the deer hunt ? Did you get the boys from Florida tagged out ? How's the boat running ? Good luck with the ducks. There's plenty to shoot, Mark
Hart
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:48 am

The florida guys had a good hunt. They however have no clue what a Montana whitetail should look like. Billy shot what he thought was a nice deer on the second morning. I just laughed and told him "hey nice cous deer". It was pretty small. We had fun though. I am back to bowhunting on my trapping ranch. Kristys mad at me because I wouldnt let her shoot the average 4x4 we had in front of us this morning. The was a much bigger one coming in to the rattling but the smaller one spooked and they both left. Oh well
The boat worked great. with 3 big guys it zipped right up and down the yellowstone. Im testing it on the lake tomorrow.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Hart » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:30 pm

Right on. What kind of power do you have on the boat ? I wasn't going to hunt tomorrow but I had to drive to Bozeman this morning. On the way back I did a little scouting (imagine that) and I found a hole on the Mo. that was just full of green & ready to be harvested. Never hunted the spot before but I'm going to be right in there at first light. Looks like one of those spots I'm going to have to do the 30 mile an hour skid across the island thing but tough access always makes for good hunting. I think I'm headed your way on Saturday and one of my buddies from Lewistown wants me to head his way for green on a spring creek and roosters in the ditches. I hunted over there a few weeks back and it was a real fun hunt. Hart loves to hunt those roosters. Give me a shout if you want to hook up on Saturday. The dynamics of the lake have changed since your last hunt but you won't have any problem figuring it out. God Bless & Good Hunting, Mark
Hart
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:06 pm

Its got a 40 horse jet. Its a 2 stroke w/oil injection. I would have liked a 4 stroke but it will work. Its set up for running rivers, so it throws a pretty good rooster tail, but hauls along. Were you planning a mornig or afternoon hunt on Sat? I can do an afternoon for sure maybe a morning. Im still trying to arrow a deer. Ive been doing afternoon hunts and have to switch to morning hunts this weekend due to the Boss coming out to duck hunt Sat and Sun afternoon.

Heads up- If its that island you can see from the road, my buddie is hunting it today and says maybe tomorrow. If thats the spot, Hes a good guy though and would love the company and some good dog work.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Hart » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:16 pm

No worries the spot I'm talking about is not visible from any roads. As a matter of fact it's not anywhere near a road and is going to take a major effort to get to even with the jet. I know the island you're talking about and it does get a huge amount of hunting presure. I'll be in your neck of the woods about sunup Saturday. I can get everything set up if you want to give me a call when your done with the deer & I'll run in and grab you & Moose at the lauch. Definately a layout blind show. It usually doesn't start getting good until mid-morning. Just let me know what you want to do. Good luck tomorrow, Mark
Hart
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:03 pm

Sat sounds good. I should be done by 930 or 10, if I dont get one tomorrow night or Friday night. The stand I am hunting tomorrow had a huge and I mean huge 4x4 with 4 does under it tonight. He was really wide,heavy and had good tine height. I was wishing Id gone bowhunting until we saw the pig Kristy shot,then I was glad I took her hunting. Ill call you on your cell when I get done. Save a few for me,especially the ones with shiney ankel braclets.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Hart » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:54 pm

I'll call you tomorrow night. I could have shot a 1000 Mallards this morning on the Mo. I had flocks of a hundred birds dropping in on me like flys. It was one of the most unbelievable hunts I've had here in MT. Finished the day with a triple. What a way to celebrate Thanksgiving. Posted the pic on photo gallery. God Bless & Goodhunting , Mark
Hart
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:03 pm

Well you had a better hunt than me. I busted my *** trying to get to open water. Then sat in the layout for an hour without seeing a duck ing the air. I managed 7 drakes but it took 4 1/2 hours. I also shot 7 out of the 8 drakes that came in. I would say 98% of the birds that flew within 1/2 mile worked the dekes. I could have shot about 30 hens and I had a flock of spoonies land. They were pretty scarce this morning.Oh well could have been worse.
phutch30
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting