bands

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

more bands in the south or not

yes
54%
no
46%

Total votes : 13

bands

Postby 7grnhds » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:18 pm

is it just me or are there mor bands down south than there are here because i shot one o my first duck three years ago and have shot plenty of ducks since but no bands. my buddy shot three in two weeks last year and never shot one since or before. It looks like to me there are more down there but maybe i just dont look for them when the ducks are cupped in the decoys
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:39 pm

I banded birds in Pennsylvania years ago. I don't think that there is much banding going on here and I'm not shure if there is any in Canada or not. I have shot a lot of Montana ducks and never got a band-never seen one on a passing duck either. Once my friend shot a banded bird in Missoula. It came from the Nine Pipes Refuge. There are definately more banded birds in the south, way more.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Fredito » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:28 pm

I have seen banded geese and ducks in Montana...But they are always those ducks begging for food on nature trails....They are around...but it just seems that they like to show up out of season and with alot of little kids around :pissed:
Fredito
hunter

Postby K-Town » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:47 pm

In my 6 years of waterfowl hunting, I have taken 7 bands, 2 from alberta, and 5 from Nine Pipes, all from greenheads.
K-Town
hunter

Postby 7grnhds » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:14 am

i heard that in the central flyway there are way more bands just wondering
I am here for a good time... not a long time

if your not wasted....the day is
7grnhds
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:35 am

You have to figure in numbers here. I hunted The Platte River in Nebraska for years, and this is my first season in Montana. I only shot one band in my time in Nebraska - about 7 years - after shooting hundreds of ducks. My brother shot one Ross' Goose in the spring season with a band. So together, with neary 15 years of hunting between us, we have 2 bands from Nebraska. I shot six ducks this season here in Montana and of those 6 one was banded... You can do that math.

There might be more bands in the Central Flyway, but look at the numbers of ducks there - your chances for getting a band are MUCH lower with millions and millions of ducks passing by. One thing I have noticed here is ducks follow the valley and rivers - which doesn't give them many options - now I realize it's different in the Eastern Part of MT.. There arn't many ponds for ducks to land on in the valleys either... But in NE there are no mountains, valleys, and the rivers run across their migration route, so ducks land there and on the many lakes, pasture ponds, ect. they have no limits in direction - which makes it harder to find a honey hole. I kinda like the MT mountain hunting though, it's easy to figure out where the ducks are going to be! :mrgreen:

There are no more ducks with bands in the South than there are passing by here.. You have to remember they band ducks in the North and they have to pass by us to get to the South.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:20 am

I generally get a banded bird every year in MT. So far this year Ive seen 4 banded birds get shot but havent managed to get one myself. I didnt get one last year but I got two the year before.

I think you get more bands in the southern states because thats where the majority of birds winter.
phutch30
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:40 pm

I grew up hunting arkansas and never shot a banded bird once. Last year I shot 2 in montana and was on a hunt where another one got shot. This year I have one and have seen 2 others shot.
quackpipe
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:07 pm

I've been hunting MT for about 12 years and I've shot 2 banded birds. Granted, I wasn't "hardcore" for much of that time and didn't shoot usually more than 30 birds/year until I went to school and got a girlfriend/fience/wife (I was much less intersted in hunting when I was chasing tail, but I was much more successful hunting birds than women :toofunny: ).

I shot one banded bird this year. I figure (as a rough guess), that around here about 1/200 birds are banded. I think there are many more bands in the midwest and south because there are more refuges in those parts where they do banding. Just look at some of those guys with lanyards full of bands, they ain't hunting montana to get those bands..they are hunting near refuges that band birds.

So far this year I've seen about 200 dead birds and have seen on band (mine) so as of now my rough guess on percentage is holding true.
wingnutty
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:17 pm

they ain't hunting montana to get those bands..they are hunting near refuges that band birds.

duck runner told me that people are hunting ebay for those bands. I went there and looked, and yes they are for sale on ebay. Why is it that an unreported band commands a higher price? I did see a banded bird standing on an ice shelf a few weeks ago, no gun, no dog with me. I don't buy the 1/200 ratio, maybe in the central flyway, but I have probably been witness to more than 500 birds dying in the Pacific flyway, and have seen 2 bands. I guess it's just luck of the draw, or being really good and picking out the banded birds as they're coming in.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:13 am

I still stick to what I said a year ago. Most of the banding done in North America is done in the summer months when birds are farther north on the continent. They are banded and have to fly south, passing right over our heads on their way south. We get more chances at banded birds than people in the south do if you statistically look at it...

