Finally got some Bling!

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Finally got some Bling!

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:55 am

Finally got a band for this year. Ive seen 5 people shoot banded birds and was starting to think I wasnt going to get one this year. I went out Mon for a hunt and it was slow probably because the wind was blowing 40 mph. I had 4 drake mallards by 9 am and then didnt see another duck until 230. The banded drake was #7 for the day. I also did good on the geese. I shot 4 and could have shot 50. they were flying much better than the ducks. and really wanted into the corner I was in. If I can ever get my camera to download Ill post a pic. Until then heres a pic from this past Sats hunt with fellow members Hart and Fun4jake. I shot a realy nice drake widgeon hopeing to get him mounted, tobad he had a big hole in his breast. Jeff, what is that brown duck hiding at the bottom of all that green?

[img][url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=361193&c=500&z=1"][img]http://www.hunt101.com/img/361193-big.JPG[/img][/url][/img]
phutch30
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:24 am

That sure did not take long. Waiting for the shooting misses next. Good job on the band.

Paul what do you get when you mix big foot and duck feathers??
fun4jake
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:48 am

Hmmm, I dont know but Ive been thinking of telling our fellow members to invest in the company who makes fast steel, AKA your shell brand of choice. I think thier profits are going to go up. LOL. I am just kidding. we all went thru a spell of bad shooting on that hunt...albeit not like you but we got the job done finally. Just remeber what hart said i.e "BANG! BANG! BANG! huh what the heck happend there". It happends to all of us.

How did you do on Sun?

PS you should have seen me yesterday after plucking 7 ducks and 4 geese in high wind. It really looked like Id been tared and feathered.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Hart » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:43 pm

Hey how did I get drug into this. I will admit the first two bangs at a bird hanging over the decoys at 25 yards didn't even draw a feather but the last bang was the last heard by that drake. Now the guy to my right (no names mentioned because I love you both) had so many empties on the ground that it was starting to flare birds and was on the verge of causing some sort of enviromental hazard. I agree with Paul that purchasing stock in the Kent ammunition company may prove to be a very sound financial decision. Lots of shooting for sure but a good time had by all. Waiting on the feather pic Jeff. It's time.
Hart
hunter

Postby Get'em » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:04 pm

i finally got my first band of my life one trophy down some more to go it was awsome it was my final bird of my limit and it came right into the decoys as i was hunting a field for the few first times in my life the bird came from Maryland
Get'em
hunter

Postby fun4jake » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:21 pm

Sunday was pretty slow. not alot of birds to be found. About 20 birds all morning with only one coming into shooting range which by brother in law got. We took out his lab pup and taught it to swim and he followed my dog when he retrieved the bird out of the river. Monday we had a few more birds but a little decoy shy and only got one bird.

Mark, I still remember the look on your face when you looked down at your empty gun wondering what went wrong.

Thanks both of you guys for letting me tag along. I think I owe hart a steak for that one long retrieve he did for me. Moose did great too.

Picture to come soon.
fun4jake
hunter

Return to Montana Duck Hunting