Feezeout Lake November 27th.

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Feezeout Lake November 27th.

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Nov 28, 2005 5:58 pm

On my way home from big game hunting I stopped at freezeout and checked it out. It is half frozen and there don't seem to be that many birds. There were some goldeneyes, pintails, and mallards but not as many as I thought there would be. I didn't see any snows and started to think that they rode the cold front south but I didn't look around that much. It is probably frozen solid by now so I don't know why I'm posting. There are swans there and if you have a tag you better get out there now.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby bullelkklr » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:26 pm

I was hoping to do some goose hunting while at Fairfield over christmas - are the birds usually all gone by that time? My brother in law says that some of the water is warm spring water and some of stays open all winter - but this is his first year there and he don't hunt geese hardly at all.
bullelkklr
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:28 pm

I don't think that there's any part of freezeout that remains open all winter. It gets freaking cold up there. The WMA has a phone # with the waterfowl report that tells you how much is open. I bet it's frozen right now.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby bullelkklr » Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:22 am

My brother in law said last night that he is seeing some - but they are real high. They got a lot of snow the last week or so. When my BIL told me that there were "some warm sloughs that stay open from what the locals told him" - I was pretty skeptical.

We will prolly just go dog huntin instead.
bullelkklr
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:43 pm

check your PM
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby bullelkklr » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:35 am

Thanx troutslayer - I will check it out when I am up there.....1 thing though - my BIL will be going with me - I will tell him to keep it hush hush. He is actually renting a house I believe on the south end of freezout - that is surrounded by wheatfields...the owner gives him permission to hunt as long as he gives them some notice. I am hoping to field hunt a day or two if there are enough birds around.
bullelkklr
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting