Who smears stuff on their face for camo.....

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Who smears stuff on their face for camo.....

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:23 pm

....and why?

Ive never used face paint for ducks, but saw my mentor Pete Mauler smearing something I can only assume...and hope, was some type of camo paint on his face in an effort to fill his limit. Since he failed, while both Ray and I limited without smearing sticky, greasy stuff all over our faces, I question the value of the effort.

Thoughts on the subject?
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Who smears stuff on their face for camo.....

Postby TopWop » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:05 pm

Great, you knew that Pete is in the Foiles witness protection program! They are giving him amnesty for taking
banded ducks on MSU campus with an Atlatl, in exchange for testimony against Jeff Foiles.

Or maybe he just has a "shiny T zone" (saw it on an infomercial)
TopWop
hunter

Postby moredux » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:05 pm

:lol: thats great! i havent ever painted my face or even really worn a face mask unless it is really cold out.
moredux
hunter

Postby goosenoose » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:14 pm

I don't think you need to paint your face for MT ducks. They don't seem to care. But I think it would help a lot on geese. I have never done it. For sure on big game bowhunts.
Goose hunters shoot bigger loads.
goosenoose
hunter

Postby Frenchy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:30 pm

I wear a face mask about half the time, but never paint the face for ducks. Now while archery hunting, the face is always covered and yes sometimes with paint.
Frenchy
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:07 pm

I dont cover my face during big game either. I shoot a bull with my bow just about every year and have shot more whitetails than I can remember. My thoughts on it as well as stuff like sent loc etc, is if it boosts your confidence then it probably is improving your performance.

course if it would get me cracks at deer and elk like Goose shoots Id do it. :bow:
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby goosenoose » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:09 pm

:beer:
goosenoose
hunter

Postby Jonny Boy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:32 pm

What is wrong with smearing stuff on your face?
Jonny Boy
hunter

Postby TopWop » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 pm

:lol: That's what she said.... :lol:
TopWop
hunter

Postby wickedmfer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:47 am

I almost always use a mask when decoying ducks, and I use that camo greese paint in my layout blind. I have an SUB blind so my head sticks out a little, and since Im doing the calling most of the time, need a little somethin somethin to concel. Plus it makes me much sexier to the birds! lol
"X" <-------Best Dog...........EVER!
wickedmfer
hunter

Postby TopWop » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:23 am

Ya Know Jonny Boy, Nonya was a big fan of smearing "stuff" on his face... around deez parts.
Don't suppose you know him? If not accept my apology in advance. How about a little bio newb.
TopWop
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:53 am

Seriously? Soon we'll be starting threads to show off pictures of the 2 hen gadwall and 1 merganser we shot all weekend. Then we'll post our season totals in our signature line, hutch's will look something like this:

Season 2010-2011 TOTALS

Mallard- 9 (4 hens, 5 drakes)
Wigeon-1 hen
Coots- 16
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:24 am

Not sure I could find that many ducks.
phutch30
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:36 pm

So is it ok if I wear Wetlands Advantage pants with a Mossy Oak Duck Blind Jacket, or will the ducks see me?
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby TopWop » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:10 pm

depends on what pattern your boots are or your sling is. Just no mixing snow camo with other camo
TopWop
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:29 pm

I typically allow nature to provide my face camo in the form of facial hair....or deer turd. Which brings up a funny story. Pete trying to grow facial hair. I think hunting with Ray and I made him feel less manly. I hate to tell him his attempt at a stash isnt helping any :moon:
phutch30
hunter

Postby goosenoose » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:21 pm

This year one of my goals is to kill a trophy elk with a bow wearing blue jeans and a red shirt just to prove camo is a joke. It's all about confidence.
goosenoose
hunter

Postby Jonny Boy » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:34 pm

TopWop wrote:Ya Know Jonny Boy, Nonya was a big fan of smearing "stuff" on his face... around deez parts.
Don't suppose you know him? If not accept my apology in advance. How about a little bio newb.

Yeah, don't know any Nonya.....apology accepted. :thumbsup:
Jonny Boy
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:44 pm

Funny you should say that goose. I am nowhere near the bowhunter some on here are but three years ago I was heading into a spot for a afternoon hunt on a four wheeler. Had all my fancy scent blocking camo in a airtight bag on the back rack to change into when I got there. Passing a waterhole I spotted three cows and a nice 300 class bull running down a hill towards the water. Bailed off my quad and ran down a draw to get to the bottom of the levy on the waterhole. Listened to them play around in the water for awhile then cow called a couple of times. the cows came sprinting around the corner of the berm and ran straight at me, stopping about three yards away on the other side of a juniper. I saw the bull coming around the corner and drew my bow. He walked straight at me and stopped at thirty yards. Never killed a elk before and the combination of excitement and holding my bow at full draw forever had me shaking like a leaf. When he finally turned I missed him by a mile. afterwards I realized that I was crouched in front of a juniper on the side of the hill, behind nothing and in full view of the elk as they approached. I was wearing blue jeans and a black t-shirt and black hat. Had cows run right to me and a bull come right at me and stop at thirty yards and bugle several times. No doubt camo helps but look at some of the old timers photos of hunting. They were wearing wool pants and plaid shirts, and killing animals.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby goosenoose » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:26 am

Great story ! I have had similar experiences myself with no camo on.
goosenoose
hunter

Postby pmahler » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:18 am

I smear it on my face on sunny days or when I am exposed. If you are our messing with the decoys or off getting a wounded bird take a look back at your buddies where they are hiding & nothing sticks out more than a white shiny face.

Not saying you need to go Phil Robertson style but I like the occasional paint to break it up
pmahler
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:55 pm

I wear nothing. You look like a douce walking into a store with face paint. I can't grow a beard and I'm not young. And wearing a face mask obstructs spitting the Copenhagen, I use to swallow, but now I spit. :no: Oh no....I just set myself up for that one! :biggrin:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:58 pm

Dont feel bad Quack, Pete cant grow facial hair either.
phutch30
hunter

Postby sluttyshoveller » Fri Mar 04, 2011 3:26 pm

Ya'll are the reason that we all have to wear a face mask or paint down here in Louisiana he he. :beer:
sluttyshoveller
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Hey Slutty, y'all know the main reason you guys down there wear masks is so your sisters cant ID you. :yes:
phutch30
hunter

Next

Return to Montana Duck Hunting