Gustine CA

From Pintails to Mallards, share your Montana duck hunting stories here in the land of the Big Sky country.

Moderator: Lawdog

Gustine CA

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:20 pm

So I spent the weekend hunting on the Gustine Gun Club with a great guy. Met some other great people there also. To say it was fun would be an understatement. Totally different way of hunting at least for me. There were so many different kinds of birds flying around. We pretty much see all the same kinds of ducks as they have but just not in those numbers or plumage. So....

Day 1..
Got set up in a blind that is known for producing cinnimon teal. Thick stands of tule reeds, pretty much cover this area. Also it was so foggy you couldnt see 50 yards. At legal they hit this fire siren that you can hear for miles. So the siren goes off and my host Scott goes get ready. Im like "dude I couldnt tell a teal from a coot right now, let alone a drake". He laughed. So birds are flying all around us in the fog, you can hear them and suddenly they pop out of the fog and poof the're gone. About 15 min after legal, it gets a little lighter and I can make out species at least, and we start shooting. I'll say right now, this was way tougher than any duck hunt Ive done in MT. LOL You had maybe 5 sec to see the bird, get on it and shoot. I was further handy capped by trying to only shoot cinnimon drakes...lol. We got going were popping birds pretty regular and finally it started to clear up. But then we had another problem, this blind faced due east and when the fog lifted we were looking into the blazing sun. Making it tougher than in the fog. Had a couple of mallards swing in and he said take them, I laughed and said they were ALL his. Got down to the last couple ducks and a group of cinnimon crossed in front, right through the sun. I pulled up and THOUGHT I was on a drake and maybe I was, those buggers are fast like teal all over the place. I touched one off and swung on another, but as my first was dropping I was like crap that looks like a hen, we both teamed up on a drake that dropped dead. So Scott sends the dog for the drake and goes out to help it find the second that Im pretty sure is a hen. They find it and he laughs and goes its a hen when he get to the blind and hands it to me Im like no way!

Then it got real warm and things slowed down, Only had one crack at a drake spoon on the first day and made it count, but he wasnt really a mounter.

We went in and cleaned up and had a couple drinks and got ready for a CA waterfowl Association dinner they were having at the clubhouse that night. WOW what a spread. They had a local treat called sweet breads that sounded good and I agreed to try one. It tasted good for fried cow hypothalamus AKA part of a cows brain. They had a bunch of other stuff and the main course was great, my prime rib was like 2lbs. I actually couldnt finnish it. LOL There was some drinking also. :biggrin:

Day 2

We drew a blind known as a "super", basically a blind where the dekes stay out and the'res a hundred or so, that was famouse for spoonies. I dont know how, but it was way foggier than day 1. You couldnt see anything past 20 yards for the first 30-40 min then you could maybe see 30-35. No way you could pick out a drake anything past 20-25 though. At no time in the morning was I able to see all the decoys in the spread. There could have been 100 or 1000 in the spread, I dont know. LOL

The spinners are 10 yards from us. Furthest decoys you can see are maybe 25 yards. The fog got thicker up off the water

Throughout the morning it sounded like lots of birds flying around but we couldnt see much. We had some greenwings and a group of pintails come in that I dropped a super nice drake pintail out of. Then I popped a decent drake spoonie, but he wasnt really a mounter due to damage.

We kept hoping it would clear up, but no dice. In fact it got foggier. At about noon we decided we needed to go get cleaned up since I was flying out in a few hours. As we were taking down the spinners, a hen and 2 drakes spoonies swooped in. I dove for the shotgun and got a sweet double on the 2 drakes. Both were fantastic mature "mounters" with no damage. So after a high 5, we closed out the trip. We ended the morning with 11 birds.

My day 2 limit

It was really a great time. Since I was invited to return and make in an annual thing. I just might have too. I would love to shoot a 7 drake cinni and a 7 drake spoonie limit.
Last edited by phutch30 on Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Re: Gustine CA

Postby GGC » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Hey Paul,

Glad to see you made it home!

Thanks for the great post and the great shoots this weekend. You guys all know him I sure, but Paul is a gentleman, a great shot and a great guy, thanks for coming.

Take care and we'll get you set up for that 7 drake Cinnamon, 7 drake spoon shoot next year!
GGC
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:58 pm

I’m a little loopy this am. LOL
Thanks for a truly memorable hunt

All I can say is when you hang with a great group like Scott and his friends you tend to reflect the same.

Dont know about the great shot part...day one I went through 23 shells for 7 birds. LOL That was some of the toughest shooting I can remember.
....its like taking x-lax when you have a bad cough. It wont clear up your lungs, but it sure stops you from coughing
phutch30
hunter

Postby pgquackstacker » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:46 pm

Congrats phutch! Glad you got down there and killed the birds you wanted. :thumbsup: :beer:
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:38 pm

PG-We were going to call you or email u but didnt get to it. The east gustine club was right across the street.
phutch30
hunter

Postby pgquackstacker » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:22 am

Right on. I was pretty sure it was the same area, I grew up hunting down in that area so I'm partial to it :thumbsup:
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:28 am

Congrats Hutch looks like you got what you were after and a band to boot :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby forrestfromarkansas » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:31 am

if you want to kill spoonies, go to stuttgart, the "used to shoot tons of greenheads" capitol of the world. now its the spoonie capitol. If you tell farmers you want to kill nothing but spoonies, they'll probably hug you and give you money for shells. not too many cinni's. saw one small group buzzing down the arkansas river (close to oklahoma) early in the season.
forrestfromarkansas
hunter

Postby K-Town » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:31 pm

Nice! I'm surprised you didnt shoot any specs.
K-Town
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Nice man, that looks like fun. I've got to check the cinny off my list. Funny that you can shoot 100s of ducks in MT, literally piling them up, but you've got to go to another state to get a banded bird.
Troutslayer
hunter

Postby Vav » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Very nice phutch I tried for an all drake spoon limit over the weekend shot 5 drakes and then couldnt resist on the 2 bull sprig landing right in front of me. Very nice on the band also.
Vav
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:45 pm

Trout- Il take a band any way I can get one, Hey show us yours. :biggrin:

Hart stole my MT band this year. LOL not really but thats my excuse. i average a band about every 175-180 birds, it just took a few more this year is all.
phutch30
hunter

Postby hntndux » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:42 pm

Nice story, Im glad you had a great/safe trip, Im not to sure about you MT /Cali bashin/ duck killers coming down here though!!!!. ANyway, A great way to end the season...Till next year hntndux
hntndux
hunter

Postby goosenoose » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:40 am

Awesome! Glad to see you living your dream. Looks like fun.
Goose hunters shoot bigger loads.
goosenoose
hunter

Postby flatbed » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:30 am

Thanks foe the end of the season fix. Looks like a lot of fun with some good people!
flatbed
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:20 pm

Very nice :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby d tree's » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Paul,
I am really glad your hunt worked out so well even picked up a band ! , sounds like a great club and you even got to go to a CWA dinner to boot :thumbsup: congrats ,D

PSLooks like you made the right call some great colored birds and no cinnys where I was just a bunch of geese with funny marks on there chest and my partner got his first goose band lucky sob :beer: ,D

d tree's
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:48 pm

I love specks. Ive only shot two in my life and both came down on the same shot. LOL
phutch30
hunter

Postby marcbme » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:47 am

I grew up in that area. Despite how much California sucks now, there is still good hunting to be had.
Lord......let me be as good a hunter as my dog thinks I am....amen
marcbme
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Nice work Hutch! You got what you were going for!! Plus, a band! See...sometimes shootin' hens pays off! :lol3: Congrats on a great hunt. I said it once and I'll say it again....I'm envious!! :yes:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby phutch30 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:35 pm

Thats my first and only non mallard band. It looks so cute and little next to my other ones

Plus its not from Alberta or MT

INFORMATION FROM OUR FILES:
> Band Number: 1095-43383
> Where bird was banded: Oregon
> Date banded: 08/12/2010
> Species: Unidentified Teal
phutch30
hunter

Postby montana quackhead » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:17 am

:thumbsup:
Give me some quack and I'll never work again
montana quackhead
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:40 pm

phutch30 wrote:Thats my first and only non mallard band. It looks so cute and little next to my other ones

Plus its not from Alberta or MT

INFORMATION FROM OUR FILES:
> Band Number: 1095-43383
> Where bird was banded: Oregon
> Date banded: 08/12/2010
> Species: Unidentified Teal

Did it say where specifically in OR? Good chance it was banded in Summer Lake. They do alot of banding in August. I volunteered down there two summers in a row a few years back. It was a pretty neat experience :smile:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby phutch30 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:31 am

It didnt say online. I havent got the paper certificate yet. I hunted Summer once on the opener what a zoo.

Jonesey- You get my pm on the special speck season?
phutch30
hunter

Postby Troutslayer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:37 pm

I went looking around out here on the coast the other day to see what I might get to shoot at next season. I saw more drake spoonies than i have ever seen, hundreds if not thousands of them. I also saw a eurasian wigeon and a flock of brant. Tons of the usual ducks too, lots of pintail out here. I wish I had my camera with me.
Troutslayer
hunter

Next

Return to Montana Duck Hunting