Duck Hunting Forum banner

First Jam EVER

810 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  phutch30 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Last week when it was in the -5 range. I had left my gun in the car overnight and the wet dog had laid against it.
I noticed it was tough when I loaded a shell but I was burning daylight and didn't pay much attention to it.
Rocki and I were walking a dike (insert joke here) that had some open water. Pretty tough to sneak because it was about
15' above the water. We trudge about 2 plus miles and see a small group and put a great sneak on them. I pop up and hit
a Drake and swing on another and nothing. The empty is hung up in the action. 2 miles, 1 shot. We keep walking and about
another 1/4 mile on a corner we see a larger group. I thought was about a dozen. We put another good sneak on and pop up in the right spot. Well there weren't 12 ducks more like 60. I got Duck fever, got off 3 rounds and didn't ruffle a feather. Didn't think it was possible. I popped up on the end of the group and thought I was focused on the birds in front of me but realized
later that my gun was pointed at that bunch but my eyes were watching the others. You can see the disgust on Rocki's face below. 5 miles, -5, 1 duck.
010211052001.jpg

010211052051.jpg

010211052615.jpg

1293971545764.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
This is off a fishing access, lot of traffic and nowhere to hide. The next day we walked all that way and back and didn't
see anything accept people. One lady asked me if I had seen anything, my reply was "No, just no trespassing signs and people"
and had to push her unruly hound away with the muzzle of my gun. She was a little put off by that as well. I usually can only get there right before last light. I may work it more and a little different next year. The Pooch seems to be coming along. I can't believe I can actually take her jump shooting. I just use the Tone button on her collar when needed and she is quiet and stays right next to me. She even kinda hides when I tell her to lay down. It's fun to see her hold back then hopefully retrieve. I know Bella was not a dog you wanted with if you were jump shooting. All these onesy twosy's are adding up. I realized last night I've shot quite a few ducks this year. Not a lot at once 4 is a big day for me. I just wish they tasted like pheasant.

#6 ·
There is nothing wrong with my cooking. To each their own. If you think you can convince me that duck tastes better than pheasant, then ya need to put the pipe down. Pheasant and Grouse are my faves. These are the same comments I get from the Antelope crowd. I would rather eat the *** out of a road killed skunk than eat antelope. No I don't care how YOU prepared or processed it, it's still nasty to ME. I will not eat it on a plane, I will not eat it on a train, I will not eat it on a boat. I will not eat that smelly goat. I wish I'd known that Hutch, i'd have traded across the board chicken for duck. If you have a killer duck recipe I'd sure try it. But any recipe that has any cream of anything soup means whatever you are cooking is nasty and inedible...to me anyway.

#7 ·
Try this its easy. Take a couple duck breast cut in half length wise. Then cut into 3-4 cubes. put the cubes in a zip lock with sesamee seed teriaki marinade for 1-8 hours and refrig. then take some skewers and some bacon. Skewer the bacon, put 3-4 cubs of duck, loop the bacon add duck cubes repeat. Cook it on a barbacue medium hot. I turn mine 1/4 turn about every 3-4 min so every side cooks. When the bacon is cooked (NOT dry CRISPY) the duck is done. My family will eat a limit of birds prepared this way in a sitting....course my son will eat a whole roasted duck by himself too. LOL

If you ever shoot a goose ( :yes: )try this

take a goose breast and stab it on both sides liberally with a narrow bladed knife. Put in a zip lock with your favorite marinade for a 1-8 hours. Take out wrap with bacon and grill about 10 min per side or until internal temp is 145. Its outstanding.

For those of you who pluck birds. Get a digital thermometer.

At my elevation ducks are done to my prefernce (medium) at 170 degrees and geese are done at 162-63. This is with the probe in the breast midway in depth. Roasted goose is like flying roast beef. I act like I dont like shooting them but my family just loves them roasted. I only pluck the young ones. I better see some type of pin feathers or I stop. I always try to pick out the smallest goose in a flock since it gives me the best odds of shooting a juvi. I shot a lesser on the Horn that lucked out with as it was also a juvi. weighed about 6lbs. plucked its about 2x the size of a mallard.

I like pheasant but its not my favorite. Id rather eat wild turkey, sharpies or grouse anyday. I think its bland like store chicken.

Antelope??? well Ive had good and bad. Since ive started boneing them and putting them on ice within a hours of shooting them they have all been good. Most of the time it tastes like an average whitetail doe.

#8 ·
I'll try that Hutch thanks!!!
There is a marinade called Game Tame and come in different favors. As long as you don't leave it in too long it's really good.

Have you tried Duck Ala Ritz?

Take your duck breast and put it between some plastic wrap and pound it out like veal
Crush up some Ritz crackers
Make an egg wash
Dip breasts in the egg then the crackers
Cook in hot oil, I like olive oil.... only a minute or two per side
take out of oil, get rid of any excess oil
Top with gorganzola or blue cheese and bake at 425 for about 5 minutes
You'll have to play around with the baking times. The rarer the better for me and duck.

I also like t get some Zatarains Dirty rice mix
Cube up some Duck (bite Size) Brown it
Brown a pound of venison or burger
Follow directions on box
It ends up being a lot of meat But I usually eat just that
I'm a bachelor what can I tell ya.

Any of the zatarains stuff you can add Duck too and have a great meal.

#9 ·
I havent. Ive made some duck burgers a couple times that were good. I like sweet marinades. They seem to go reallywell with waterfowl.

Just cooked up a couple goose breast as I described. Man were they good. Med rare in the middle tastes like roast beef

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.