Most of the guys who carry those awful looking necklaces around are guys who hunt in Canada and northern states early in the migration and then migrate south with the birds. They are allowed more ducks and geese to harvest in Canada so they have a better chance of picking a band as well....or like Troutslayer and I discussed, they pay a few bucks here and there for bands on the internet.

Last year I shot 6 ducks and I had myself a band - this year I haven't seen any bands except for the one that Troutslayer scored on... I go to sleep every night wondering why didn't I get my gun up to shoot that band? :hammering:

I will say one thing though, I don't carry my bands on my lanyard in the field. I have them hanging on my retired lanyard with my old calls. They get to live out the season on my field lanyard and then once the season ends they are transfered. Don't want to lose them, and don't want to have shiny metal around my neck after getting all my pretty camouflage on.
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Postby Deadpair » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:24 pm

I have 19 bands over the past 3 years all shot in western Montana. Previous to that I had a full lanyard that I lost out hunting. Most of the birds are banded in Alberta or Ninepipe. This year I'm at 3 bands... Lord willing I'll get 2 more.
Deadpair
hunter

Postby wingnutty » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:32 pm

As I said previously, most people who get "lots" of bands are hunting near refuges where banding occurs. That isn't to say that we all don't get lucky and sometimes knock down 2-5 in a season, but for most of us it isn't that often. I kill around 100 birds/yr and for me, I don't get "lucky" that often.

I'd love to hunt near a refuge where I could get a few more chances at bands, but it ain't happening right now.

I know guys who shoot near refuges in the midwest in Wisconsin, MN, Iowa, Illinios and Indiana and they shoot many more banded birds than anyone else I know.

I stand by my rough estimate that about .5% of our birds we see are banded, maybe it is .3% or 1%, but its close to about .5% at any rate.

Heck, one of my buddies shot a double on the last day of the season last year...two banded drakes :thumbsup: Sometimes ya just get lucky!
wingnutty
hunter

Postby quackpipe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:36 pm

banded in seven persons alberta, shot on the Clarkfork. I think mapquest said it was 430 miles or so.
quackpipe
hunter

Postby DownThePipe » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:12 pm

Quackpipe- I shot a bird that was banded in the same exact spot. I killed it this November- hatched in 2004 or earlier, banded 8/18/05.

My family has got I think 5 bands in the last 3 years- but it does not come close to what people in the Central Flyway shoot I believe. There are just so many more birds that run that flyway- and they simply band more birds in that flyway.
DownThePipe
hunter

Postby Duck Runner » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:59 pm

Where in the Central flyway are these people hunting???
Duck Runner
State Moderator

Banded

Postby pmahler » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:43 pm

Just shot a double banded Goldeneye last night East of Billings, anybody ever shot a doubler? One had the metal band & the other had a orange/yellow zip tie w/ a "T" one it. Anybody else ever found this?
pmahler
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:43 pm

A couple of days ago, the first mallard of the trip was a banded bird. I think I shot it, but someone else always loves the claim. Oh well. Jewelry is jewelry and it just nice to see some bands even if I don't get to keep em'. I've never shot a double band nor seen a zip tied one. Maybe it's a reward band. Does it have a phone # on it? It'll be interesting to see what comes of that. Congrats on the double. :salude:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby RiverRock » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:02 am

The guys you see on TV and Video with necklaces full of bands, are simply shooting LOCAL birds around the areas that the ducks are banded. Plain and simple. Where they band the ducks, is where MOST of the bands are taken. Its just that simple. I've shot plenty of banded ducks and geese (I'm east of Billings in the Central) and 80% or more of the bands are form Saskatchewan. Imagine hunting on the pond they banded at in early season.......rather than hundreds or even thousands of miles away. Those big JEWELRY necklaces,....I'd bet most of em shot within 15 miles of a banding area.
Outfitter's ain't all bad
RiverRock
Newb

Postby marcbme » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:37 am

I have yet to even SEE a banded bird, much less shoot one.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting