Recipes

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Recipes

Postby 7greenslady » Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:49 pm

I noticed we are all interested in bag limits. The best way to avoid a violation of breasts in posession: eat them. :smile:

We eat duck several days a week, and I was wondering if you guys have any good recipes we could share. I often cook several birds, eat them for dinner, and use the leftovers for lunch. This way, between me and Cody, we can use up both of our limits in a day or two.

Stew:
duck breasts (goose/grouse work,too!)
1 bunch celery
1 (1lb.) bag baby carrots
1/2 onion
salt & pepper

Place duck breasts (usually 2-3 per person eating, but don't fill more than 2/3 of your slow cooker) in crock pot/slow cooker. Fill with carrots, celery, and 1/2 onion, all chopped. Add water (so that slow cooker is 3/4 full). Add small amounts of salt and pepper. Cook on low for 4 hours, stirring occasionally. After four hours, drain most of the water.
In a separate bowl, have prepared: 1 can cream of mushroom soup and 1 can milk. Mix very well.
Add soup mix to crock pot, and stir. If this fills less than 1/2, add another soup mixture. Cook on low two hours. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This recipe works great, but I made it up so there is plenty of room for improvement. I once added potatoes, but they took forever to cook. Any suggestions, let me know.

Post your recipes as well, please. Thanks!
Have a good one, fellas!
-Em
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Postby Fredito » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:23 pm

probably my favorite is to soak the breasts in soy for about 3 hours....Then cut into strips...put them in a jalopeno (sp) that you cleaned out and sliced in half, wrap the whole thing in bacon and then BBQ...when you are done roll the entire thing in parmisane (sp) cheese....for goose I usally make sweet and sour goose
Fredito
hunter

Postby nemont » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:28 pm

4 to 6 duck breasts- cut into strips
1 large onion diced
1 green, red or yellow pepper cut into strips
1 clove of garlic crushed
1 cup karo syrup
1 cup Soy sauce

Brown the duck strips in a small amount of olive oil. Remove and set aside. Brown onion, pepper and garlic until soft. Mix Karo syrup and soy sauce and pout over the veggies. Add duck strips back to the pan. Continue to simmer for about 1/2 hour.

Make some rice and serve this over rice. Add lots of fresh ground pepper and an ice cold beer. This is usually better the second time around.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

super simple recipe

Postby fun4jake » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:57 am

Here is a quick and easy one.

Marinate breast in bbq sauce overnight. Then cook on BBQ until medium rare. Eat and enjoy. this year I vacuume sealed 4 breast with bbq sauce and froze. We will see how they end up when I cooke em.
fun4jake
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Mon Dec 12, 2005 5:39 pm

I cooked a goose with this recipie the other day, since I had one mallard from that day I put it in too. It was the best duck I have ever eaten.

Marinate duck in Merlot and diced garlic for at least 5 hours. Grill slow till medium rare while basting with butter.

One of my own inventions:
Peel a bunch of apples, slice them, put in the microwave with brown sugar and cinnamon for about 20 minutes. Mash them up. Basically you made apple sauce.

Brown duck breasts in a skillet in olive oil. Just brown the outside. Put them in the corningware that you used for the applesauce and cover with the apple mixture. Bake covered 375 for a couple of hours. The ducks come out sweet and tender.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby 7greenslady » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:26 pm

A good BBQ:

Use any bird. I have done chicken, swan, hun, duck, goose, and grouse.

Completely thaw breasts. Spray cooking spray on a baking pan. (like you would use to make a cake or brownies). Place breasts in pan. They will shrink, so you can let them touch. Pour water into pan, to fill halfway up the breasts. Cover with alluminum foil and bake a 350 until cooked through. Pour BBQ sauce over EACH breast. Recover, bake another ten minutes or so. Serve.

The best thing I ever cooked this way was the huns, probably because it was a lighter meat.

Have a good one, fellas.
-Em
~~~~~~~~
On your right! Wait, wait, Take 'em!
7greenslady
hunter

Postby nemont » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:47 pm

Fowl on Coke

- Place as many Duck or goose breasts as you want to eat in a crock pot

Add a whole chopped onion, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ground black pepper and 2 pinches of Kosher salt. Throw into the crock pot with the duck or goose breasts.

Mix one 24 oz bottle of ketchup with 1 12 oz. can of coke (NOT diet). Mix together and pour over all the contents of the crock pot. Let cook on low for as long as 12 hours. Then take the breasts out and shred the meat by using two forks and just pulling it apart ( be sure to check for shot). Return the shredded meat to the sauce in the crock pot.

Serve either on Hamburger buns or hoagie rolls like BBQ Beef, Great for cold days or when you want to invite a few people over to watch the Cats beat the Griz again.
Serve with a nice cold beer.

Nemont
nemont
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting